Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of ideas for adding two elements from WW to A Few Acres.

First idea: put each sides leader counters into their own cups. When a siege takes place, each side then draws one leader and adds either 0, 1, or 2, depending on the number on the counter drawn. If you want to make it easier, just take three counters for each side, one with 0, one with 1, and one with 2. Or, you would only draw a counter if you have a military leader card.

Second idea: Wilderness War is filled with military units for both sides. Look at the counter mix and select an even number, both in amount and in the total number of strength points represented in the counters, and place them in their own cups. For each military unit you have on a card that you play during a siege, make a random draw and add that counter's strength points to your total for the siege.

I have some more ideas to consider.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Byrens
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has a much broader scope then Wilderness War - i.e. it's more of a civ game which includes more than 100 years before the time frame of Wilderness War. Why mess with it!!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
bentlarsen wrote:

Stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
civplayer wrote:
This game has a much broader scope then Wilderness War - i.e. it's more of a civ game which includes more than 100 years before the time frame of Wilderness War. Why mess with it!!?

If you don't like the ideas, do not use them. A Few Acres is a wonderful game, as in Wilderness War. Neither of these ideas may work in practice. But for anyone, like myself, looking for a bit more of a wargaming or simulation punch, there is no harm.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Stop

With this sort of attitude at work, it is a wonder that Martin Wallace even designed A Few Acres. shake

In fact, I am surprised you gave him your permission. ninja

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john mcnamara
United States
grand rapids
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Srry u are being condemned for using your imagination and having ideas while playing with board games. Im glad to hear ur ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:

Stop.
In the name of Gov.

Before he shrinks your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
bentlarsen wrote:
Quote:
Stop

With this sort of attitude at work, it is a wonder that Martin Wallace even designed A Few Acres.

Quite the opposite. Design is about cutting, not adding. A good designer knows that most ideas are bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
civplayer wrote:

It's only natural to play a game a handful of times and come up with variants. Welcome to BGG...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could figure out a way to make ships cool, I'd love to hear some ideas about that.

To be honest, some cards that randomly assign defense to the town instead of the built in one could be cool. 2 zeros, 2 ones, and a two in as a small side deck could be drawn from when it's time to siege, representing the leadership present to deal with a siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i7dealer wrote:
To be honest, some cards that randomly assign defense to the town instead of the built in one could be cool. 2 zeros, 2 ones, and a two in as a small side deck could be drawn from when it's time to siege, representing the leadership present to deal with a siege.

As far as I can see, this (and a previous suggestion) is just adding luck to the game. Of course the game isn't luck-free, but much of the point of the game is to manage that luck as best you can (e.g. using Governor and reserve). As described this would be an unmanageable piece of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
i7dealer wrote:

As far as I can see, this (and a previous suggestion) is just adding luck to the game. Of course the game isn't luck-free, but much of the point of the game is to manage that luck as best you can (e.g. using Governor and reserve). As described this would be an unmanageable piece of luck.

That's what I thought when I read them. Of course, if anyone prefers to play that way (in the name of historical accuracy or whatever), that's fine. Just don't (as I mentioned earlier in another thread) do it in my games.

I have to admit a part of me said "Stop" when I read OP's suggestion, even though I have no right (suggesting variants is obviously a good thing). I just like the game the way it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:

Stop.

In the name of Gov.

Before he shrinks your deck.

I just figured out what you're doing. I applaud your Supremely humorous advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have to admit a part of me said "Stop" when I read OP's suggestion, even though I have no right (suggesting variants is obviously a good thing). I just like the game the way it is.

Quote:
It's only natural to play a game a handful of times and come up with variants. Welcome to BGG..

As for these, I really do not understand the mentality that says a person should not explore new ideas.

I am not defending my two suggestions. But I do defend the right for myself, or any other gamer, to suggest alternatives. For those of you--Larry? Mark? Clyde?--who may have missed my review, I love A Few Acres. I just wondered about adding a touch of Wilderness War. Those who do not have the WW, or who do not like wargames, or who feel A Few Acres is perfect as it is are free to ignore my suggestions.

And Larry Levy! Hello! I am the OP. Please do not talk as if I am not in the room. Or is this how your mother raised you?

Yes, welcome to BGG, where any one is free to post silly comments such as those that criticize other people who post variants. Thank you for your positive contribution to the discussion, markgravitygood. You do BGG proud.

I am not surprised at those who spend more time in slinging insults and who demonstrate their supposed wit on BGG, but I am still disappointed at the parochial minds who are constantly at work. These are the same minds who ignored turtlecolor's comments. What's the matter, Larry? Cat got your tongue, Mark?

Christopher Dearlove--no member of my fan club--did something that neither of you did. First, he did not criticize me for daring to make a suggestion. Second, he expressed ideas on why these variant ideas will not, in his view, work.

He allowed me the freedom to think outside the box that is A Few Acres, and he respectfully disagreed.

Is this beyond the others?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Christopher Dearlove--no member of my fan club

Not really a fan sort of person. And if someone says something I agree with I usually don't have anything to add, so most of my contributions are disagreements. But I try to judge the material not the person. Don't always succeed, but fortunately most of my failures are in RSP (and even then you have to read between the lines).

There is a philosophical argument against variants, that they can fragment the community. If you play a lot of games with different people (for example at conventions) then it's a big drawback if you can't all sit down and play the game without an extended discussion about what the rules are. But of course people can do what they want. If I were making requests to people who use variants I'd ask that they don't teach people the game with variants without making it clear what the actual rules of the game are, and preferably lets them try the original first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
It's only natural to play a game a handful of times and come up with variants. Welcome to BGG..

As for these, I really do not understand the mentality that says a person should not explore new ideas.

I am not defending my two suggestions. But I do defend the right for myself, or any other gamer, to suggest alternatives. For those of you--Larry? Mark? Clyde?--who may have missed my review, I love A Few Acres. I just wondered about adding a touch of Wilderness War. Those who do not have the WW, or who do not like wargames, or who feel A Few Acres is perfect as it is are free to ignore my suggestions.

And Larry Levy! Hello! I am the OP. Please do not talk as if I am not in the room. Or is this how your mother raised you?

Yes, welcome to BGG, where any one is free to post silly comments such as those that criticize other people who post variants. Thank you for your positive contribution to the discussion, markgravitygood. You do BGG proud.

I am not surprised at those who spend more time in slinging insults and who demonstrate their supposed wit on BGG, but I am still disappointed at the parochial minds who are constantly at work. These are the same minds who ignored turtlecolor's comments. What's the matter, Larry? Cat got your tongue, Mark?

Christopher Dearlove--no member of my fan club--did something that neither of you did. First, he did not criticize me for daring to make a suggestion. Second, he expressed ideas on why these variant ideas will not, in his view, work.

He allowed me the freedom to think outside the box that is A Few Acres, and he respectfully disagreed.

Is this beyond the others?

goo

1) Who said you should not explore new ideas?
2) Nobody is taking your rights away. paranoid delusional.
3) I simply welcomed you. the fact that your oversensitivity got the best of you is not my fault. Was it a bit tongue-in-cheeek? maaaayyyybeeeee...
4) I did not criticize your ideas, no matter how paranoid you are about it. One has to wonder the current exhausted, mental state of someone who flies off the handle like you have in this thread. I'll chalk it up to "Friday" and the long work week you likely experienced.
5) I slung no insults. Take it back!
6) If anyone's tongue should be 'got' by a cat, it's yours.
7) AGAIN - Nobody is disallowing you your 'out of the box' thoughts. get over yourself, pleeeeaase.

8) HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play the original first and often, and this would be how I would teach it to others.

I think A Few Acres of Snow, with the addition of your FAQ, and any ongoing clarification through a set of living rules, is a gem.

I do enjoy reading history books, and I began reading some period titles after setting up A Few Acres. After writing the review, and continuing with some reading, my mind went to Wilderness War. From there I wondered about adding a bit more wargaming "umpahpah" into the mix.

The further I get into the semester, on both sides of the desk, the less I will stir up the pot by suggestion such blasphemy; I simply won't have the time.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
3) I simply welcomed you. the fact that your oversensitivity got the best of you is not my fault. Was it a bit tongue-in-cheeek? maaaayyyybeeeee...
4) I did not criticize your ideas, no matter how paranoid you are about it. One has to wonder the current exhausted, mental state of someone who flies off the handle like you have in this thread. I'll chalk it up to "Friday" and the long work week you likely experienced.
7) AGAIN - Nobody is disallowing you your 'out of the box' thoughts. get over yourself, pleeeeaase.

Actually, we both know you could be kidding, both now and earlier. But earlier, it just looked, within the context of those comments left before and after, as piling on. And now? Well, there is enough said here to suggest something other than joshing.

If a person chooses to defend himself, then he is full of himself. Is this how it works?

I will keep that in mind the next time I want to be the role of "bully."

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not criticize anyone, I just like the Supremes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I did not criticize anyone, I just like the Supremes.

Now you're just be scary. Very scary. zombie

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Quote:

Actually, we both know you could be kidding, both now and earlier. But earlier, it just looked, within the context of those comments left before and after, as piling on. And now? Well, there is enough said here to suggest something other than joshing.

If a person chooses to defend himself, then he is full of himself. Is this how it works?

goo

Defend yourself til the cows come home. Just don't go tossing out accusations about 'suppression of ideas', taking your rights away, and slinging insults and the like. It's the internet, man! It's not like we are sitting around a conference table and somebody is out-shouting you and *actually* supressing you voicing your ideas, is it? Feel free to explore your ideas. If I think they are assinine (which I have not) I'll let you know, but don't let that stop you, by all means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember - if you see something you want to react negatively to, flag it and forget it.

Using the icon serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like the idea of variants, then don't read the thread and absolutely don't reply to it, unless you are giving very good constructive criticism. Just because you don't think the game would benefit with a variant doesn't mean that nobody does.

I know some of you were trying to be funny (e.g., "Stop."). But in reality you are just being rude and mean.

markgravitygood wrote:
bentlarsen wrote:
Quote:

goo

Defend yourself til the cows come home. Just don't go tossing out accusations about 'suppression of ideas', taking your rights away, and slinging insults and the like. It's the internet, man! It's not like we are sitting around a conference table and somebody is out-shouting you and *actually* supressing you voicing your ideas, is it? Feel free to explore your ideas. If I think they are assinine (which I have not) I'll let you know, but don't let that stop you, by all means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.