Subject: Free shipping to NZ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon UK has free shipping on books, movies and music to AU and NZ atm for orders over 25 pound. Just noticed that it applies to some boardgames too.

Haven't found an easy way of sorting which games are or aren't available for free shipping though, but here's two that are:

Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Keltis: Das Kartenspiel

Most of the games are slightly more expensive than the US, but considering the free shipping, end up overall a lot cheaper.

Wickedly cheap prices on Bluray's compared to NZ i.e. the LoTR extended bluray is selling for about $200 here, Amazon has it for 42 pound with VAT (which we don't pay when it goes through to checkout I don't think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ also has free shipping to NZ. They have a fairly decent collection of FFG titles:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=Fantasy+Fl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ also has free shipping to NZ. They have a fairly decent collection of FFG titles:

Yeah, does seem interesting that its only the UK stores starting to do the free shipping thing. Tis great though, even though most of them are slightly more expensive and the NZ $ isnt as good against the pound.

If just one US store started it though, the credit card would be smoking! Good dollar and usually cheaper prices initially. Looking at games, some are probably still cheaper to get from the US with shipping compared to the UK $.

And then some aren't much cheaper than NZ costs (Mansion's of Madness is only $124 at SeriouslyBoard, with the Book Depository price coming to about $110 NZ). From the US though its selling at $62NZ, so if there was a way to avoid the shipping....

or as my grandmother used to say, if if's and ands were pots and pans then tinkers would be wealthy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
And then some aren't much cheaper than NZ costs (Mansion's of Madness is only $124 at SeriouslyBoard, with the Book Depository price coming to about $110 NZ). From the US though its selling at $62NZ, so if there was a way to avoid the shipping....

By my calculations (http://www.google.co.nz/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=47...) it's about $90 NZ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
To check this I went through the Amazon process and most games won't ship to NZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it needs to be items sold directly by Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mb
alexgrant wrote:

For Book Depository you might want to read this if you prefer your boxes intact: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/696729/bookdepository-though... Might be an isolated case, and maybe they'll resolve the situation in a satisfying way, but it's something to keep in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of retailers in New Zealand, and as others have pointed out their prices on games are pretty competitive. Plus your dollars stay in the local economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quelf elf wrote:
There are lots of retailers in New Zealand, and as others have pointed out their prices on games are pretty competitive. Plus your dollars stay in the local economy.

Sure. We do that. A number of games are not available here and also there are times when you can get games for 25%-50% cheaper.

Define local economy in the NZ 'we own nothing here' and 99% of games are printed overseas context.

A quick look at my collection I have bought 75% locally. BUT what does that mean?

Some examples:
I recently got a second hand copy of Citadels, so i bought locally. I don't know if it was bought new locally and it says clearly on the side 'made in China' and the ownership of the copyright is from the US.

Nearly 2 years ago I bought Havana from an overseas game shop. It has only gone on sale here in the last 4 months, and even factoring in postage it was cheaper to get that copy than it would be to buy it locally now ($73 + postage versus at least 80 ex postage currently) and i have played it at least 20 times before it went on sale here.

I have a copy of 13 Dead End Drive I bought from Trade Me (think local Ebay). It came to me from New Plymouth but my impression is it has never retailed here - it is printed in China. It comes from a small trader who seems to import container loads of games and other stuff.

The extension of what you say is maybe we only buy locally printed games, or locally retailed games?

One of the advantages of modern economies is getting goods you don't make locally or can't get locally (or won't get for a long time locally).

I'd say in North America it's different. I've read with envy some of the thrift shop threads- we just don't have that scale or availability, so many games were never retailed here.

edits - there are local stores here who do try and get games not available here through contacts - but often they can't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the heads up meeple

moonglow wrote:
alexgrant wrote:

Yeah, does seem interesting that its only the UK stores starting to do the free shipping thing. Tis great though, even though most of them are slightly more expensive and the NZ $ isnt as good against the pound.

If just one US store started it though, the credit card would be smoking! Good dollar and usually cheaper prices initially. Looking at games, some are probably still cheaper to get from the US with shipping compared to the UK $.

or as my grandmother used to say, if if's and ands were pots and pans then tinkers would be wealthy...

In case you were actually shopping for it, Fishpond.co.nz currently has Mansions of Madness: First Edition for $99.95 (40% off ?!!) .. AND free shipping lol whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for something more local, gamegate has a very good price on Minty's RWC game, Five Men Standing.
http://thegamegate.co.nz/node/670
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tankgrlnz wrote:
Cheers for the heads up meeple

moonglow wrote:
alexgrant wrote:

In case you were actually shopping for it, Fishpond.co.nz currently has Mansions of Madness: First Edition for $99.95 (40% off ?!!) .. AND free shipping lol whistle

Nice! Wasn't specifically looking for it, just seemed a good case study. But at that price I might think about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up. Have made two purchases as a result. Both arrived quickly and not having to pay for postage is a real treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. Have made two purchases as a result. Both arrived quickly and not having to pay for postage is a real treat.

What were your two purchases? I got a copy of Keltis Das Kartenspiel (which is not imported into NZ anyhow) but couldn't find any other games worth buying. I did buy a couple of books (at ridiculously cheap prices) to get the order over 25 GBP though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Dickson
ACT
flag msg tools
??!
badge
And when you gaze long into Ducky Momo, Ducky Momo also gazes into you.
mb
moonglow wrote:
Haven't found an easy way of sorting which games are or aren't available for free shipping though, but here's two that are:

Survive: Escape from Atlantis
Keltis: Das Kartenspiel

I believe it's games which are erroneously classified as books. You can tell because on the pages for Survive and Keltis: Das Kartenspiel it says "Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 123,456 in Books" rather than "in Toys & Games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Ok weird, but I have never understood amazon's policy anyway whereby they won't ship games. Fair enough if they are regular game-box size, but many of the smaller card games are way smaller than a book anyhow.

The odd thing was the books I ordered are not available to around end October so they implication was that they would hold the whole order until the books were ready (which was fine with me) yet Keltis Das Kartenspiel turned up by itself. I'm not paying the freight (so I don't care), but surely that can't be very efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Oh Ok weird, but I have never understood amazon's policy anyway whereby they won't ship games.

I've always assumed it's part of combatting parallel importing. Rather than working out who has the rights to import items published by HASBRO etc... they just won't allow people in some regions to use Amazon to import games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Oh Ok weird, but I have never understood amazon's policy anyway whereby they won't ship games.

I've always assumed it's part of combatting parallel importing. Rather than working out who has the rights to import items published by HASBRO etc... they just won't allow people in some regions to use Amazon to import games

Yeah - that makes sense Sam, I kind of had it in my mind that that was a factor as well. I suspect that Pixelpark won't be importing Keltis das Kartenspiel so I don't feel too bad about it - plus I got one of my favourite author's (Murakami) latest book(s) in hardback for ridiculous prices (like 10 GBP and 7 GBP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
I've bought off The Book Depository for a lot of books and bits and they are now owned buy Amazon UK anyway (disgruntled person leaves Amazon UK, sets up Book Depository, makes money, Amazon UK buys Book Depository, disgruntled person happy?). The majority of books have been delivered quickly and packaged well.

This regional thing always bugged me, especially the DVD zoning (which is redundant with the internet now).

There are some games which I'd really like to try but New Zealand just is not a big enough market to warrant bringing them in. That said I have a reluctance to order any games from the UK after seeing the BGG threads regarding shipping from Book Depository and to a lesser extent Amazon UK. I received a card games lot and all of them were damaged in some way.

For the most part however it is the most affordable way to buy as an Irish peasant peddling Kiwi pesos zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.