So I followed Grift's advice and I know own:

2 core sets
1 Princes of the Sun
1 Kings of the Sea
1 Refugees of War
1 Ancient Enemies
1 Sacred bonds.

So, now what?

Has anybody put together some good decks that use this specific combination well? I'd like to start on a good basis before I go about messing with the decks for my own enjoyment.

Cheers,
vanAdamme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
We just followed a suggestion I got somewhere here: 60 card decks, 25% locations, 25% events/attachments, 25% 1-2 cost characters, 25% 3+ cost characters.

We only had 1 core set, but had the other sets you have. We divided up the cards into their houses, then handed out the neutral cards in a semi-random/semi-choosing way to make sure everyone had a reasonably equal number of neutral characters/events/etc., then built decks.....

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
vanadamme wrote:

2 core sets
1 Princes of the Sun
1 Kings of the Sea
1 Refugees of War
1 Ancient Enemies
1 Sacred bonds.

So, now what?

Has anybody put together some good decks that use this specific combination well? I'd like to start on a good basis before I go about messing with the decks for my own enjoyment.

Cheers,
vanAdamme

www.cardgamedb.com

Plenty of decks there to fool around with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

I've looked around there already but is there a way of searching for pre-set decks using specifically the sets that I own? I've found that I'm just looking through decks then discovering they require a set or two that I don't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I'm aware of. I'm afraid you might have to resort to a touch of deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
vanadamme wrote:

2 core sets
1 Princes of the Sun
1 Kings of the Sea
1 Refugees of War
1 Ancient Enemies
1 Sacred bonds.

So, now what?

You won't have too long to wait before you'll have the opportunity to buy more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vanadamme wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

I've looked around there already but is there a way of searching for pre-set decks using specifically the sets that I own? I've found that I'm just looking through decks then discovering they require a set or two that I don't have.

There isnt' a way to filter submitted decks by specific sets but a good place to start would be the Decks built from 2x core set thread. There is a deck in there for each house which would be great decks to start with and then add in the cards from your 3 chapter packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
There isnt' a way to filter submitted decks by specific sets but a good place to start would be the Decks built from 2x core set thread. There is a deck in there for each house which would be great decks to start with and then add in the cards from your 3 chapter packs.

Yeah, that's a great resource.

Those decks should be a really great starting point for you. Put them together, try out each one a couple of times, then start hacking out cards that you find bad/useless/unexciting and replacing them with others from the chapter packs.

Your first changes may well include the following (but this is all personal preference stuff):

* Changing Greyjoy's plot deck, ASAP. You'll probably soon find that it doesn't have a good way to make use of all of the 'extra challenge' and 'intrigue gambit' events that KotS comes with. Give those to other houses and let Greyjoy have some of the more normal plots from the core/PotS (seriously; Stay of Execution isn't much good to anybody before you do some more deckbuilding, Breaking of Oaths is Martell/Lannister to the core, and Promise of Victory is possibly one for the spares-box... out of the box, Greyjoy's plot deck sucks).

* Adding the Refugee cards to all of your decks. Those guys are all sensational and help to ensure strong setups and early game board presence. If I was doing this, I'd use them as straight-up additions to the given decklists (Lannister and Stark will probably both get much better with them), or as substitutes for whichever 'weenies' you find least useful in each deck.

* Using the 'Fury Of' plots. They're all great and will outshine most of the other options in your collection. Rip out whichever plot you're finding most uninspiring (or plain old 'dead') from each deck and start getting crazy (I remember that I used to find; Blockade, Power and Wealth, Rains of Autumn and Tourney for the Hand fairly dull and uninteresting).

* Similarly, giving everybody one of the 'extra challenge' events from KotS. Each house has a loose 'favourite' (Stark/Greyjoy: Military, Lannister/Martell: Intrigue, Baratheon/Targaryen: Power) that they'll probably enjoy being able to pull off twice in a turn.

* Removing some of the duplicate uniques from the decks and replacing them with strong characters from the chapter packs (and/or the Heralds). For example, Stark might enjoy losing neutral all-rounders Jon Snow and Benjen, and gaining Feral Pack, Cat-o-the-Canals, and Bear Island instead (this will push up Stark's power level... and I appreciate that it's not really 'flavour friendly').

* Experimenting with the 'To be A' events. All of which are off-the-charts powerful (though some are more insane than others; e.g. Targaryen>Lannister) and can be easily slipped into your existing decks once you've armed them with their respective 'Fury Of' and 'Extra Challenge' plots.

* Yanking out rubbish from Targaryen and giving them Dragon Thieves instead (Qartheen Fanatic... Really?). Who are just plain old cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.