Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it worked well solitaire as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's good news. Especially since I already ordered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was speaking to the old SPI version. I don't know about the new version. I have no idea what changes if any there are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that the rules are the same, but the counters are updated and maybe the charts over on CSW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I've got the game (new ed.), am a solitaire gamer, and can see no problems with playing it solo. I'd say the situation, Sovs plug holes, Germans attack, is pretty good for solitaire--not a fluid situation! But,boy, it is a complicated situation both sides face! I've got it set-up but am not sure what to do--re-reading the rules... Looks really interesting, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting for this game.
Where can I found the game rules to start reading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely. Positioning the Russians is more of a puzzle/chess-like game, while the Germans are very flexible and aggressive. The Russians don't move very much, so I could see action-oriented wargamers actually getting bored with the Russians in a two-player game. Personally, I enjoy trying to maximize their placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"But, boy, it is a complicated situation both sides face! I've got it set-up but am not sure what to do."

Germans, things to do early -

(1) Kill the weak bubble of Russians off to the northwest of the city before any of them can withdraw. This means lots of overruns by strong armor-led stacks to break up their lines and push clear through them. Then infantry can pour through and surround things. Don't overlook the chance to blast holes before even starting to move using German air - in the open against thin lines of infantry, that stuff is a terror.

(2) Take the Kurgan - hill VP location, to help your own and hinder Russian artillery and also just to have the VP location. It is also a good position to threaten the harder half of the city to take.

(3) Drive into the southern city, around the grain silo and train station objectives, before the Russians get too many reinforcements in that area. This is the hardest of the early objectives in terrain terms, but right at the start is probably the easiest time to take that ground. Not easy, it will cost blood, but delay won't make that eventual price go down.

You can probably do 2 of those on turn 1, well, but not all 3.

Russian things to do early -

(1) run like hell and get into the built up, good terrain locations, and into stacks of 2 units. Single units and positions in the open are easy for the Germans to kill with little loss. 2 units in good terrain will have the firepower to kill at least some of the attackers sent against them.

(2) use early reinforcements to get something in the central city, and some kind of back up line behind the outer crust. Form some kind of reserve around the 62nd Army HQ to be able to react to major German pushes. 1d6 units per reaction is very little, you need to supplement that with the HQ radius guys and the new arrivals, just to plug the biggest gaping holes.

(3) shoot back and kill Germans. That is, after all, the long term plan, in all its magnificant nuance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.