Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

INTRODUCTION
Eruption is a quick, light, tile-laying game riddled with back stabbing. In Eruption you are one of 6 villages on a volcanic island whose volcano has erupted. You'll be frantically defending your village with walls, while opportunistically attacking your neighboring villages by directing the flow of lava toward them. It's for ages 10 and up. Plays in under an hour. And can play from 2-6 people. Let's take a look!

My PnP Build

How to Win
Around the edge of the island, you'll see the burn meter track.

The burn meter track will keep track of how hot your village is getting and unfortunately that doesn't mean hot village women will be moving in but rather a river of hot lava is flowing into your village and burning everyone you've know your entire life. Yay! The burn meter track also gives you special abilities depending which danger zone you are in.

The burn meter track begins at 0 degrees and ends at 290 degrees. When a player's ends his turn with a 290 degree village OR there aren't any more lava tiles, the game ends. The player with the coldest village wins.

How to Play
Gameplay is pretty simple. On your turn you'll (1) move up the burn meter (2) place a tile (3) play cards (4) build walls. And if you forget the board has cheat sheets on every corner to help remind you. You can kinda see them in this picture on the corners of the game board.

How it Flows
Basically, you'll be laying tiles down and directing the lava towards your opponents' village.

If you put a tile on a hex with material on it (straw, wood, stone) then you can put a wall of that material into your private stockpile.

If you put a tile and lava touches your opponents' village, you'll draw a card. Cards are important because they can do some pretty powerful things: rotate, replace, place or remove lava tiles; switch, remove, or build walls; and even lower the temperature of your village. Cards can even be discarded to place more tiles or build walls. Walls are pretty handy as they block lava flow on your village border or anywhere on the island.

Final Thoughts
It's fun. It's a fun game. You'll definitely be laughing when you watch someone else's village burn, and you'll definitely be whining when yours is being burned. It's fast. It's simple. It's light. I'd put it somewhere between gateway and middle-weight. I liked the burn meter mechanic and how you can do more things on your turn the hotter you got. I liked the player sheets on the corners of the board. I liked the tiles, and I love that it plays up to 6 people. The dice mechanic to test wall strength was not bad. It wasn't great, but it was simple enough and dice rolls always make a game more exciting. The instruction manual was done fairly well. Lots of examples of how to place and not to place lava tiles.

However...
there were quite a few things I didn't like. I didn't like the card design. I thought they were very functional and easy to understand, but they didn't look as good as the rest of the game. Wow, look at this bright and vibrant island with lots of colors. Oh, look at this black and gray card. Yay.

So no points for card design. (The Easter Island backs were my design. The original pdf didn't have card backs.) But that's just a minor thing. The main problem was that there weren't too many interesting decisions to be made. I know I said it was a light game, but even light games can have interesting decisions. At least in Survive: Escape from Atlantis! you can move a shark, move a whale, eat people, swim, take a boat, etc. Here it's lava here get a card? lava there get a wall? lava there and watch Andy whine and cry that it's not fair? 1/3 of the way through the game you know who's going to lose and you know who'll most likely win-a runaway loser mechanic if you will. Also, in the last 3rd of the game, placing tiles became rather difficult (not much open space) and useless because everyone's village border was already full. The Danger Zone 3 ability to place an extra tile seemed way too weak that late in the game. I think switching the Danger Zone 2 & 3 abilities would have been better, but bump it up to drawing 3 cards. When the game ends there's an extra bonus round where everyone gets another turn, but it was kind of useless and unnecessary. None of us could see how it would change who won the game. There should be a handicap for the 1st player or slight advantages for the later players in turn order. Going first is incredibly too advantageous. There were also some balancing issues. It can play up to 6 but... the 5 player game looks too imbalanced, the 4 player game needs to be done in teams, 3 player is okay, and 2 player seems fine.

At The End Of The Day
It's not a bad game. It's a good game. Not a great game, but a good one. Light, fast, and most importantly fun. You'll definitely enjoy burning someone else's village to the ground. I'd recommend this for 3, 4 or 6 players with the 4 player team variant. I would definitely give this game a try. It might not be the main dish of the night but it's definitely a good game to wind down with and an even better one to start the night off with. Get that vengeful rampaging blood pumping! We played it again with some house rules thrown in and it worked much better and we found it to be much more enjoyable. But it's mostly enjoyable when...

you're in the DANGER ZONE!!!

*This was my first BIG review so any feedback is appreciated.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good first review - that didn't read like a first review. Thank you. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

Pictures good.

I like that you breezed through how to play, and really liked the section with your opinions. Well written, hit home the plusses and minusses.

And extra points for the Archer references!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Very good first review - that didn't read like a first review. Thank you. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive.

Thanks! I tried to keep it brief and to the point. Or like my Chemistry teacher in Highschool said, "Your essay should be like a girl's skirt-long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep it interesting."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdahl wrote:
Nice review!

Pictures good.

I like that you breezed through how to play, and really liked the section with your opinions. Well written, hit home the plusses and minusses.

And extra points for the Archer references!

Archer's back this month with 3 more episodes!

Have you seen Regis today?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.