Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is a bit of a hard-to-field question, so I'm going to try to explain it as best as I can.

Upon one of my "weakly recommended" trails a few months ago browsing through games I came across a very different style of game which I was hoping to track down.

I don't know if it is just a niche genre or just specific to one series of game(s), but it was a 1v1 combat game that involved using books. I believe it was Japanese, and each "book" was actually your character. Each player had their own book, or character, which you would then read through and flip between pages like a Choose Your Own Adventure for outcomes of combat and other effects throughout the game.

There was no rule books or anything, basically the books contained all the rules you needed, if I recall correctly. I vaguely remember the characters depicting a majority Manga-style female characters.

I'm trying to hunt down the game in question, but more importantly I'm hoping there is either an English translation for the game or perhaps it is a niche genre and several games similar to this.

Any help pointing in the right direction would be overly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Queen's Blade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably looking for something like Lost Worlds.

This game has been published with Dinosaurs, Warhammer 40K-titans, Star Wars X-wing fighters. figher airplanes, Knights of the Dinner Table and Dragonriders of Pern.

And of course, Mangas: Queen's Gate.
Is this the game you're looking for?

I think you can easily play this one with rules from a book published in another, English, series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

Oh boy, beaten by mere seconds meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

Wow that was quick! I love the BGG community! It seams there are only a few of the characters available in English though? If at all?

PzVIE wrote:
You're probably looking for something like Lost Worlds.

This game has been published with Dinosaurs, Warhammer 40K-titans, Star Wars X-wing fighters. figher airplanes, Knights of the Dinner Table and Dragonriders of Pern.

Thanks, was hoping that there were more & you've certainly pointed me in the right direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the White Warlord and Black Baron books. They were the same. Also look for the Ace of Aces series featuring aerial combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the actual titles but there were some Marvel comics that did something like that. One issue was Spider-Man, one was Wolverine, etc. They each came with a reference card or score card of some kind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here they are: Marvel Battlebooks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.