Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys/gals im just getting back into Magic and was wondering what the best sets or blocks were to come out after the Urza's block where i left off. Im willing to plunck some money into this but i dont want to get stuck with another set like Fallen Empiresgulp.I have assess to most of the sets through various online sites but if you know of a good place to find older cards let me know.

Some of the sets i knew id like and picked up already are the 4X common/uncommon play sets of the M12 core set, Mirrodin Beseiged,and Scars. I figure i can just hand pick the rares i want at a local store and will still save a boat load over opening a thousand random packs trying to get what i want.


Thanks for any help/advice you can give me on this topic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the Odyssey block, I thought it had some good stuff in it.
Also the Ravnica: City of Guilds block was really good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the older ones compared to the more recent releases.

My favorites: Invasion Block (Invasion, Planeshift)
Onslaught Block (Scourge, Legions, Onslaught)
Kamigawa block (Champions, Betrayers, Saviors) was pretty cool
Ravnica was definitely well done.
Anything after Time Spiral for me sucks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are Ravnica and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.

Time Spiral indeed sucks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormcow wrote:
My favorites are Ravnica and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.

Time Spiral indeed sucks.



What he said. Exactly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravinca was an awesome set. The new set coming out in a week is Innestrad and looks to be really cool.

Kamigawa Block was cool flavor wise but a huge portion of cards from those sets suck.

Depending on what you like each set has different things to offer.

Big into tribes you want Lorwyn. Like Multicolor you want Ravnica or Shards of Alrara Block. Like Artifacts you want Mirrodin or Scars of Mirrodin.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Invasion block and Ravnica block were some of my favorites (although I haven't played the couple most recent blocks, so I am not sure about them).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
Stormcow wrote:
My favorites are Ravnica and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.

Time Spiral indeed sucks.



What he said. Exactly.


I was one of those few players who thought Time Spiral was one of the greatest blocks ever made. Never understood all the hate for it.

That being said, it's definitely not one I would recommend for someone getting back into the game.

Ravnica has already been mentioned tons of times, but I will back that up as probably the greatest block to use for deckbuilding. The problem with a lot of the sets like Scars of Mirrodin and Lorwyn is they kind of force you into making the same sort of decks everyone else does. Ravnica block had so many cool mechanics that you could build decks for years and not end up making the same one twice. Plus, many of the cards start getting all new use when you buy the newer sets.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want a 'fun' set, or something powerful? As the years go on, the sets have gotten more and more powerful, so you'd get plenty of good cards out of recent common/uncommon sets. Of course, prices have went way up for rares with the addition of mythic rares......
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
Do you want a 'fun' set, or something powerful? As the years go on, the sets have gotten more and more powerful, so you'd get plenty of good cards out of recent common/uncommon sets. Of course, prices have went way up for rares with the addition of mythic rares......


How do you figure? Lots of the rares and even some of the mythics still sit at the standard 0.50 to 1.00 range, and most don't go above 2-4. The only cards that cost huge bucks are the standard staples, which is pretty much how it's always been. And if this person is asking for which block to buy, I highly doubt they plan on playing in tourneys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
re: posting in the correct area, each game has its own dedicated folders on BGG (you can find the MtG page by typing Magic in the search box above). The general discussion forum for Magic the Gathering is here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/158/magic-the-gathering/g...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
Do you want a 'fun' set, or something powerful? As the years go on, the sets have gotten more and more powerful, so you'd get plenty of good cards out of recent common/uncommon sets. Of course, prices have went way up for rares with the addition of mythic rares......


How do you figure? Lots of the rares and even some of the mythics still sit at the standard 0.50 to 1.00 range, and most don't go above 2-4. The only cards that cost huge bucks are the standard staples, which is pretty much how it's always been. And if this person is asking for which block to buy, I highly doubt they plan on playing in tourneys.


I was thinking more 'best of the best' rares. Having played a lot of tourneys and spent a lot of money, beforehand it was $20-30 for the top rares, but it's gotten to $40-100 for the chase mythics. But you're right, if tournaments aren't a concern, and you're not interested in those cards, it's irrelevant.

I also agree Ravnica was great and had a lot of really cool commons/uncommons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hamachek
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.Looks like the overwhelming favorite block among everyone is Ravnica. Yeah im not worried about the cards being tournament legal or anything like that i just want to start on a solid base of newer....(lol 2005 is newer to me) cards as i get back into it.


I have seen that the cards have gotten ALOT more powerful in some cases in the newer sets and that kind of distracted me from doing this at first. But i really liked the new cards so i got my friends together and we decided we will try to have old and new school magic nights where 1 night we can only use cards from older sets maybe the Shadowmoor block and back. Then the next time just sets from Shards of Alara forward. Dont know how thats going to work but it will keep the mythics out of the old school nights. Alot of my friends only have the old school cards so i dont want to come in just trouncing them with the new stuff.


Thanks again for the insight. I know where to start now and with all of the blocks that have come out since Urza thats saying alot because i had no clue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to MtG forums
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bechidow wrote:
Thanks for the input.Looks like the overwhelming favorite block among everyone is Ravnica. Yeah im not worried about the cards being tournament legal or anything like that i just want to start on a solid base of newer....(lol 2005 is newer to me) cards as i get back into it.


I have seen that the cards have gotten ALOT more powerful in some cases in the newer sets and that kind of distracted me from doing this at first. But i really liked the new cards so i got my friends together and we decided we will try to have old and new school magic nights where 1 night we can only use cards from older sets maybe the Shadowmoor block and back. Then the next time just sets from Shards of Alara forward. Dont know how thats going to work but it will keep the mythics out of the old school nights. Alot of my friends only have the old school cards so i dont want to come in just trouncing them with the new stuff.


Thanks again for the insight. I know where to start now and with all of the blocks that have come out since Urza thats saying alot because i had no clue.


Not gonna lie, if you are playing multiplayer, it's not that big of a deal who has newer stuff. I make decks that are almost entirely from Ravnica and earlier and can consistently win against my friends. The power difference, in my mind, is way overblown. Everyone rants and raves about how lightning bolt being back changed magic forever, but it still plays pretty much the same as Shock.

FWIW, I would say just ignore any restrictions on who can play what cards when. You will get grumbles the very first time you pull out a card people think is "too powerful" but so long as your friends aren't a bunch of crybaby whiners they will get over it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:


Not gonna lie, if you are playing multiplayer, it's not that big of a deal who has newer stuff.


Actually since RAV, EDH/COmmander has really taken off as a format, and WOTC knows this. They've made a ton of cards that really show this off since then, with really subtle wordings like "target opponents" rather than "target opponent." That and you'll see really splashy world effects that happen that won't do much in a regular game, but really kick up dust multiplayer.

aldaryn wrote:
Do you want a 'fun' set, or something powerful? As the years go on, the sets have gotten more and more powerful, so you'd get plenty of good cards out of recent common/uncommon sets. Of course, prices have went way up for rares with the addition of mythic rares......


This I would STRONGLY disagree with. When sets were larger and we had less of a chance to pull a certain rare in a given pack, multiple regular rares would easily jump to $10-$30 without much thought. Now, sets are smaller and they have been reprinting staples more often. Sure, Mythic Rares when they hit popularity make up for the difference... but with the rise and popularity as well as smaller sets it has been less of a supply and demand issue with exception of a few key cards.

Examples... Day of Judgement... Wrath of God used to be a $10-15 card, you can find DoJ for $3 easy (and they are basically the same card). Birds Of Paradise was a chase rare in RAV, at $10-15 each... now you can get a PLAYSET for $8-10.

So yeah, you get your Jace The Mind Sculptor (which topped out at $150), but you can build solid manabases with Core Set lands for $2 a pop. It's MUCH easier to build the deck you want as a casual player for cheaper. Just skip the Jace, instead of skipping every land in the block.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
bechidow wrote:
Thanks for the input.Looks like the overwhelming favorite block among everyone is Ravnica. Yeah im not worried about the cards being tournament legal or anything like that i just want to start on a solid base of newer....(lol 2005 is newer to me) cards as i get back into it.


I have seen that the cards have gotten ALOT more powerful in some cases in the newer sets and that kind of distracted me from doing this at first. But i really liked the new cards so i got my friends together and we decided we will try to have old and new school magic nights where 1 night we can only use cards from older sets maybe the Shadowmoor block and back. Then the next time just sets from Shards of Alara forward. Dont know how thats going to work but it will keep the mythics out of the old school nights. Alot of my friends only have the old school cards so i dont want to come in just trouncing them with the new stuff.


Thanks again for the insight. I know where to start now and with all of the blocks that have come out since Urza thats saying alot because i had no clue.


Not gonna lie, if you are playing multiplayer, it's not that big of a deal who has newer stuff. I make decks that are almost entirely from Ravnica and earlier and can consistently win against my friends. The power difference, in my mind, is way overblown. Everyone rants and raves about how lightning bolt being back changed magic forever, but it still plays pretty much the same as Shock.


To some degree, the thing to me is that a card like Lightning Bolt makes for an appreciably different metagame than Shock, but only when it's ubiquitous. Why? Because having the default removal spell deal 3 damage instead of 2 can mean that a creature goes from excellent to borderline unplayable. In other words, it changes the cut-off for what "durable enough" is.

That's one of the reasons why Dismember



has had such a negative impact on the metagame. Because of the phrexian mana cost, many decks can play it, and it has distorted the value of creatures to the point where any of the larger creatures in the 4-5 toughness range are a lot worse than they would be normally, which increases the value of smaller guys, and the huge beaters that can actually survive it.

edit aside: FWIW, I really like Time Spiral block and think it's an interesting set, provided you have a decent amount of experience with the game prior to picking it up, as it has a metric tonne of keywords and abilities. Ravinica, from what I've played of it, is also excellent though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
AtomicReaction wrote:
bechidow wrote:
Thanks for the input.Looks like the overwhelming favorite block among everyone is Ravnica. Yeah im not worried about the cards being tournament legal or anything like that i just want to start on a solid base of newer....(lol 2005 is newer to me) cards as i get back into it.


I have seen that the cards have gotten ALOT more powerful in some cases in the newer sets and that kind of distracted me from doing this at first. But i really liked the new cards so i got my friends together and we decided we will try to have old and new school magic nights where 1 night we can only use cards from older sets maybe the Shadowmoor block and back. Then the next time just sets from Shards of Alara forward. Dont know how thats going to work but it will keep the mythics out of the old school nights. Alot of my friends only have the old school cards so i dont want to come in just trouncing them with the new stuff.


Thanks again for the insight. I know where to start now and with all of the blocks that have come out since Urza thats saying alot because i had no clue.


Not gonna lie, if you are playing multiplayer, it's not that big of a deal who has newer stuff. I make decks that are almost entirely from Ravnica and earlier and can consistently win against my friends. The power difference, in my mind, is way overblown. Everyone rants and raves about how lightning bolt being back changed magic forever, but it still plays pretty much the same as Shock.


To some degree, the thing to me is that a card like Lightning Bolt makes for an appreciably different metagame than Shock, but only when it's ubiquitous. Why? Because having the default removal spell deal 3 damage instead of 2 can mean that a creature goes from excellent to borderline unplayable. In other words, it changes the cut-off for what "durable enough" is.

That's one of the reasons why Dismember



has had such a negative impact on the metagame. Because of the phrexian mana cost, many decks can play it, and it has distorted the value of creatures to the point where any of the larger creatures in the 4-5 toughness range are a lot worse than they would be normally, which increases the value of smaller guys, and the huge beaters that can actually survive it.

edit aside: FWIW, I really like Time Spiral block and think it's an interesting set, provided you have a decent amount of experience with the game prior to picking it up, as it has a metric tonne of keywords and abilities. Ravinica, from what I've played of it, is also excellent though.


Again though, the problem with Dismember is only really going to be an issue in one on one. As soon as you start playing multiplayer, balance stops mattering to a very large degree. You may have the sickest deck in the group, but the other three together will probably still be able to take you out. Now there is always exceptions to that if someone is a real dink and spends their days making combo decks, but that's just part of picking your group. If you have a guy/girl that constantly jams out combo decks that go infinite and win on turn three, ask them to stop, or stop inviting them. Most problems in multiplayer magic balance can be sorted out by talking to your friends and asking them to switch it up for a week. I know that I have decks that can pound out a 16 16 on turn three, but I play those decks once every few nights at most. Ninety percent of how much fun and how much you will have to invest in playing magic is based on the people you are playing it with.

Also, if you are -really- strapped for cash, play pauper. I built pauper decks with some friends of mine who were broke, and we had a blast. Still felt just like magic, and they could compete quite easily with some of my other non-pauper decks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the political aspects of multi-player invalidate the larger point I was making about the most common removal present in the environment dictating what is and isn't good to play. If everyone is playing Bolt, then you are going to want to play more creatures with toughness 4+ so people aren't tempted to zap your stuff as much, if Shock is more common, then you can stick with stuff at 3 toughness plus. Similarly, does everyone use Pyroclasm? Is some random guy Hurricane happy? Are bury or remove from game effects being used a lot, or is regeneration going to help prevent a lot of problems? All of these things are important, regardless of whether the game is played 1 on 1, or 6 vs. all.

I understand what you're saying about politics, as I used to play a lot of chaos multi-player myself, but I don't think you can allow that to dictate your deck choice. If everyone is just going to gang up on the best player or deck, then what's the point of even trying to make cohesive or effective decks anymore? It's basically a case for deck building nihilism at the most extreme end, "Why bother? It's all just politics." Personally, I think you have to try to make something that's at least effective in a theoretical scenario though, and to me, the first place to start that process is by evaluating what the most common removal spells being used are; provided, of course, that you're playing a creature deck. If your political metagame dictates that certain card types are intensely disliked, then not using those particular cards or decks could also enter into it. I don't think any of that invalidates the general point about minding the metagame.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.