Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
Tseung Kwan O
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a new player of this game. I've played 5 times in solitaire but all are lost in different scenarios. The game may be too challenging for a beginner. Is it good to add one more resources (i.e. choose 4 resources instead of 3 ) in the Resource phase? Is it quite impossible to win for the solitaire game? Any suggestions or strategic guide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I think it would be nice to have some additional information before really being able to answer your questions.
-Which scenario? (You should use Mirkwood in the beginning)
-Do you use a Mono-Sphere deck?
-Which Sphere(s) do you use?
-I am assuming you just use one core set, is that correct?
-Why do you loose (threat level, heroes dying, one particular enemy)

I think it would be easiest, if you could write a session report of a typical session. Then we could also find out, whether you might be playing something incorrectly.

General advise: If you play only one sphere, you should definitely not use "Tactics". Spirit is probably a good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
Tseung Kwan O
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that I've not stated my situation carefully. Normally I used one core set and found that most of the cards in my hand could not be used. Most of my heroes have gone before finishing the quest. I'll try Spirit in my sixth game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citilogic wrote:
Sorry that I've not stated my situation carefully. Normally I used one core set and found that most of the cards in my hand could not be used. Most of my heroes have gone before finishing the quest. I'll try Spirit in my sixth game.

No need to be sorry I just want to understand better what is your problem.

Ok, so you play mono-sphere (that means either "Leadership" or "Spirit" or "Tactics" or "Lore") and have one set of the game and none of the expansions (that was what I was referring to when I was talking about "one core set")

I'll try some general advice on how to start then:
-use the Mirkwood scenario
-don't use Tactics
-use Spirit first maybe
-if you want to, try dual-sphere decks (see below)
-you can put three Gandalfs in your deck, Gandalf is a very helpful card
-Attachments are usually very useful, so normally good to play
-unless you have a good reason not to, always travel to a location, when possible
-use Eowyn for questing (if you have useless cards, you can always discard them for boosting Eowyn's will power)
-use Dunhere's special ability to attack enemies in the staging area (so some enemies are killed without you having to engage them)
-Eleanor is an ok defender and you can use her to cancel nasty "When revealed effects"

It is easier to win if you have dual-sphere decks, I think. Maybe Spirit-Leadership could work for you. Leadership includes Steward of Gondor, which gives you two additional resources each round. If you want additional advice on how to build such a deck, just say so. I'll also look for a link.

I hope, some of this helps you. If not, just post again and describe what the problems were.

Last, most important, advice: Don't give up too quickly on the game. It is really loads of fun!

Edit: Found a thread on deck-building, so if you want to try that, you might want to look here: Trying deck building....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
Tseung Kwan O
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rike! It is a good idea to use deck-building methods. I normally choose Tactics sphere in my game; that's why it is hard to win. However, is it good to use one more resources for heroes in the resources phase? e.g. 3 heroes but distribute 4 resources.

Are you the person who helps to develop this game? You look very familiar with the strategy and flow of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citilogic wrote:
Thanks Rike! It is a good idea to use deck-building methods. I normally choose Tactics sphere in my game; that's why it is hard to win. However, is it good to use one more resources for heroes in the resources phase? e.g. 3 heroes but distribute 4 resources.

Using Tactics Sphere it indeed is very difficult Solo!
I would not put one additional resource for several reasons:
-It is important on which hero you put it then (even more if you play multi-sphere, but also with just one sphere) and that is either a bit random or hard to keep track of
-It really changes the game-flow a lot
-It does not solve the main problem of Tactics: no questing skills

I think deck-building is a much better approach. If you really like tactics that much, then you could always have a two-sphere deck including tactics. Spirit-Tactics maybe? (Spirit is good in questing, which you need) Leadership-Tactics might work as well, especially if you use Legolas from Tactics for his ability of additional progress tokens

Or -if possible- play with somebody else. Then you could keep your Tactics deck and the other person uses Spirit. That's how we played (and won) our first games.

citilogic wrote:

Are you the person who helps to develop this game? You look very familiar with the strategy and flow of this game.

No blush . I just like playing it and have played it a lot (mainly with two players, but also solo and with four players).
I hope, my suggestions help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
Tseung Kwan O
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! It is hard for me to find a buddy to play this game with me. It is quite a complicate game for my game partner. I think I will try 2 players but solo game version to deal with the questing problem.

Finally, I'm waiting for a VASSAL version or some PC AI version of it.
Thanks!wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citilogic wrote:
I think I will try 2 players but solo game version to deal with the questing problem.

That's a great idea. Have a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
citilogic wrote:

If having 4 resources instead of 3 makes the game more enjoyable, so be it. The point with games is to have fun. And if that means that you have to bend the rules a little, all the more power to you. It is a challenging game.

The majority of the games I play are without shadow effects, and I still get my ass handed to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy CHAN
Hong Kong
Tseung Kwan O
New Territories, HK-SAR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks J K!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.