Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just uploaded (so waiting on moderators) an FAQ list for A Few Acres of Snow including all the significant questions I have seen here (and I think I've read all the Rules postings here). It has been reviewed and revised by Martin Wallace, and includes answers to a few questions that have come up recently that he has not replied to here. I hope it will be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorely needed, thanks Christopher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. My games all proceed smoothly, but it's still a little unsettling that I can't answer every question that could come up about this game. I hope this FAQ will clear those unusual cases up. Thanks to both Chris and Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
I must be missing something. I don't have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
While we wait for it's approval, here's a question we ran into last night.

When by draw deck and discard pile are empty and I use the merchant action, what is the proper sequence and timing of reshuffling?

a) the ship card hits the discard and goes into the draw deck, the 2 coin cards stay in the discard pile

OR

b) the ship card and coin cards are discarded together and thus form the new draw deck

The reason this mattered is that I purchased a military card for the second action but preferred that it stay in the discard pile until the next reshuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
I must be missing something.

You are. 11 pages of rules threads. Admittedly some of those can be answered easily by reference to the rules, but there are a significant number that can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:

When by draw deck and discard pile are empty and I use the merchant action, what is the proper sequence and timing of reshuffling?

a) the ship card hits the discard and goes into the draw deck, the 2 coin cards stay in the discard pile

OR

b) the ship card and coin cards are discarded together and thus form the new draw deck

The reason this mattered is that I purchased a military card for the second action but preferred that it stay in the discard pile until the next reshuffle.

The list does not explicitly say that all cards discarded as one action go in the discard together. Personally (taking list maintainer hat off) I would regard your (a) as perverse. Putting hat back on there needs to be a line drawn as to which questions get in the list and which don't. This is one that I think goes under the heading of "wait to see if there's an indication that multiple people want it answered, if so draft Q&A (sometimes I draft with alternative answers) and put in front of Martin". But I'll be wait to collect responses to the list before any update (and my ideal is no more needed of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
I must be missing something.

You are. 11 pages of rules threads. Admittedly some of those can be answered easily by reference to the rules, but there are a significant number that can't.

The intent of the FAQ list is only to address the latter, plus maybe (I think the list currently has one or two) any cases that although covered are sufficiently unusual to be worth including without stretching Tje list too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:

OR

I would think b) as the ship card and the coin card constitute parts of one action. Once the action is complete, the cards used go to the discard pile. But nothing in the rules denies a) either, it's not stated when played cards go to the discard pile, just that they do. I agree though that you would reform the draw pile before your second action so the military unit would be in the discard pile and not part of the reshuffle.

I've certainly played as b) but then I've never had both piles depleted at the same time where it would matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
out4blood wrote:

OR

The list does not explicitly say that all cards discarded as one action go in the discard together. Personally (taking list maintainer hat off) I would regard your (a) as perverse. Putting hat back on there needs to be a line drawn as to which questions get in the list and which don't. This is one that I think goes under the heading of "wait to see if there's an indication that multiple people want it answered, if so draft Q&A (sometimes I draft with alternative answers) and put in front of Martin". But I'll be wait to collect responses to the list before any update (and my ideal is no more needed of course).

Oh, I wasn't asking it to be added to the FAQ, I was curious as to what people thought. I suppose I should go make my own question thread. Reading through Martin's responses to the other deck shuffling timing questions, I'm convinced he never even considered any of these edge cases.

Quote:
I would think b) as the ship card and the coin card constitute parts of one action. Once the action is complete, the cards used go to the discard pile. But nothing in the rules denies a) either, it's not stated when played cards go to the discard pile, just that they do. I agree though that you would reform the draw pile before your second action so the military unit would be in the discard pile and not part of the reshuffle.

I've certainly played as b) but then I've never had both piles depleted at the same time where it would matter.

I played the "Big Money" deck thinning strategy last night, where you reserve 3 location cards and buy Home Support. With that 5 card hand, you can earn 12 money per turn and convert that to a huge concentrated military advantage. So it came up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:

have you played a game yet?

Some questions are legitimate. If you skim the list of questions, you'll see that even the designer himself has to think twice about answering some of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:
I agree though that you would reform the draw pile before your second action so the military unit would be in the discard pile and not part of the reshuffle.

This bit is in the FAQ list. Hat off I thought it was almost obvious (I was persuaded into the almost). Hat on there was enough discussion and some disagreement that it made it into the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Some questions are legitimate.

And that's part of my rationale for doing this. For an FAQ list to be worthwhile needs a good game but which has a rulebook that just needs a little help. (It's the second FAQ list for a game I've done. But the styles are quite different. The other one answers questions that were obvious, and explains answers with specific references to the rulebook. This one's most common complete answers to questions are "Yes." and "No.".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Frequently asked doesn't mean they are necessarily sensible questions so perhaps you should rename your list saq - when you have your hat on of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
fardoche wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
...even the designer himself has to think twice about answering some of them...

That must be what I missed. Can you show me those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Frequently asked doesn't mean they are necessarily sensible questions so perhaps you should rename your list saq - when you have your hat on of course.

Except that FAQ is a well-recognised term, so I think I'll stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Except that FAQ is a well-recognised term, so I think I'll stick with it.

Quite right and the hat too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and much thanks for putting the list together Christopher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Dearlove wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Except that FAQ is a well-recognised term, so I think I'll stick with it

Agreed. And it's just that: questions that have come up enough that the should be answered. But, it would be great — and of great help to FAQ readers — if FAQ authors would make a distinction between questions that are easily answered from the rules as written, and those that are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
But, it would be great — and of great help to FAQ readers — if FAQ authors would make a distinction between questions that are easily answered from the rules as written, and those that are not.

In this case you won't get that, except that mostly these are the harder questions. The most obvious case that is arguably unnecessary is the last one that is the case where you've had a location raided and are resettling it, but also have its card and a fortification in hand, which allows you to both resettle and fortify in the same turn. Obvious if you consider it action by action, but unusual, and Martin had previously felt it worth answering. Also arguably unnecessary is whether you can trace supply through a siege (you can). The rules don't mention sieges in discussing supply. But it's maybe less obvious - and it came up in my last game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Except that FAQ is a well-recognised term, so I think I'll stick with it

Agreed. And it's just that: questions that have come up enough that the should be answered. But, it would be great — and of great help to FAQ readers — if FAQ authors would make a distinction between questions that are easily answered from the rules as written, and those that are not.

If they are so easily answered, why are they so frequently asked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
out4blood wrote:
If they are so easily answered, why are they so frequently asked?

That's the mystery of FAQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paull
United Kingdom
HUNTINGDON
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
out4blood wrote:

OR

I'm pretty sure that Martin answered this one, though it may have been only implicit. If you've reviewed all the threads (!), I guess you'll know better than me. It might be worth an explicit ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Paull wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Martin answered this one, though it may have been only implicit. If you've reviewed all the threads (!), I guess you'll know better than me. It might be worth an explicit ruling.

I didn't notice one on the "all cards in an action discarded together" point and didn't ask him (I added a couple of asked and not yet answered preemptively) as it didn't cross my mind as worth it. I'm watching the specific thread repeating the question to see (see my comment in it).

Of course there are a lot of threads with a lot of postings, and I may have missed something. Please let me know any you think I have (once the list is out to check).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
fardoche wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
...even the designer himself has to think twice about answering some of them...

That must be what I missed. Can you show me those?

here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/688524/the-weird-fort-st-joh...

and there's another thread I can't spot right now where M. Wallace said he'd have to sit and analyze further before giving an official answer. If I remember correctly it was about some connection issues for distant cities.

Anyways, no big deal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.