Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where to start? I am 46 years old. I have a nearly 6 year old daughter and another of 8 months. Also a wife, 2 jobs and am the treasurer of the school canteen.

I insist on listening to a cetain ammount of music, although not much new stuff - apart from old favourites who keep releasing new stuff.

One of my jobs is in the local bookshop. My discount here helps me keep up with new fiction and follow the latest history releases. That's apart from the piles of stuff sitting on the shelves at home which I'm trying to get through.

Also, I have to check BGG virtually every day, send photos of the kids to the family overseas, read the papers. listen to the ABC radio news, cook the dinner every other day, tend to my large veggie garden.

We also have a group of us who gather to play Euro games every other week or so (Agricola, Settlers), an active seed savers group, a P&C Commitee and numerous social gatherings to attend.

I go out 2 nights a week to play ftf wargames for 3-4 hours yet am still overawed by the apparent massive ammount of play done by other BGGeeks. How do you get it all done?

Is my time of life a particularly busy one or do the rest of you just focus better?

Where does the time for wargames come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
mb
Moruya23 wrote:
I go out 2 nights a week to play ftf wargames for 3-4 hours
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for starters you're fairly old to have such young children. I got that part of my life over in my twenties and early thirties. Now in my late forties its me time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Vassal/PBEM does wonders for the busy wargamer.

I've concluded that this is going to be the way forward for me as well. I'm in a position similar to the OP: 41, two kids under six, busy career. When I finish the Fields of Fire video project I'm working on, my plan is to get some PBEM wargames started. Solo games like FoF and D-Day at Omaha Beach are terrific, but I do want to try my hand and out-thinking and out-playing another person. Or getting beat up by them. Either way I'm sure it will be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For ftf player, you've got it made. I only play ftf, but I only get in one night a week for 3-4 hours, schedule conflicts notwithstanding.

You're doing quite well already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
LancerDeuce wrote:
usrlocal wrote:
Vassal/PBEM does wonders for the busy wargamer.

I've concluded that this is going to be the way forward for me as well. I'm in a position similar to the OP: 41, two kids under six, busy career. When I finish the Fields of Fire video project I'm working on, my plan is to get some PBEM wargames started. Solo games like FoF and D-Day at Omaha Beach are terrific, but I do want to try my hand and out-thinking and out-playing another person. Or getting beat up by them. Either way I'm sure it will be fun.
+1; 40, 2 kids (5 & 7)

Somehow I seldom use VASSAL. When behind a PC, I'll play PC games. So my wargaming is limited to one wargaming buddy I met on BGG; once every 3-5 weeks. And further an occasional appointment with other wargamers - most home bred. O - and twice a year I organize a small 'con'; 12-18 wargamers attend for a day of wargaming.

In all, I think I average on one FtF wargame every 3 weeks.

Boardgames - a lot more. PC RTS &so - a lot more.
But wargames?....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Moruya23 wrote:
Where to start? I am 46 years old. I have a nearly 6 year old daughter and another of 8 months. Also a wife, 2 jobs and am the treasurer of the school canteen.

I insist on listening to a cetain ammount of music, although not much new stuff - apart from old favourites who keep releasing new stuff.

One of my jobs is in the local bookshop. My discount here helps me keep up with new fiction and follow the latest history releases. That's apart from the piles of stuff sitting on the shelves at home which I'm trying to get through.

Also, I have to check BGG virtually every day, send photos of the kids to the family overseas, read the papers. listen to the ABC radio news, cook the dinner every other day, tend to my large veggie garden.

We also have a group of us who gather to play Euro games every other week or so (Agricola, Settlers), an active seed savers group, a P&C Commitee and numerous social gatherings to attend.

I go out 2 nights a week to play ftf wargames for 3-4 hours yet am still overawed by the apparent massive ammount of play done by other BGGeeks. How do you get it all done?

Is my time of life a particularly busy one or do the rest of you just focus better?

Lose the garden, listen to the news every second day while you're preparing dinner and get an iPhone so you can send photos to your family during down time in Agricola. That should save you enough time each week to play a turn of a good wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop buying books. Would you rather read history or play history?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I have no life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
Stop buying books. Would you rather read history or play history?

I see both as simply 2 sides of the same coin. My reading helps me better understand the history of the games I play and the boardgames give me a better understanding of the history I read. For me taking away one would lessen my understanding and enjoyment of the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moruya23 wrote:

Being 23, having no kids, and having a girlfriend who doesn't mind finding something else to do when I invite a gamer over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
Moruya23 wrote:

Being 23, having no kids, and having a girlfriend who doesn't mind finding something else to do when I invite a gamer over.

I'm 47 and married with no kids. Most of my wargaming friends however are married with kids and generally all of our wives are pretty understanding. We're actually seeing a second generation now gaming with us. One of our group has a 15 year old son who is now a regular part of our gaming group and learning fast as no quarter is given. Another in the group has 2 sons 10 & 12 who we now have join us for some of our lighter game nights such as when we play Arkham Horror. Only a matter of time before they're part of the heavier wargame nights.

As for me, my wife knew I was a wargamer when we got married. She actually encourages me to wargame. I try to get her involved in some of the non wargames we play but she's not interested much. I did get her once to play Gunslinger where she killed 3 of my friends who promptly learned not to underestimate her.

However we have many other things we do together so she enjoys the occasional chance to get the house to herself on a Saturday. When the games are here she goes out and gets us Chinese food so we don't have to stop playing.

Wargaming and having a home life are not mutually exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
My main time to play is on a Sunday afternoon. Sometimes an hour or two in the evening, I have an odd work schedule.

Quote:
here she goes out and gets us Chinese food so we don't have to stop playing.

My two favorite things, where do I sign up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:

Never said they were! I was just giving my personal recipe for wargaming success
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff miller wrote:
Well for starters you're fairly old to have such young children. I got that part of my life over in my twenties and early thirties. Now in my late forties its me time!

I have a 6 month old and I am 44. I think that your statement about age is odd. I got a lot of gaming in during my 20's and 30's during my "me" time. It's all borrowed time in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:

Never said they were! I was just giving my personal recipe for wargaming success

I didn't mean to imply you did Louis. You do hear a lot of times though where people get married and then one spouse says "Well, we're married now so you can't do this this or this anymore". I've always found that to be a bad way to go into a relationship and it was to that I was addressing.

Years ago when I lived back in California we had a big wargaming club that met 2 Saturdays out of every month. We had about 20-30 people at these things and one guy who was a regular got married and his new wife declared that he had to completely give up wargaming because he had to spend every Saturday with her. She basically cut him off from the hobby and the friends he had that he played with. I just don't see that a marriage requires you to do that or that kind of cutting your partner off from their pre-married life is healthy log term for a relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
... I just don't see that a marriage requires you to do that or that that kind of cutting your partner off from their pre-married life is healthy log term for a relationship.

Wholeheartedly agreed. I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend that's super understanding about my nerd-dom. She listens to my boardgame stories, sits with me while I clip counters, and even plays the occasional game with me and my family. Finding a girl/guy that is willing to bear your gaming with a smile is one of the best things in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
greenpawn wrote:
jeff miller wrote:

I have a 6 month old and I am 44. I think that your statement about age is odd. I got a lot of gaming in during my 20's and 30's during my "me" time. It's all borrowed time in my opinion.

I'm bent on 'borrowing' as much as I can then.

Don't see much point to giving it over to
someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are all busy... its a matter of prioritizing what means the most to you. When I was younger and my older children were kids I did an OK job of being there for ballgames, school plays, etc... but not a great job. We all have good relationships so this isn't a sob story, but when I look back I think that maybe I should have pushed away from the table/computer a little more often to make more time for them. The game isn't going anywhere, THEY are only young once. These days, with my 9 year old. I'm the old guy learning to play Call of Duty on the x-box. In exchange he plays a litle Zombies and Memoir '44 with me.

As it is, it your getting a LOT more playing time FtF than I ever dreamed of . Vassal with Teamspeak is about the closest I get to a regular game with my war-gaming brother (he lives 400 miles away).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AtomicReaction wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
... I just don't see that a marriage requires you to do that or that that kind of cutting your partner off from their pre-married life is healthy log term for a relationship.

Wholeheartedly agreed. I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend that's super understanding about my nerd-dom. She listens to my boardgame stories, sits with me while I clip counters, and even plays the occasional game with me and my family. Finding a girl/guy that is willing to bear your gaming with a smile is one of the best things in life.

Marry that woman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason roberts
msg tools
mb
Spent 2 nights of my staycation playing Fields of Fire again thanks to Chris Hobbs brilliant video tutorial.Since my kids are grown,work 10 hr days + I like to read, I basically find time by ignoring my wife!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
greenpawn wrote:
jeff miller wrote:

I'm bent on 'borrowing' as much as I can then.

Don't see much point to giving it over to
someone else.

I wouldn't give up my time with my wife and daughter for anything, I have a much richer life now. I get to play games, war/euro/ameritrash and spend time with my family. I'm happy with the "order" that I did things in. I feel like having a kid later in life removed my "level cap" and gave me many ways to grow, ways that I couldn't have imagined otherwise.
Sure I have a lot less time for gaming, but my life is fuller AND I still play games. Win/win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moruya23 wrote:

I am 37 with a 7-year old daughter (who games with me).

I have less time these days than I did a few years ago (I was a reporter, and before that, a student), but I still try to get in at least 10 hours of gaming a month. If you're doing 3-4 hours twice a week, you're doing great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I get really tired of this question. You make the time, if there is nothing you want to give up then you have no time. It isn't rocket science just deciding where your priorities are. I have two step kids (10 & 11) a wife, and am unemployed and constantly looking for a job and volunteering whenever I can, and yet I war game 2-3 Saturdays a month (all day) and go to 4-5 cons a year.

I make the time because it is what I love and my wife fully supports that.

OK, stepping off my soapbox now blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 36 and married, I have a wonderful relationship with my wife (no kids as yet), she doesn't play boardgames at all, she can be coax to play every time Halley's Comet visits but that's about it. I make time to spend with her, watching TV, reading and talking side-by-side in bed or on the sofa, play with the dogs & cats and playing Mahjong together. She is very understanding of my wargaming hobby, don't get me wrong, she has NO idea why I like it so much, but she understands that everyone has obsessions. It helps that she has an obvious obsession as well (Mahjong) and I am quite understanding and "allow" her to play it with her friends whenever she wants (I join in sometimes) and in return she "allows" me my little fetishes.

Work stays mostly at work, I try to keep my home life separate as much as I can, which helps minimize stress. I sleep 4 hours a night and take a 30 minute to 2 hour nap during lunch times. (yes, I have two hour lunches)

So even with a busy schedule, I make time for my boardgaming and wargaming. I get in about 15-20 hours a week easy and usually play at least 5 different games a week.

My advice: Live life with a sense of urgency, you don't know how much time you've got left!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.