Popular Tags: [View All]
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the game publishes didnt get permission to use the word Droid in the title. Then they are darn lucky Lucas hasnt hit them with a lawsuit yet. He actually owns the word Droid and any uses of it. I kid you not.

Fun game though. Plays a little like RoboDerby in some aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
He's too busy adding additional "NOOOOOOOOOOO"s to the original trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no lawyer, but "owning a word and all uses of it" seems like a ridiculous notion.
I'm sure it can be regulated as to certain uses, but I seriously doubt any word can be prohibited from any use for any reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Motorola did evidently pay him for it: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/11/06/motorola-pays-lucas-...

I can't imagine "owning all uses of a word" is legally defensible, but of course it doesn't really matter. If Lucas & co. did decide to take legal action against a small game publisher they would probably just need to stop using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hes gone after game and toy companies before. The infamous Battledroids suit comes to mind readily in the gaming biz. Hence the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thats slightly different. The use of two words put together, either as a single word or two, as a title or noun with a capital letter, is usually intellectual property. So for example, separately the word "star" and the word "wars" cannot possibly be claimed as I.P. Whereas the title "Star Wars" is most definitely I.P.

There are exceptions. "Droid" is I.P. because it was coined by Lucas by removing "an" from "android", therefore becoming a new word in its own right. Its the only instance I can think of where this has happened but single words coined for commercial use are generally considered to be I.P. "Droids" is as much I.P as "Wookie" or "Ewok". So strictly and legally speaking, yes the authors of this game should pay Lucas for using the word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jez2k wrote:
Well thats slightly different. The use of two words put together, either as a single word or two, as a title or noun with a capital letter, is usually intellectual property. So for example, separately the word "star" and the word "wars" cannot possibly be claimed as I.P. Whereas the title "Star Wars" is most definitely I.P.

There are exceptions. "Droid" is I.P. because it was coined by Lucas by removing "an" from "android", therefore becoming a new word in its own right. Its the only instance I can think of where this has happened but single words coined for commercial use is generally considered to be I.P. "Droids" is as much I.P as "Wookie" or "Ewok". So strictly and legally speaking, yes the authors of this game should pay Lucas for using the word.

Not according to Lucas at the time, and he won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Jez2k wrote:

There are exceptions. "Droid" is I.P. because it was coined by Lucas by removing "an" from "android", therefore becoming a new word in its own right. Its the only instance I can think of where this has happened but single words coined for commercial use is generally considered to be I.P. "Droids" is as much I.P as "Wookie" or "Ewok". So strictly and legally speaking, yes the authors of this game should pay Lucas for using the word.

Not according to Lucas at the time, and he won.

If you're referring to the Battledroids case, then yes, that name is I.P (owned by Lucas and used in the prequels) as its two words put together to form a unique name, and further cemented by the use of an existing I.P word (Droids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.