Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I read about this game makes it sound unbelievable. The print and play file says "file corrupt, try again in 5 minutes". The reviews and discussion seem to talk about a ridiculous amount/type of pieces. Every thread on here seems to be a joke. Or at the very least, the game seems to have a different description. I feel like I'm stepping into a room with 20 people that all know some inside joke. Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough at this?

Anyhow. I'm confused. What part of this thing is real?

Sorry if I am blowing it's cover...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so great it does seem unreal. You may want to look up the games name on wikipedia for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This fake, joke game is so worn out it's embarrassing to even mention anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What, worn out! Only for the blind.

Just because it sounds like a joke, it is not verified, that this is a joke. You know, like: "Only, because you are paranoid doesn`t mean, they are not hunting you!"

As Donald F. Claremargin wrote in his major volume about "Boardgames in the late 20th century" (University of Ann Arbor Press, 2007): "The wide open rules made it possible for each player group to create their very own game experience each time. Since this game originates in East Germany, it may be assumed to be one of the more subtle "undercover" strategies of the opponents` movement against the regime: Confuse and destroy slowly by making them thinking a lot about some hidden meaning in absolute nonsense. It worked, proven by history." (page 467)

This might explain its obscurity as well as the confusion it provokes.

Great game, BTW! Played it once on a one-day trip to East Berlin in the mid-80`s in the flat of some writer at Friedrichshain. Took us 3 hours to complete, was a blast fun but again - kind of confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... having translated the name from french to english I am now more certain that it isn't a real game. Tho, duchamp's post contradicts that...

The images of the game look... bizarre.

I guess that another clue is how I found the game. Someone was talking about the designer and how "he taught Knizia auctioning in game design". So I went to the designer's page and he has only one game. This one. So I think I am hunting a snope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some folks absolutely desperate to keep people thinking this game is real. It's almost pathetic.
They need to find a new joke, this one is old and dying of overuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
There are some folks absolutely desperate to keep people thinking this game is real. It's almost pathetic.

It's one of the oldest BGG memes. Images were added over time, year after year, as newer users discovered its existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

It's one of the oldest BGG memes. Images were added over time, year after year, as newer users discovered its existence.

The images are pretty funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

I don't mean to make it sound as if the joke was never funny, it was a little brilliant actually.
But like any joke, if you hear it too many times, it begins to irritate rather than amuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

I'm shocked there are no bacon-themed images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
I don't mean to make it sound as if the joke was never funny, it was a little brilliant actually.
But like any joke, if you hear it too many times, it begins to irritate rather than amuse.

The joke may be old to you, but new users are hearing it for the first time. The polite thing for you to do would be to step aside and let others have fun with it if they want to. If it irritates you, why not tune out and maybe unsubscribe from Poisson d'Avril posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l10n0fjudah wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

The joke may be old to you, but new users are hearing it for the first time. The polite thing for you to do would be to step aside and let others have fun with it if they want to. If it irritates you, why not tune out and maybe unsubscribe from Poisson d'Avril posts.

I was glad to see his post to help confirm my suspicions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I have to say is that it took me three hours last night until I understood I 've been had. It smelled from the beginning, but the faux-history review threw me entirely out of the trail.

I am embarassed to say that I looked for quite a time at plastic fish and coffee beans trying to trace a line of sight (that picture is a work of art).

I wouldn't post anything, but since Rokkr blew the whistle, I felt compelled to let the architects of this mischief know that they totally had me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
... game is so worn out it's embarrassing to even mention anymore.
Yup. We all feel your pain. Since there are so few copies of the game actually in existence, they are all worn out... but we still play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
Since there are so few copies of the game actually in existence, they are all worn out... but we still play it!

In fact, there are not even any traces of printing or color on the components, but we remember what they looked like once upon a time ... and that's enough to play the game for us old timers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
kswingruber wrote:
Since there are so few copies of the game actually in existence, they are all worn out... but we still play it!
In fact, there are not even any traces of printing or color on the components, but we remember what they looked like once upon a time ... and that's enough to play the game for us old timers.
Are the spots worn off your dice too? That's how ours are, but luckily we've played it so many times, we know where they are supposed to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
Are the spot worn off your dice too? That's how ours are, but luckily we've played it so many times, we know where they are supposed to be!

I actually have the slightly less valuable second edition that used cards instead of dice. But yes, the cards in my set might as well be blank cards, because all the printing is worn off from hundreds of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Iverson
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, so is Full Metal Planete, and the ridiculously high price tag it inevitably carries, also just a joke??? answer please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophyteg52y wrote:
ok, so is Full Metal Planete, and the ridiculously high price tag it inevitably carries, also just a joke??? answer please!

That one is definitely real. So are the prices you see for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophyteg52y wrote:

The game is not real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's delete this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:

Either delete the thread or delete the game entry. Having both makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
CapAp wrote:

Either delete the thread or delete the game entry. Having both makes no sense.

Guess I don't mind either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Neo42 wrote:
Everything I read about this game makes it sound unbelievable. The print and play file says "file corrupt, try again in 5 minutes". The reviews and discussion seem to talk about a ridiculous amount/type of pieces. Every thread on here seems to be a joke. Or at the very least, the game seems to have a different description. I feel like I'm stepping into a room with 20 people that all know some inside joke. Or maybe I haven't looked hard enough at this?

Anyhow. I'm confused. What part of this thing is real?

Sorry if I am blowing it's cover...

Have you ever played Mornington Crescent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.