Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, sorry for the lengthy title. Ever since I traded for the base set, I had the plan to paint all the figures and get a bunch of figures to use as the special named characters in the quests, as well as to use with the difficult to find expansions.

As many of you know, all the printed materials are scanned and available online. The miniatures can be difficult to acquire, so I'm hoping that this thread gives potential new fans of the system some ideas for miniatures that they can use to spice up their Heroquest experiences.

Here is my painted set of Heroquest figures, along with a bunch of extra stuff that I can use to play Kellar's Keep and Witch Lord, as well as a variety of fan Quests.

Ogre Horde expansion.

Wizards of Morcar with a bunch of mercenaries. If anyone has an idea for a better Necromancer figure, let me know.

Elf Quest

Barbarian Quest

If anyone has any questions about any of these figures, feel free to ask. Also, I'm in the process of making custom monster cards for all of these guys, including a set of cards with unique, balanced stats for each of the different mercenary figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Boleen
United States
Northwest
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they are excellent choices for alts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great paint jobs! I got this game when I was pre-teen and I don't think I have a hero left whose weapon isn't snapped. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you who commented and all of you who thumbed this thread. Occasionally, I imagine that some people will want to print and play the expansions and fan-made quests, so hopefully they can find this thread and get some ideas about where to start.

I did spend quite a bit of time painting the original figures. I tried to paint them to match the monster cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, that is some awesome painting!! I'm impressed
wish I was at all that good with mine (embarassed now)

can you be more specific where you got some of those figures?
looks like some Heroscape figs

thanks for posting, great painting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you have a link for extra quests, maps, etc.??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's some really nice work Ian. Good job.

I'll have to forget these images when I break out my copy with its simple gray pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
do you have a link for extra quests, maps, etc.??

Two great sources of information and downloads are:

Heroquest by Phoenix
http://www.freewebs.com/phoenixgd/index.html

Check out the official and Fan Quests. Phoenix has remade the quests in a unified, booklet-printable style. I even printed out the basic quests, so that I would have a copy that I could mark on without damaging the originals.

Ye Olde Inn
http://www.yeoldeinn.com/

This is the place to get your printable cards and most of the cardboard bits, both official and fan-made. I love the way the cards are made so that they print perfectly double-sided on sheets of cardstock. With FFG clear sleeves, it's really hard to tell the difference between the official materials and your homemade stuff.

I also downloaded some scans of original token sheets and some other things from the image sections for the expansions here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
wow, that is some awesome painting!! I'm impressed
wish I was at all that good with mine (embarassed now)

can you be more specific where you got some of those figures?
looks like some Heroscape figs

thanks for posting, great painting

Which figures are you wondering about? They are a mixture of D&D minis and Heroscape mainly. But there are a few Reaper Legendary Encounters and even Descent figures in there. Here is the website where I've been purchasing single minis as I need them. He even has a revolving stock of Descent components for sale. He has great prices and fast, flat rate shipping for only $3.50:

Auggies
http://www.auggiesgamesonline.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ladd Everitt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Ian, question for you...

Do the D&D minis work well with Heroquest even though they are 30mm in scale?

Heroquest, I think, is 25mm.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderfoot wrote:
Ian, question for you...

Do the D&D minis work well with Heroquest even though they are 30mm in scale?

Heroquest, I think, is 25mm.

Thanks!

The D&D minis work great. I haven't noticed scale issues at all. It's more of a stylistic difference. The Heroquest figures are more like a chunky old-school style and the D&D minis tend to be thinner. You can see this in the skeletons in the front of the first picture. The basic HQ skellies have this chunky look and the D&D figs on the left look smaller and thinner, even though they are roughly the same height.

More modern Games Workshop sculpts have increased in size quite a bit, though. Have a look at the orcs holding up large knives in the back right of the first picture. They are a lot larger than the standard HQ orcs in the row ahead of them. I use these bigger, more modern orcs as Black Orcs and named orc characters in HQ because they're so much bigger, even though technically they are still just normal orcs in the Warhammer universe, which I could care less about. I just like the Games Workshop style. I think the GW figure sculptors tend to have a sense of humor.

The nice thing about the D&D figures is that they are cheap, come pre-painted and the bases on the smaller figures fit nicely in the HQ board squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ladd Everitt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks for answering my scale question!

Another one... In the Elf Quest pic, are those werewolves or beastmen on the right? Love those figures... Who made then and did you also get them from Auggies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderfoot wrote:
Thanks for answering my scale question!

Another one... In the Elf Quest pic, are those werewolves or beastmen on the right? Love those figures... Who made then and did you also get them from Auggies?

No problem, Ladd.

Those are Werewolves. I actually got those from a thrift store along with some other figures from that Heroscape expansion wave. I thought about rebasing them, as the Heroscape bases don't look great in the dungeon, but I can't get past the thought that I may want to use them in Heroscape some day. Also, their legs are spread really wide, so I'm not sure how well they would fit on smaller bases. They're mainly for one or two quests involving Werewolves, so no biggie.

Unfortunately, a lot of the Heroscape figs have gone up in price since the game went out of print, but the elves and a bunch of the D&D wave figs are still pretty cheap. I tried to find nice looking sculpts that weren't too useful in Heroscape, because that tended to make them cheaper to buy as singles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet some of you guessed that all this extra stuff doesn't fit back in the base HQ box, big as it is. You were right. I covered an old Melissa and Doug puzzle box to help store the expansion stuff:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great man.

The mini site is cool too looks like i'll be ordering some ogres for my expansion from there

Did you just use various mini's for the men at arms? What did you use for the frozen horror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrew0122 wrote:
Looks great man.

The mini site is cool too looks like i'll be ordering some ogres for my expansion from there

Did you just use various mini's for the men at arms? What did you use for the frozen horror?

Thanks.

The Troll King with the huge axe is the Frozen Horror. Look in the Barbarian Quest picture. He's slightly over-sized for the game board, but he looks magical and appropriately boss-like. Plus, he's only in one quest, so I'm not worried.

Yeah, I scoured the D&D minis for suitable, cheap figures. I wanted the weapon types to roughly match the original mercenaries that came with the game, but I only found one crossbowman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.