Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Women and Children first.....Does this still apply in todays society? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb

Happy Friday Folks!

I was watching a documentary on the Titanic last night (which I still find fascinating) and we got to talking about how in disasters/emergencies the creed was women and children first.

Now I don't know about you all, but can you imagine being on a sinking ship, a fire, or somewhere dangerous and waiting until all of the women and children are saved first?? (Strangers, mind you.)

My question is this.....If you were on the Titanic today, would you be able to wait until women/children got in a life boat or did society change enough where it is every person for themselves?

Personally, I would like to think I am "old school" enough to make sure all of the women and kids were saved first. On the other hand, I do have a fear that I would do a "George Costanzia (Seinfeld) and push all of the women and kids out of the way to save myself!whistle

p.s. On even the other hand if there were a bunch of Amazon type women on board I guess they could save us men first!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me old fashioned but I would let the women and children go first, especially if my wife and kids were with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be no trouble for me to allow the women to go first.

But kidding aside, I do hope saving the children would be a priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm, wife and kids always go first. Strangers though???? It seems easy to answer of course I would "sink" to save women and kids....but I guess you would never know until the situation arises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to RSP, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
"Women and Children First" feels old fashioned because it is old fashioned. I'd say it's been in fashion for about 3 or 4 billion years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
It's a maxim that makes perfect sense. Who wants to be trapped on a lifeboat with a bunch of mewling infants and hysterical wimmin? Load them all on their own boats first, then the men can have their boats to themselves for smoking cigars and telling traveling salesman jokes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Kids first, definitely.

But I've always suspected that the women-first mentality stems from the idea that women can't take care of themselves and need us big strong menfolk to do it. From there you're within spitting distance of making their decisions for them. Heck, by denying women the vote we're protecting their pretty little brains from the headaches and nastiness of politics and the real world. It's the noble thing to do, gosh darn it!

Granted, sometimes women and children will have to go first, in situations where size and strength are necessary to evacuate everyone (I dunno...getting a bunch of people out of a collapsed basement? My plausible-scenario-generator is broken.)

In your Titanic example I'd like to think I'm calm and level-headed enough to get most everyone off--male or female--before jumping in a boat. But who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always ask myself WWBZD... what would Billy Zane do? It usually involves stealing a small child and using it to lie my way on to a life boat. You would be suprised at how often stealing small children will get you to where you want to be laugh

But in all seriousness, I would like to think I would go down with the ship honorably while children and women live their lives out (most of them probably accomplishing little), but until you are faced with it, who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids yes, women hell you wanted equality now live (or die) with it so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Kids yes, women hell you wanted equality now live (or die) with it so no.

Yeah, bi-otches, that's what you get for wanting to be treated equal!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Children > mothers of children > fathers of children > [shark food]

So, until my daughter is no longer a child, I would try to save myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Holmes! wrote:
Load them all on their own boats first

Plus you can stare at their* tushes when they run away screaming, then get a good look down their shirts while they are climbing down into the lifeboats.

* = women, not children
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:
Kids first, definitely.

But I've always suspected that the women-first mentality stems from the idea that women can't take care of themselves and need us big strong menfolk to do it.

But in the event of a panic, I would venture to guess that the kid is going to hang on to a parent. Which means one of the parents would need to go with the children. From the posts so far in this thread, it seems that many fathers would perhaps sacrifice themselves to ensure that the rest of their family made it.

"Back in the day," men didn't so much take care of the children -- that was the women's job. Today that rule is changing.

Regardless, a "save yourself!" attitude almost ensures that many children would be left behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we all agreed that teenagers are last?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
quozl wrote:
Are we all agreed that teenagers are last?

Unless they're teenage mothers.

(Umm.... reconsidering algorithm...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, "women first" no longer makes any sense. It's noble to suggest "children first", but how many favors are you doing them if you save them and not their parents? I can see a "families with children first", but now it's starting to feel a little weird.

I guess the concept is to save the ones who have the most potential years to live first, but that suggests that a young life is somehow more worthwhile than an experienced one. I'm not sure I buy it.

I can't honestly say how I would react in such a situation. I don't intend on taking any transatlantic cruises in the near future, so hopefully the issue won't come up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I would be interested to hear what people have actually done in this situation in recent years (as opposed to what people safe on land think they'd do or what they think other people ought to do).

Leaving children out of the equation, what are women's expectations on this? Do they expect to be treated equally, or do they expect the whole deference thing? If a man suggested "equal treatment," would that come off as misogynstic or hostile?

More generally, how do you gals feel about the whole "chivalry" concept? Is it an artifact of past sexism?* Should we do away with it? Is it just...you know...dorky? Or do you feel like pulling out the chair and opening that door and that type of thing is still good manners?

Dave wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

Plus you can stare at their tushes

Yes, I think we can all agree that if the women get to go first we get to look at their butts. It's only fair. If I'm going to a watery grave at least let me have that.

*I know things aren't totally equal yet, but let's just pretend they are for the sake of the argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Zedsdead wrote:
Kids first, definitely.

But I've always suspected that the women-first mentality stems from the idea that women can't take care of themselves and need us big strong menfolk to do it.

But in the event of a panic, I would venture to guess that the kid is going to hang on to a parent. Which means one of the parents would need to go with the children. From the posts so far in this thread, it seems that many fathers would perhaps sacrifice themselves to ensure that the rest of their family made it.

"Back in the day," men didn't so much take care of the children -- that was the women's job. Today that rule is changing.

Regardless, a "save yourself!" attitude almost ensures that many children would be left behind.

Certainly. I was treating the women/children thing pretty abstractly: here's a pile of children, there's a bunch of women, yonder is a group of men, who gets priority.

It gets more complicated with families. It's like kids get priority bubbles; if Mom is in the bubble, she climbs the priority list. But I think I'd help Billy Zane before Kate Winslett if he had a child and she didn't.

And if we were talking about MY wife and child? All the rules go out the window. I'd gladly help others where I could but my family is my first priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Interesting question. I would be interested to hear what people have actually done in this situation in recent years (as opposed to what people safe on land think they'd do or what they think other people ought to do).

Leaving children out of the equation, what are women's expectations on this? Do they expect to be treated equally, or do they expect the whole deference thing? If a man suggested "equal treatment," would that come off as misogynstic or hostile?

More generally, how do you gals feel about the whole "chivalry" concept? Is it an artifact of past sexism?* Should we do away with it? Is it just...you know...dorky? Or do you feel like pulling out the chair and opening that door and that type of thing is still good manners?

Dave wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

Plus you can stare at their tushes

Yes, I think we can all agree that if the women get to go first we get to look at their butts. It's only fair. If I'm going to a watery grave at least let me have that.

*I know things aren't totally equal yet, but let's just pretend they are for the sake of the argument.

Creepy to the last. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very difficult question and in a disaster we/someone/everyone kind of gets to play god.

My daughter would be devastated if her father/my husband died on us (in her childhood).

On the other hand, there would be children who would not suffer as much if one or both of their parents died young.

It is an awful idea and one that I hope not to have to experience to find out the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
Creepy to the last. ;-)

I will totally kick you off the lifeboat, lady.

Anyway, all the other guys are thinking it too, they're just too polite to say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't today's ships designed with enough life boats to handle the capacity on the ship? I guess I'd check that before I got on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilgore_Smores wrote:
Aren't today's ships designed with enough life boats to handle the capacity on the ship? I guess I'd check that before I got on.

Sir? What are you doing?

Just getting on the internet. It will only take a minute.

But...but...the ship is sinking! Don't you want to get in a lifeboat?

Sure I do! But I need to make sure that enough lifeboats are on this ship to hold everybody. Let's see. I'll google "lifeboats Titanic". No, that just tells me about how they were constructed so thy'd be unsinkable. Maybe "lifeboat capacity" will work. No, that just tells me how many people can fit in a lifeboat. There's got to be something here. Let's try this. Oh, yeah! That's it! It looks like there's plenty of room for everybody. I'll get on that lifeboat now! Hey, where'd everybody go? There's no more lifeboats! And that is one huge wave coming at me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Kilgore_Smores wrote:

Sir? What are you doing?

Just getting on the internet. It will only take a minute.

But...but...the ship is sinking! Don't you want to get in a lifeboat?

Sure I do! But I need to make sure that enough lifeboats are on this ship to hold everybody. Let's see. I'll google "lifeboats Titanic". No, that just tells me about how they were constructed so thy'd be unsinkable. Maybe "lifeboat capacity" will work. No, that just tells me how many people can fit in a lifeboat. There's got to be something here. Let's try this. Oh, yeah! That's it! It looks like there's plenty of room for everybody. I'll get on that lifeboat now! Hey, where'd everybody go? There's no more lifeboats! And that is one huge wave coming at me!

Hopefully my laptop could be used as a floatation device -I'm sure there's a ripcord on it somewhere.

I meant before I left dry land, I'd do a little research, which, I agree, would amount to squat when faced with chaos. Come to think of it, I'll sit this cruise out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.