Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
My son Daniel had his first birthday party over Labor Day weekend, so I decided to test out Crappy Birthday in exactly the way it was intended (given as a gift and played at the party it is brought to). This is a report of the occasion:

Crappy Birthday was among the other gifts that Daniel received. To my dismay, the packaging failed at being noticed. In fact, Daniel passed it up repeatedly for other gifts even though I put it as close to him as possible.

This demonstrates a flaw in the packaging design.
When I finally got him to sit down and play the game, it was obvious that he did not grasp some the rules. For instance, he like to reveal the cards to everyone before he played them.

This demonstrates that the game is too complicated, or that the rules were not clearly written.
We finally got him to understand that the cards are to be played secretly...

... when we ran into another problem. Daniel thought it was MORE fun to eat the cards than play them:

I looked through the rules, and sure enough, nothing addressed this problem! Daniel thinks it is a glaring omission, and I have to admit that I'm not sure how to counter that argument.

With all of this negative feedback, I was expecting Daniel to give Crappy Birthday a bad rating...

... but I was pleasantly surprised. Daniel says he had a wonderful time playing and he recommends it to anyone over the age of 11 months.

Daniel's Rating:

He also wants me to let everyone know two very important things:

1) Our graphic designer, Jacoby O'Connor, created a variant that we like so much, we're considering changing the rules for the next print run. I just posted them under the Crappy Birthday rules variants.

2) Crappy Birthday will be available at Barnes & Noble starting next week. Cheers!

(Edit -- This review was first posted in my blog.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My First Crappy Birthday
He probably thought a box labelled "Crappy Birthday" was some new nappies (diapers), and like any self-respecting male, opted not to open the present containing boring clothes.

We had to houserule the card-eating thing too (my wife gnawed one or two absentmindedly thinking they were diet wafers of some sort). It was simple enough, we just agreed she wouldn't play any with obvious teethmarks, whih reduced her choices and thus her chance to win the game without decreasing the number of calories she was ingesting.

Anyhow, I'm glad he enjoyed the game in the end. Children can be so ungrateful sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My First Crappy Birthday

That's just the sort of clear-thinking, straightforward review BGG needs more of; rule analysis for weak spots, and overall impression. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, you have excellent taste in games!

A very happy not-so-crappy birthday to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Daniel, you have excellent taste in games!

A very happy not-so-crappy birthday to you!

Or perhaps the games have a great taste (for him)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.