Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in an odd position here. I think I understand how the Sorceress and the Paladin's Gauntlets are supposed to work, but the strange wording leaves me wondering if I'm missing something.

Sorceress
Both Open Portal and Alternate Form specify that they are used "During the battle phase". Which is redundant; they are special actions, you can only take one action per turn, and actions occur during the battle phase. So why would it bother to say "during the battle phase"?

Then, Mystic Flare doesn't say "During the battle phase". So...you can use it in the setup or resolution phase? Or during the monster's phase? No, obviously you can't, since you don't get actions during those times. Perhaps this is to take into account that in some future expansions there will be a "sneak attack" item that allows a hero to take actions during the setup phase?

Then, I look at the original character cards, and notice that the elf and wizard both specify that you can't perform a melee shot along with their special action. Obvious, since you can only take one action per turn, but possibly good to have there as a reminder. But why doesn't the Sorceress say this? Are Open Portal and Alternate Form supposed to not actually take actions? That would certainly be a huge improvement - as is, they seem incredibly un-useful.

Gauntlets (Paladin item)
Then we've got the gauntlets.

"Once per room as a special action when the paladin kills a monster..."

You've just killed a monster, so you must have taken an action to do so. You can only take one action per turn, so how can you then take a special action to use the gauntlets?

We assumed this was just an error, and the gauntlets aren't supposed to require an action to use. But, combined with the above, is it actually the case that special actions aren't really supposed to take your action unless they explicitly say so?

"Place the monster card for that monster on this card."

Odd. Why not place the monster token, which you'll be keeping anyway?
I suppose the intention here is that the paladin can "save" up the monsters on the gauntlets, but can only have one of each monster saved up?

Again, I think I know how it works, its just a bit confusing.

I'm very curious to hear anyone else's opinions on these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think placing the monster on the card means the Overlord cannot now use any of that type of monster, until you switch it out. I may be mistaken, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think placing the monster on the card means the Overlord cannot now use any of that type of monster, until you switch it out. I may be mistaken, though.

There's a Witch Hunter artifact that you place a monster token on, and the Catacomb Lord can't use that specific monster token. I don't think the Gauntlets cause anything like that as a side effect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Mystic Flare: I think it's clear enough that the Mystic Flare may only be used during the battle phase. However, without clarification, it could be argued that the Alternate Form could be used during the set up phase (I don't know about the Open Portal spell, though. I it seems like it should be plenty clear that it may only be used during the battle phase).

As for the Gauntlets: maybe the card says to take the monster card (rather than the disc) so that the Paladin can save the hp up for another resolution phase, without the worry that the Catacomb lord will need the monster disc and take it away. Even if the Paladin leaves the monster card on his Gauntlets everyone at the table should still be able to reference the card, if the monster comes up in a later room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.