Subject: The sky is burning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
You've probably seen reports of the hundreds of fires in Central and East Texas. I'm in a county just southeast of two counties being affected. I'm in Montgomery, and the fires are (mostly) in Grimes and Waller - although there a dozen or so communities that have been evacuated in the last few days, and some have returned to their homes safe and sound. Over the entire state, I've seen reports ranging from 800 - 1,600 homes destroyed or damaged (nobody seems to have an exact figure, which is unsettling).

Even though we've never been directly in danger (about 10-20 miles away from the "front"), the smoke and ash in the air has given me a persistent cough, and my son - who's asthmatic - has to keep a close eye on his condition while being in a marching band who has to perform tonight. Yesterday, while running errands, I suddenly saw flakes of grey and black ash falling from the sky, dusting cars and sticking to clothing. I paused to consider a grim thought: is this the remains of someone's home?

For all of Facebook's inanity, it has been a good source of informal and formal community information - school closings, food and clothing drives for families, water, food and other essentials for the firefighters - many of them volunteer, by the way.

I've heard that the horrific Bastrop fire is 80% contained, and I think the Magnolia fire near us is about 60% contained. Today the air is much cleaner - shift in the wind? fewer fires? Hard to say, but it's certainly not over yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
if there were only a pipeline to get it there, we of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast would gladly ship you some of our plentiful H2O.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
When the recent big tornado passed within a few miles of us, our yard had chunks of insulation it it. That was definitely part of someone's home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
You've probably seen reports of the hundreds of fires in Central and East Texas. .

Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Sinister Dexter wrote:

I've heard that the horrific Bastrop fire is 80% contained, and I think the Magnolia fire near us is about 60% contained. Today the air is much cleaner - shift in the wind? fewer fires? Hard to say, but it's certainly not over yet.

And 1700 homes completely destroyed. Gone, nothing. The sad part is, unlike flooded homes of the north east, where you can at least salvage "something", the people with homes burned to the ground lost "everything".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just mind boggling to think how long this has gone on. I hope you all get some relief soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
devil whistle And I believe...My soul's...ON FIIII--YERR! whistle devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the smaller fires burned two or three houses in the neighborhood next to mine. Sparking power lines were to blame it appears.

The larger Bastrop fire is about 30 miles east of me. Much less smoke in the air today. On Monday, I could see billowing smoke plumes from that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
We got a scare yesterday when the Christmas Tree Farm only a half-mile from us caught fire. Did burning embers get that far on the wind? Turns out it was arson, and the perp was caught and arrested. Bastard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
We got a scare yesterday when the Christmas Tree Farm only a half-mile from us caught fire. Did burning embers get that far on the wind? Turns out it was arson, and the perp was caught and arrested. Bastard.

good grief, what is wrong with people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know three people at work who live in the Steiner Ranch subdivision on the west side of town. The up scale area first hit by some of the wildfires and completely evacuated for two days.

Person one had no damage at all.
Person two had his back yard burn up.
Person three lost his fence and backyard, but his two side neighbors both had their houses completely burn down. He figures the only reason his house did not burn down was because the fire hydrant is in front of his house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacqui Bankler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found out that my they had to evacuate my workplace on Friday due to a brushfire in the area. Fortunately, no property damage. This past week there was a fire in the Stone Oak area and a fire in Camp Bullis. Ironically, the fire in the Stone Oak area was caused when a truck from the San Antonio Water System caught fire when working on a sewer project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.