Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering how many characters had stance abilities. So, I was looking through the rule book and I noticed under components it said:

3 Stance tokens (Bruenor, Catti-brie, Drizzt)
2 Charge tokens
2 Duel tokens
2 Double Strike tokens
6 Power Strike tokens

So, 3 characters use the new stance abilities. Whether these other tokens listed offer off-turn abilities or whether they let you charge up for stronger attacks I’m not sure. But either way I think those types of abilities are a good idea and might add some more strategy to the game.

My guess on the use of these powers is that they will be one time abilities (daily, utility). If it was done in a balanced way, it would be cool to have an At-Will stance type ability (re-usable).

I also noticed that there were eight players characters mentioned but only 7 blue figures listed. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things I can clear up:

- 8 Hero cards but only 7 blue figures
Two Heroes also work as Villains (Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle Baenre). These figures are in the traditional grey colour used for Villains. The other blue figure is Guenhwyvar, Drizzt's panther companion (a Utility Power in the board game).

- Stances
Each of the three characters has a single Stance Token, and your Hero always receives the benefit of a certain stance if that token is on the particular stance card. For the human archer, Catti-Brie, we know that two of her stances can be chosen at the beginning of each of her Hero Phases. This way, she can always select if she wants to do extra damage this turn or have the ability to regain Hit Points.
The only At-Will Stance I've heard of is "Twinkle", one of the drow ranger's (Drizzt) powers. There is a picture of the card in the first post of this thread as well as pictures and descriptions of other stances.

- Power Strike Tokens
From somebody who played Bruenor (dwarf figher) at GenCon, you have a certain number of these tokens if you select a certain Power Card. If you hit with any attack, you can choose to spend one of these tokens to deal one point of extra damage.

I don't know anything about the other tokens, unfortunately.

Edit: Here's the thread I was referring to
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6368378#6368378
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the rules I only have one concern.

It looks like they might recycle some of the treasure cards and maybe even some encounter cards.

I just hope they don’t do too much recycling. Do you have any sense how much new material is in the game decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't know how many cards will be recycled, but from the bits and pieces I've seen, I'm hopeful that there won't be too many.

The only previously used item I've seen is the ever useful (and fantasy standard) "Potion of Healing".

Other than that, I've seen a Necklace of Speed (+2 to speed) which I believe is new.

Furthermore, I'm hopeful that many items will relate to the novels. Examples for this are the "Belt of Storm Giant Strength" (Athrogate, the dwarven battlerager is said to wear one.) and the "Spidermask" (in the novels an item that allows to escape spider webs).

I don't know what either item does in the game as I've only seen the item's name.

The traps seem to be all new in effect and graphic (the markers have artwork instead of just text).

Encounters also seem very thematic with many referring to the drow and their Spider Queen or the particular environment ("Volcanic Vent").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt dig throught the treasure deck at GenCon but there i dont think i saw many old treasures other thanpotions in my play. You also will draw treasures that have an instant effect. It may not even be useful if no one has he condition it helps.

The encounter deck was Thematic. Alot of the cards refer to specific tiles. Ie. An encounter will cause all volcanic vent tiles to erupt and deal damage to anyone on those tiles. Also, i drew a nothing happens encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:

The encounter deck was Thematic. Alot of the cards refer to specific tiles. Ie. An encounter will cause all volcanic vent tiles to erupt and deal damage to anyone on those tiles. Also, i drew a nothing happens encounter card.

Oh, I like the sound of both those encounter cards.

As cool as the monster AI system is in these games is, it can be too predictable. I like the idea of the encounter deck augmenting what is happening on the board. By throwing in a little chaos, the board play will be less predictable and more dynamic.

Those encounters sound great. It would also be nice if there was a “no monster appears” card in the monster deck.

One variant that we have been playing with is putting one of the NPCs from Ashardalon into the monster deck (hidden under a normal sleeved encounter card). When you draw the NPC you get relief from the monsters but if the NPC dies during the game you have to immediately draw an encounter card. If we can get the NPC to an exit, the NPC escapes and we draw a treasure. It adds nice little sub goal and it mixes things up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that there are some 'No Monster' cards in the monster deck for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that there are some 'No Monster' cards in the monster deck for this game.

This would make sense from the content list in the rule book.

There are 30 Monster Cards in LoD but only 27 monsters. So, presumably 3 "No Monster" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet.

So, the next qustion would be:

Where is the best place to pre-order this game. I noticed that you can get it for $43 at buy.com

Have you guys found a better deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an addition to my previous post:

Given that the power strike tokens show axes (Bruenor's weapon), I expect that the dual strike tokens are somehow connected to Athrogate (they show the morningstar as symbol).

Athrogate wields two morningstars (one which produces a liquid that makes other metal rust and the other one oozing oil of impact), I guess that these tokens allow to make two attacks a limited number of times per adventure. Pure speculation, but it would make sense from what I've read so far and in context with the novels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stance concept really opens up the design space for custom heroes. Here is one I posted under WoA that has a default utility (Skilled Acrobat) using the shield token to represent the stance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stance like ability!
XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow chromaticdragon Great sheet! you impress me everyday! Wish you were in my gaming group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we see it made in to the game templates?? i wonder whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:

Yes, we did encounter the No Monster cards at GenCon in our playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.