Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Reccomandation for 3+ player game (something like settlers of catan) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mateo Huško
msg tools
Hi

I bought smallworld board game 2 months ago but didn't like it that much. In the meantime I played settlers of catan several times and I like it very much. Now I'm thinking of buying new game. What do you think about agricola or puerto rico? Or some other game?

The thing I liked in settlers was that every time you start a game, board looks different and turns are pretty fast so other players are not waiting.

What would you reccomend?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not my favorite game by any means, but Dominion pretty much fills that cup: it plays well 3+, it's customizable (just like the tiles in Settlers) and turns usually go fast, or at least as fast as Settlers turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
In Agricola and Puerto Rico, players interact through their choice of actions, but not on that board since each person has their own board.

Settlers has a pretty unique combination of features, but some games share some things. For a couple popular games: Ticket to Ride has competitions for connections and card play; Carcassonne has the variable board (but the whole game is building the board).

Another Klaus Teuber design, Löwenherz/Domaine (Domaine is a redesign, but both have their fans) has variable boards, competition for board areas, and secret cards.

I'm not sure exactly why, but Taj Mahal comes to mind as well. The board isn't variable, but the order of regions competed for is random. The bidding for position keeps people involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Sonnenberg
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check out Ascending Empires.

I has a very similar feeling to Settlers (expanding to new regions, building colonies/cities, etc.) but it's set in space.

Oh, and the best part? You get to physically flick your ships across the board to move/explore.

It works well with 3 and 4. Haven't tried it with 2 yet but I imagine that would be good as well. Also, turns go very very quickly, so people aren't waiting around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Tikal. It has mutable set-up and it's about exploring jungles and finding treasures. I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players would you play it with?

Do you want something more complex than Small World and Catan? Or something of comparable "weight"?

Is trading or other direct interaction important to you? Would you prefer a game where you can attack each other? Do you like nasty "take that!" plays, or do you prefer indirect interaction?

Is a "board" important to you, or would a card game that "plays like a board game" be ok?

Any limits on game length (lower or upper)?

Are there any other games you have played and enjoyed or disliked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongly recommend Kingsburg as a step up from Catan - 2-5 players.

Puerto Rico and Agrícola are more heavy weight games than Settlers and did not work with my casual game group.

We hated Small World, then unearthed it 12 months later and decided that it was a fun game after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders - simultaneous play, therefore no downtime and no waiting...
Carcassonne - fairly quick turns, tile-laying so the "board" will always look different...
Endeavor - turns go by pretty quick...while the board is static, the counter layout is random, so each game will be different...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
Select a state/province (U.S. and Canada only)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notre Dame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Carcassonne, Fresco, Ticket to Ride and Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hollow123 wrote:
Hi

I bought smallworld board game 2 months ago but didn't like it that much. In the meantime I played settlers of catan several times and I like it very much. Now I'm thinking of buying new game. What do you think about agricola or puerto rico? Or some other game?

The thing I liked in settlers was that every time you start a game, board looks different and turns are pretty fast so other players are not waiting.

What would you reccomend?

Thank you

I found there where some downtime in Agricola. Maybe it depents on the players, but you have a lot of figuring out what you want to do in your turn.

In Puerto Rico the board is very similar from one game to the next. I like Race for the Galaxy better. It has some of the same mechanics but the set up of the game changes more from one game to the next.

In Dominion you get a game with little downtime and a different set up each game. The drawback of Dominion is that you need some of the expansions to get the full experience of the game.

The games that I mentioned have less player interaction than Catan. If you want more player interaction you might take a look at Attika for game that fit your description. It also has a real modular board. Race for the Galaxy and Dominion are card games, but they sort of make a board out of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateo Huško
msg tools
Kevin B. Smith made pretty good questions so I will answer them. First of all you need to know that my friends and me are new in this "board game world". Only games we tried b4 settlers of catan was monopoly, risk, pictionary etc.

peakhope wrote:
How many players would you play it with?

4 most of the time but anything between 3-X is good.

peakhope wrote:
Do you want something more complex than Small World and Catan? Or something of comparable "weight"?

Smallworld was kinda too complex with all those rules. It just killed a game. Also I think there was not enough thinking or planing in smallworld. Every aspect of settlers of catan I found pretty fine.

peakhope wrote:
Is trading or other direct interaction important to you? Would you prefer a game where you can attack each other? Do you like nasty "take that!" plays, or do you prefer indirect interaction?

Interaction between people is not that important. Same goes with trade. I didn't like trade between people that much in settlers. Attacking is not important.

peakhope wrote:
Is a "board" important to you, or would a card game that "plays like a board game" be ok?

I never tried anything but board game but I prefer board game.

peakhope wrote:
Any limits on game length (lower or upper)?

60-180min

peakhope wrote:
Are there any other games you have played and enjoyed or disliked?

Didn't play enough board games to tell you. I liked risk but it becomes boring after some time of play because there is too much rolling dice. My friend who also like settlers of catan played ticket to ride and said it's really good but he will buy it so I don't have to.

I guess settlers is just perfect but I got bored of it because played 2-3 games per day several days in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those answers. Nothing is coming to mind for me right now as a perfect fit what you want, so I'll offer up comments on some of the other suggestions so far:

Dominion - Has the variability, but tends to be well under 60 minutes, and is a card game (no board at all).

Ticket to Ride - Static board, and is lighter than Settlers, which your group might not (or might?) appreciate.

Carcassonne - Has variability with the tile-laying, and the tiles do create a board of sorts. The rules are pretty simple, but as you learn the game there are some interesting tactics (and strategies, although less of those).

Tikal - Has variability as the tiles are laid. Having 10 actions to spend each turn can be a bit daunting, but after you have played a bit it's not bad. Seems like a reasonable fit.

Kingsburg - The board is very static, but there is variability, both in what buildings each player chooses to build, and in what monsters show up each year. The dice provide a lot of randomness, but it's kind of like poker where the winner is likely to be whoever made the best use of what they got. Could work.

7 Wonders - A shorter game that is more cards than board, but each player does have a board of sorts. Each player's tableau will be different each game, so has that level of variability. Some people say it lacks replayability, but I haven't played enough to judge that.

Notre Dame - Static board, aside from the carriage tokens. Nice card drafting mechanic. It would seem quite complicated at first. Has both strategic and tactical elements. Knowing all the cards is one key to winning.

Stone Age - Static board. The variability comes from what order the huts and cards come up. Could work.

Race for the Galaxy - Card game that plays more like a board game (about as much as 7 Wonders). I would strongly recommend learning San Juan first, as it presents many of the same mechanics in a much easier format. Both of these games are well under an hour, although perhaps if you add RftG expansions it might get longer (I haven't tried the expansions). Race in particular does have a lot of variability from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should listen to what Mateo wants and don't suggest all kind of games that doesn't fit what he is looking for.

With the new information, I will try to sum up:

- 3+ players
- a modular board that changes from game to game
- preferbly a board game over a card game
- fast turns / little down time
- with play time of 60-180 min
- more thinking and planing than in smallworld
- not too complex rules

You would probally find Race for the Galaxy too complex. Dominion plays in 30 min and it's just a card game. Attika still fit the bill with the new information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alhambra and Survive: Escape from Atlantis might also be good ones to consider. Neither one is very complex to learn, but there is some planning and strategy involved. They are very different games, though. Alhambra is less interactive, since you are building your own structure with tiles and competing by blocking others from getting what they want. Survive has a lot of direct interaction where you kill each others' meeples with sea monsters. Lots of fun too, but very different experience in each. Both use modular tiles that change the game significantly each time.

Tobago fits your criteria too, I think, but I don't like it as much as Alhambra, Survive, Carcassonne, etc. Although the Tobago board is modular and the clues are different for each treasure, it can feel somewhat repetitive even during one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Agricola fits most of what you are looking for. It plays well with 3 OR 4, has a different set-up in the way the cards are different, their is little down time, there are different difficulty levels with the cards and it is a great great game IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I think it seems like the options is a little more limited in Puerto Rico than Agricola but I may be wrong. Personally I ordered Dominant species instead of Settlers of Catan but I don't know if it would work for you. The map will look different just as in Catan but there i area control as in Small world and maybe it feels a little bit to chaotic?

Edit: If you thought the rules of Small world was too much maybe not Dominant Species? But I haven't read the rules of small world so what do I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Edit: If you thought the rules of Small world was too much maybe not Dominant Species? But I haven't read the rules of small world so what do I know.

I have played Small World but not Dominant Species. To me the rules of Small World don't feel more complex than the rules of Catan, but Small World feels kinda fiddly with a lot of tokens to keep track on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have listed some of the sugested games in order of Averages Game Weight according the users for BBG. I haven't played them all myself, so can say how well they fit the requirements.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 1.7
Carcassonne 1.9
Tobago 2.1
Alhambra 2.1
Small World 2.3
Ascending Empires 2.3
San Juan 2.3
Catan 2.4
Dominion 2.4
Attika 2.4
Kingsburg 2.4
Domaine 2.7
Tikal 2.9
Race for the Galaxy 2.9
Puerto Rico 3.3
Agricola 3.6
Dominant Species 3.9

Of Course different people can feel differently about different games like I don't feel that Small World is more complex that Catan, but I still think it can be some kind of guide line. E.g Dominant Species is probally too complex with Averages Weight of 3.9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
Select a state/province (U.S. and Canada only)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I not that sure that I still recommend Notre Dame having read the additional criteria. I suggested it because the people in my games group who love settlers also love Notre Dame and the weight is comparable. I would say that when you first read the rules it can seem very complicated with 9 cards that all do different things and then character cards on top of that. However if you have the patience to make it through on game looking at the rules as required then you'll see how clear the symbology is and you'll rarely look at the rules again after that first game. Tactics develop the more you play and the more familiar you become with the characters. It is a game that felt pretty m'eh the first time and has got better and better with each replay (my rating has gone from 6 to 10 over the last 2 months). Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateo Huško
msg tools
Ok maybe I said it wrong... once you have played smallworld several times, it's not that complex. We just had problems figuring out game (maybe because ruzles were in english and not my native language) but there is not enough thinking or planing. It's quite obvius which rase is best at which moment, and there is not enough tense in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you, I'd definitely try Carcassonne. It has nearly endless variety with all the different expansions.

Ticket to Ride is good too. The board is fixed but it never seems to get old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want short turns, simple rules and a variable board, Carcassonne is what you need. The board changes every game (the game is, in fact, about making the board), the rules are very simple (draw a tile, place it on the table and place a meeple on it), and turns go very fast.

Another option could be Ticket to Ride. You just draw cards or place trains, which makes the flow of play mega-fast, and while the board is always the same, the different destination tickets you have at the beginning of each turn make up for the variability.

If you like rolling dice as in Risk, you can also try Zombies!!!. Turns are also fast and doesn't make you think too much: just advance, roll the dice and play cards on your opponents. The downside of this game is that, if you don't play with the fastplay rules you can find on the net, it could drag a little bit (although nowhere as long as Risk) during the endgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Thornton
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd throw Glen More into the mix -- in large part because I found it to be something that kind of took the place of Settlers for me.

There is a level of predictability involved, but only so much as to actually plan (although, you'll need to play a couple times to really plan ahead).

With 2-3 it has a dice that acts as an additional player - but it actually works very smoothly (and can be a sniper when you really want a specific tile).

I'd say there is equal or less downtime compared to Settlers - and ideally you'll be planning potential moves.

Setup is pretty quick too (not nearly as many pieces to throw around as Small World).

Oh yeah, it's affordable too - I got mine for around $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.