Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today in only our second game ever of AH a situation came up that I wasn't 100% sure how to resolve.

A Mythos card closed all of the locations in the Misk. U. area until the following turn. However, one of the Investigators happened to get devoured. His new character started at the Science Building, which was closed at the moment. We weren't exactly sure if he could start there (but couldn't encounter it until it reopened) or if he had to be pushed to the street. How is this situation handled?

Second, is there a limit to the number of allies an Investigator can have?

Thanks for any help.

UPDATE: New question I forgot about (I'm sure others will follow).

I forget what character was being played, possibly the Librarian. Her ability was to reroll any failed dice of a Skill Check. What we wondered was: Does this apply to Combat Checks as well?

The reason why is that the back of the rule book mentions Skill Checks and then has a separate heading called Special Skill Checks, along with Evade, Horror, etc. Would her ability have to say "Special Skill Checks" specifically to apply to these or do they fall under the umbrella of all Skill Checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Re: Starting location closed? and How many allies? Questions
n107 wrote:
A Mythos card closed all of the locations in the Misk. U. area until the following turn. However, one of the Investigators happened to get devoured. His new character started at the Science Building, which was closed at the moment. We weren't exactly sure if he could start there (but couldn't encounter it until it reopened) or if he had to be pushed to the street. How is this situation handled?

The investigator would be pushed to the street.

n107 wrote:
Second, is there a limit to the number of allies an Investigator can have?

No limit, though acquiring more than 1 or 2 takes a lot of luck or a ton of resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Starting location closed? and How many allies? Questions
Thanks for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:

UPDATE: New question I forgot about (I'm sure others will follow).

I forget what character was being played, possibly the Librarian. Her ability was to reroll any failed dice of a Skill Check. What we wondered was: Does this apply to Combat Checks as well?

The reason why is that the back of the rule book mentions Skill Checks and then has a separate heading called Special Skill Checks, along with Evade, Horror, etc. Would her ability have to say "Special Skill Checks" specifically to apply to these or do they fall under the umbrella of all Skill Checks.
As the other two Qs have been answered for you, I'll address the addition: a Combat check is a Skill check (you are using your Fight skill, plus combat modifiers), so yes, you can re-roll the failed dice.

The confusion arises because there are primary skills (fight, lore, speed, will, sneak, luck) and there are Skill checks that you make against those primary skills (e.g. close a Gate against Fight or Lore); then there are secondary skills that are derived from the primary skill by adding context-specific bonuses/penalties (e.g. Combat, Horror, Evade). The rulebook calls skill checks against a secondary skill "Special Skill Checks", but they are still Skill checks and anything that affects a Skill check affects a Special Skill Check (unless it specifically states otherwise). Anything that stated that it affected Special Skill Checks would not affect "primary" skill checks.

The rule I follow is that if something affects the general class, it also affects the subclass. If something affects the subclass it does not affect the general class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.