Chris Dunbar
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

So while I've still been gaming weekly or better since getting into this hobby in mid-2008, over the last year I've stopped logging plays and stopped frequenting the geek to stay on top of news, new games, etc. Life just got busy, and my group's location changed, leading to a waning interest in gaming for me. However, we've recently acquired a great new space and are purging the group of some of the less-desirable members because of it, so my interest has been reinvigorated!

So, to help get me back up to speed, what the hell's been going on the last year? What games are hot? What games have lost their spunk? Who's the new break-out game designer? What's the new black? And, most of all, is Agricola still better than Puerto Rico? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
- Euros have been falling out of style, especially "pure" Euros. Dice-based Euros are making inroads. The two new big ones (also mentioned below) are Alien Frontiers and Troyes.

- dice games are the new thang in 2010-2011. Troyes, Alien Frontiers, Quarriors!, and Elder Sign are all making their mark.

- speaking of Alien Frontiers, Kickstarter projects are the new fad. You might come across one or two (or twenty) threads about Kickstarters while browsing.

- The Dominion-style deckbuilding genre has continued to grow. This year we have The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, plus expansions for Ascension, Thunderstone, Dominion, Nightfall, and Resident Evil. Rune Age is a new deckbuilder coming out, and Arcana (one of my favorite deck-builders) is getting a re-release.

- the new wave of OOP games that everyone wants to get includes Twilight Struggle, Descent (new edition coming out), Game of Thrones, Finca, Battlelore, Taluva, and several of the Gipf Project games. And of course, convention promos (the LotR Card Game promos come to mind) are still selling for stupidly-high prices.

- Twilight Struggle is now better than both Agricola and Puerto Rico, apparently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
HenryFatass wrote:
Hey guys,

So while I've still been gaming weekly or better since getting into this hobby in mid-2008, over the last year I've stopped logging plays and stopped frequenting the geek to stay on top of news, new games, etc. Life just got busy, and my group's location changed, leading to a waning interest in gaming for me. However, we've recently acquired a great new space and are purging the group of some of the less-desirable members because of it, so my interest has been reinvigorated!

So, to help get me back up to speed, what the hell's been going on the last year? What games are hot? What games have lost their spunk? Who's the new break-out game designer? What's the new black? And, most of all, is Agricola still better than Puerto Rico? ninja

1. As the above contributor has said, and much to my dismay, the traditional Euro is becoming MUCH less common. However, with Essen on the approach, it seems a nice new batch of my beloved Euro games is on its way!

2. Diced based games are everywhere. All of the ones he mentioned, aside from Elder Sign which I can't judge (because i know nothing about it), are quality games, with Troyes being far and above the best of them.

3. During the last year, Twilight Struggle overtook both PR and 'gric, several new games have broken into the top 100, the geek has gotten several revamps (the newest is a shorter geeklist format which allows you to view just titles!), video reviews have become even more prolific, and I've gained absolutely no patience when it comes to waiting for game releases.

4. Clear is the new black.

5. You never stopped gaming...don't lie...and I'll see you at the hoopla?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
[All of the ones he mentioned, aside from Elder Sign, are quality games

Sounds like something a cultist would say. Ignore him, he's just trying to keep his master's gateway open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
slaqr wrote:
[All of the ones he mentioned, aside from Elder Sign, are quality games

Sounds like something a cultist would say. Ignore him, he's just trying to keep his master's gateway open.

I should really change what I said...because I guess I really don't know much about Elder Sign...i meant to go back and retype to say "All of the ones he mentioned, aside from Elder Sign (which I know nothing about), are quality games. Going to edit now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dunbar
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
- Euros have been falling out of style, especially "pure" Euros. Dice-based Euros are making inroads. The two new big ones (also mentioned below) are Alien Frontiers and Troyes.

- dice games are the new thang in 2010-2011. Troyes, Alien Frontiers, Quarriors!, and Elder Sign are all making their mark.

- speaking of Alien Frontiers, Kickstarter projects are the new fad. You might come across one or two (or twenty) threads about Kickstarters while browsing.

- The Dominion-style deckbuilding genre has continued to grow. This year we have The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, plus expansions for Ascension, Thunderstone, Dominion, Nightfall, and Resident Evil. Rune Age is a new deckbuilder coming out, and Arcana (one of my favorite deck-builders) is getting a re-release.

- the new wave of OOP games that everyone wants to get includes Twilight Struggle, Descent (new edition coming out), Game of Thrones, Finca, Battlelore, Taluva, and several of the Gipf Project games. And of course, convention promos (the LotR Card Game promos come to mind) are still selling for stupidly-high prices.

- Twilight Struggle is now better than both Agricola and Puerto Rico, apparently

All of this is very disappointing! I definitely have noticed the rise of the dice games, and the 8 million deck builders, but just assumed those were more 'mainstream' fare, or at least as mainstream as possible without winding up on the shelves of Wal-mart.

I joined the hobby at such a great time, at least from my prospective. Agricola was still fresh and new, Pandemic, and Race, and Dominion, and Le Havre all came to the scene shortly there after. Has there not been a big hit like one of those in the last year? I mean it's not like I've been living under a rock, and I certainly haven't heard of anything, but I just hoped it was my disconnection to the geek and not because there actually hasn't been anything big.

I have a guy in my group that is a card-carrying member of the Cult of the New, and he hasn't come in with anything too exciting lately either. Mondo is relatively fun, but just a light filler. London is just 'meh' for me. 51st State is alright, but a little long for what it is.

I guess 7 Wonders was a big hit in the last year or so and I do enjoy that.

Oh well...I guess that just means there's more time for the classics!

Thanks for the info everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
HenryFatass wrote:
All of this is very disappointing! I definitely have noticed the rise of the dice games, and the 8 million deck builders, but just assumed those were more 'mainstream' fare, or at least as mainstream as possible without winding up on the shelves of Wal-mart.

I joined the hobby at such a great time, at least from my prospective. Agricola was still fresh and new, Pandemic, and Race, and Dominion, and Le Havre all came to the scene shortly there after. Has there not been a big hit like one of those in the last year? I mean it's not like I've been living under a rock, and I certainly haven't heard of anything, but I just hoped it was my disconnection to the geek and not because there actually hasn't been anything big.

It depends on what you mean by "big hit". Troyes, Alien Frontiers, and Quarriors have all been a big hit. 7 Wonders is also a mega-hit (just a few slots away from the Top 10, iirc), but you already mentioned that. Earth Reborn is my own personal "big hit" but its reception has been fairly muted here on BGG.

If you're looking for games like Race (one of my personal favs), then you might want to check out Innovation and GOSU. Innovation is made by the same designer as Glory to Rome and it is very chaotic (so be warned). I did a review on both games in case you're interested. BTW, Innovation has an expansion out and Gosu has one on the way.

To be honest, the last year has felt like boardgame publishers are filling in the niches of gaming. The games you mentioned (Dominion, Race, Agricola, Pandemic) carved out massive markets, and so people are still exploring what those games pioneered. I don't think we've seen a truly groundbreaking game in the last year, just some very excellent, well-designed games.

HenryFatass wrote:

I have a guy in my group that is a card-carrying member of the Cult of the New, and he hasn't come in with anything too exciting lately either. Mondo is relatively fun, but just a light filler. London is just 'meh' for me. 51st State is alright, but a little long for what it is.

I guess 7 Wonders was a big hit in the last year or so and I do enjoy that.

Oh well...I guess that just means there's more time for the classics!

Thanks for the info everyone!

I've been exploring past games, too. Recently, my endeavor has been abstracts. Just now getting into the Gipf Project games. Good stuff. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:

GIPF Project games getting hard to find? This displeases me... I thought I was "up" on everything to be worried about. Time to trick someone into trading me their copy of YINSH before they figure this out too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, two things - the LotR card game is not really in the Dominion mold. It's a Living Card Game - like a CCG but you know exactly what you're buying, similar the the Heroscape model. There are regular mini-expansions which you can buy or not, as you see fit. But the deckbuilding is not part of the game as it is in Dominion and all its many offshoots.

Also, the dice-based Euros are still Euros. Macao is one of my favorite games of the past few years, and Troyes and Lords of Vegas use dice in ways that are really intriguing twists on the classics. Not to mention Alien Frontiers, which is very similar in spirit to Kingsburg (dice are workers, and what they roll determines what you can do) but improves on it in a lot of ways. Please don't ignore them just because they have dice. I don't claim they're all brilliant games that everyone should like, but they might surprise you even if you don't like dice in games.

Edits: Also, on the deckbuilding front, consider A Few Acres of Snow, Martin Wallace's deckbuilding 2-player wargame. Yes, I swear that sentence is accurate.

And the pure Euros are out there: Luna is interesting, Uwe has Ora et Labora coming out, Glen More is solid, Pergamon is a really nice lightweight euro, Lancaster is an area-control/resource management mix, and Olympos should be getting more buzz than it is. I swear it's the low-luck, 2-hour Civ-lite game we've been waiting for....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarriors. Love it or hate it, because you probably won't fall in the middle ground. That is the hotness right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Well, two things - the LotR card game is not really in the Dominion mold. It's a Living Card Game - like a CCG but you know exactly what you're buying, similar the the Heroscape model. There are regular mini-expansions which you can buy or not, as you see fit. But the deckbuilding is not part of the game as it is in Dominion and all its many offshoots.

Also, the dice-based Euros are still Euros. Macao is one of my favorite games of the past few years, and Troyes and Lords of Vegas use dice in ways that are really intriguing twists on the classics. Not to mention Alien Frontiers, which is very similar in spirit to Kingsburg (dice are workers, and what they roll determines what you can do) but improves on it in a lot of ways. Please don't ignore them just because they have dice. I don't claim they're all brilliant games that everyone should like, but they might surprise you even if you don't like dice in games.

Edits: Also, on the deckbuilding front, consider A Few Acres of Snow, Martin Wallace's deckbuilding 2-player wargame. Yes, I swear that sentence is accurate.

And the pure Euros are out there: Luna is interesting, Uwe has Ora et Labora coming out, Glen More is solid, Pergamon is a really nice lightweight euro, Lancaster is an area-control/resource management mix, and Olympos should be getting more buzz than it is. I swear it's the low-luck, 2-hour Civ-lite game we've been waiting for....
if I hate macao (and I do) will I like troyes? I know its hard to say but I find macao really annoying after the initial neato factor of the rondel wears off. Which was the 2nd game for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:

I would add The Castles of Burgundy to this list. It's already up to rank 151 despite not being widely available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
HenryFatass wrote:

Luna got a bit of buzz on the Geek, not a HUGE Agricola-level hit, but in the microcosm of my local gaming group it was a big hit - collective average rating of 8.07. Those narrow-minded about themes might be turned off by that part, but I think it's a brilliant and interesting game.

Not sure when you stopped gaming, but, the "Big 3" over the past year were probably Dominant Species, Hansa Teutonica (a must-play if you like classic euros), and 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just took a quick look at your collection, with a rating of 10 for Crokinole You might be interested in Ascending Empires This game combines civ building in space with flicking discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao is very little like Troyes, other than that they use dice. In Troyes, everyone rolls dice, but you can buy other people's dice and use them as workers. So it's more like traditional worker placement in that working to get more dice will pay off with better choice of actions/better income for you. Like in something like Caylus, all actions are available to everyone, but the Tradesman idea means you'll only get to use a few of them throughout the game. But planning is much more possible. I'm guessing what annoys you about Macao is the lack of potential planning - you draft a good card and hope the dice help. Troyes is not much like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Macao is very little like Troyes, other than that they use dice. In Troyes, everyone rolls dice, but you can buy other people's dice and use them as workers. So it's more like traditional worker placement in that working to get more dice will pay off with better choice of actions/better income for you. Like in something like Caylus, all actions are available to everyone, but the Tradesman idea means you'll only get to use a few of them throughout the game. But planning is much more possible. I'm guessing what annoys you about Macao is the lack of potential planning - you draft a good card and hope the dice help. Troyes is not much like that.

You nailed it. That and as often as not you take cards cause they are cheap not cause they help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.