Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,
I posted a question in the Conflict of Heroes forums a few weeks ago regarding control markers in wargames.

I probably should have posted it to more of a general wargaming forum such as this, but posted it in the CoH forums because I was playing it at the time.

Anyway, my question was essentially "what do control markers in war-games symbolize"? I also wondered why the mechanic was often implemented as last-man-in.

In case you don't jump over to the thread, I'll summarize a few points below:

Quote:
let's say my opponent has a few units adjacent to the control point, and my units are in full retreat quite a few hexes away, yet I was still the last-man in. Obviously, my units are unable to exert any control in a situation such as this, so what does control really mean?

Quote:
If a zone of control is an abstract mechanism for representing a contested area (perhaps of strategic importance), it doesn't make sense that you can control the zone in the example that I provided above.

To me, the only way you can really control a zone is to exert influence on it be either having a unit directly on the area in question, or having units within firing range and/or LOS.

Perhaps in most systems it's implemented as "last-man in" in order to simplify the mechanic and cut down on rule complexity

Just thought I'd poll a broader audience in order to get more input.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it can denote the leaving behind of a small garrison detachment while the main body of the unit moves through. The garrison is enough to maintain control over the remaining civilian population and perhaps handfuls of enemy stragglers or snipers, but does not have any real combat power to resist an organized enemy attack. The detachment is also small enough that its absence from its parent unit is not sufficient to require using a reduced-strength counter for the parent unit.

This is how I've interpreted control markers in the games I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeThorne
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What it represents seems to me to be a function of how control affects the game. Does it slow the other side's movement? Cut supply lines? Reduce recon capabilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo, your interpretation seems to on a conceptual level rather that physical. I suppose that works if you're working on a higher-level (such as a battalion), but in a squad-level game I would think leaving units behind would certainly affect combat effectiveness.

I haven't played enough war-games to see how the mechanic is implemented in various systems. The only war-games I own are Conflict of Heroes and A Victory Denied, and Memoir '44 in the "wargaming-light" category.

In Memoir '44 you score victory points for having a squad on the control hex itself, whereas in CoH you retain control as long as you were the last man to enter the hex, whether it's occupied or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Soutter
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look, you've got nothing to say and you're saying it too loudly. So...
mbmbmbmbmb
DDeT wrote:
What it represents seems to me to be a function of how control affects the game.

I think that Sean's point is that without a counter in the location, or at least in LOS or range, you aren't actually exerting any "control" over the location.

So, what's the traditional meaning of it in wargames, if it's [clearly] not literal control?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Often, it's just a means of showing who was where last,
for victory purposes. If some key piece of tactical real
estate is in your 'back lines' and not threatened, it doesn't
really matter if you have troops there any longer - it still
indicates you could easily fall back to such a location.

In games where this is the case, it may be possible to
'cheat' the victory conditions by grabbing something that
isn't rightfully 'yours' but then your opponent didn't really
have it secured either. It might represent then the ability
of enemy raiders to disrupt your position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
It might represent then the ability

This.

The existing practice is a shorthand for determining front lines. If yours was the last squad to occupy a location, chances are it's behind your front lines. But this is not always the case, of course. Marking with control markers is a simplified way of determining which locations are safely behind your lines and which are not, without having to go through a painful process of, 'Well, it's sorta behind your lines if you connect these two squads this way, but if you connect them this other way, then it's behind my lines...'

I do think, however, that control is one of the points at which wargames could use a bit of a revolution. As has been pointed out, it's pretty easy to game -- either on the front end (scenario design) or the back end (gameplay). I do seem to remember a number of ASL scenarios where firepower coverage is used instead of last-man-in building control. I.e., you win if you have 24 FP within normal range and LOS of building M4. But I still think there's room for using other innovative methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
calandale wrote:
It might represent then the ability

This.

As part of "All of the above".

As indicated, it's dependent on the scale of the game, the situation, etc. Could be "last to have a man pass through", could represent a garrison, could represent a front line (as in HASL), could be any number of things. Depends on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snorman wrote:
Leo, your interpretation seems to on a conceptual level rather that physical. I suppose that works if you're working on a higher-level (such as a battalion), but in a squad-level game I would think leaving units behind would certainly affect combat effectiveness.

I haven't played enough war-games to see how the mechanic is implemented in various systems. The only war-games I own are Conflict of Heroes and A Victory Denied, and Memoir '44 in the "wargaming-light" category.

In Memoir '44 you score victory points for having a squad on the control hex itself, whereas in CoH you retain control as long as you were the last man to enter the hex, whether it's occupied or not.

A fair and insightful comment on my interpretation of the use of control markers, in that I generally play either operational or strategic scale wargames. I rarely play a game where the basic manuever unit is smaller than a battalion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"Sometimes a 'Control Marker' is JUST a 'Control Marker'!" robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

Or a control "scent" if you happen to be a dog. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
:what: "Sometimes a 'Control Marker' is JUST a 'Control Marker'!" :robot:

In general, when control markers represent the last unit to enter the space, they compensate for the players' inability to remember past board states perfectly--or, at least, to agree on that past board state! They don't simulate anything except perhaps perfect memory.

I think the better framing of the question is, "Why does it matter who was last in the hex?" That will depend on the scale of the game; however, to the extent that war is about seizing territory, that territory has been seized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd've thought that, in a tactical game, control markers maybe just represent 'familiarity' with territory vs. the unknown. My squad might pick its way very carefully into a stand of trees we've never been in/seen before, but if we just came from there, we might head back through more directly and less carefully. So in one sense we 'own' that terrain, even though it may not have intrinsic value for determining victory. I guess this would only apply in games where the control markers have some impact on the movement of enemy units, or allow faster friendly movement along a string of them.

In higher-level simulations, control markers must represent some sort of minor detachment exerting some control over indigenous population, or alliance with locals loyal to whichever side it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

I agree with you in the sense that yes, control markers are whatever the game designers intended them to be. If they want it to be nothing other than a VP-generating mechanism, then so be it.

When I play non-wargames I just accept whatever rule system is presented to me and don't question it because they rarely model real-world behaviours or situations.

However, when I play a war-game I expect a little more since everything is modelled after real objets and designed to simulate (to a certain extent) real events. So, whenever I get into a situation where I think "you scored 4 VPs for what??", especially if the situation breaks immersion, I tend to question it...especially if the expectations aren't quite clear.

Edit: Now that I think of it, maybe I have an issue with the expectations than anything else. If a marker is going to be used for control, then there should be rules that support somewhat realistic control mechanisms...otherwise, might as well just call it what it is...a "scoring marker".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I'd've thought that, in a tactical game, control markers maybe just represent 'familiarity' with territory vs. the unknown. My squad might pick its way very carefully into a stand of trees we've never been in/seen before, but if we just came from there, we might head back through more directly and less carefully. So in one sense we 'own' that terrain, even though it may not have intrinsic value for determining victory.

True; ASL also has "trail break" and "minefield" counters to indicate such things as having traversed "fresh" terrain and having beaten a path through trees, discovered enemy mines, crushed down a hedgerow, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.