Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Line of Departure Magazine... Tell me more about it! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the great thing about our hobby isn't just he games itself, its the community that has grown around it. One of the bricks of our wargaming society is the ever present magazine. I current subscribe to Battles Magazine, S&T & WaW and will subscribe to the upcoming modern war as well. I just can't read enough about my chosen hobby!

Line of Departure has been around for quite sometime but I can't seem to find much information about the quality & contents of the magazine. I can't even find a simple image of the magazine itself!

Can any wise fellow wargamer enlighten me about this magazine? Share your opinions both objective and subjective.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Start here:

http://www.jimwerbaneth.com/lod/

The magazine is amateur, that is, don't expect glossy paper and detailed images, it's home printed.

But the contents are quite remarkable, mainly centred on reviews, with a sprinkle of variants and analysis.It's well written and informative. Lately Jim as been introducing thematic issues on which he covers games from several decades over a theme. The content is not exclusively centred on recently issued games but also covers golden oldies.

There's a section for it in consimworld, Jim is always there to answer any queries.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been subscribing for a few years now and it has been expensive! The reviews tend to be very well written and informative and as a result have convinced me to buy more than a few games that I would have overlooked or had missed.

Well worth it in my opinion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea that he reviews golden oldies. I assume that he mails out a printed copy and not just email me a PDF?

I am going ahead and going to give it a try. I love a good read, its not the glossy that attracts me, its all about content.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
I like the idea that he reviews golden oldies. I assume that he mails out a printed copy and not just email me a PDF?

I am going ahead and going to give it a try. I love a good read, its not the glossy that attracts me, its all about content.


Yep, Jim mails a copy in a manila envelope.

I've always found it a great read, and as Martin said above, there were a lot of games I had never heard about before seing them in there, and found them to be quite good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

I am going ahead and going to give it a try. I love a good read, its not the glossy that attracts me, its all about content.


If you have money to spare, I think the best read in the community is the OOP "Zone of Control" by John Kisner. I guarantee you great read every issues and in fact, it is a kind of serious "journal" in the community. Each issue is jam-packed with insightful, in-depth and lengthy analysis of every game being reviewed. Reading ZOC is the best time in my wargaming life. It might not be too hard to find in the eBay, I guess.

I really wish someone in the community can do the same. The French baked "Battles" magazine is close, but not too close.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Garfink wrote:

I am going ahead and going to give it a try. I love a good read, its not the glossy that attracts me, its all about content.


If you have money to spare, I think the best read in the community is the OOP "Zone of Control" by John Kisner. I guarantee you great read every issues and in fact, it is a kind of serious "journal" in the community. Each issue is jam-packed with insightful, in-depth and lengthy analysis of every game being reviewed. Reading ZOC is the best time in my wargaming life. It might not be too hard to find in the eBay, I guess.

I really wish someone in the community can do the same. The French baked "Battles" magazine is close, but not too close.


I agree with the need for a "journal" and have tried to start one for fellows interested in tactical games - sorry for the self-promotion, but it seems like a good time as any to direct you to this link:

Tactical Wargamer's Journal issues

Issue 2 has just come off the presses, and is available in pdf form. The focus is on tactical, ground-based, 20th Century, so is narrow, but articles are footnoted in scholarly style, as an educational journal would be.

The link to Line of Departure is interesting as I hadn't been aware of it, or it I have been, it passed unnoticed. Werbaneth's name was a regular feature in The General - I believe he did a few articles on minor nation armies and their inclusion in Firepower which still stand out for their quality.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Line of Departure website
http://www.jimwerbaneth.com/online_features/index.html

CSW Folder
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@832.Wt7rchqLIlW.32@.ee6b...

Line of Departure article list
http://www.jimwerbaneth.com/lod/toc.html
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Been subscribing for a few years now and it has been expensive! The reviews tend to be very well written and informative and as a result have convinced me to buy more than a few games that I would have overlooked or had missed.

Well worth it in my opinion.


as a result have convinced me to buy more than a few games that I would have overlooked or had missed.

Would you care to give some examples of this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Werbaneth
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
jmlima wrote:
Start here:

http://www.jimwerbaneth.com/lod/

The magazine is amateur, that is, don't expect glossy paper and detailed images, it's home printed.

But the contents are quite remarkable, mainly centred on reviews, with a sprinkle of variants and analysis.It's well written and informative. Lately Jim as been introducing thematic issues on which he covers games from several decades over a theme. The content is not exclusively centred on recently issued games but also covers golden oldies.

There's a section for it in consimworld, Jim is always there to answer any queries.

As I am now. :)

I'll grant you that Line of Departure is on the plain, photocopied side, and mailed in a brown envelop, but I do try to make the content as first class as I can. Also, one reason that there aren't too many images of the cover is that the cover is probably the least visually impressive part of the magazine. I do use scans and screen caps for the articles and other projects, but the cover has the masthead and table of contents, freeing up a page for actual editorial content, and not a whole lot else.

But if you're curious, here's an image of the front of the recently published issue on Modern Tactics: Land, Air and Sea:



I also publish pages on the current issue on the Online of Departure web site, with both the issue's table of contents, and the Bully Pulpit editorial. Here it is for the new Issue 69:

http://www.jimwerbaneth.com/lod/issue69.html

Now here's the complete list of issues, and the articles therein, all of which remain available:

http://www.jimwerbaneth.com/lod/toc.html

Now, I don't do much on Boardgamegeek, but I will be checking back in here on occasion. I do frequent ConsimWorld though, both the forums and the social networking site. Plus, I can always be contacted at jim_lineofdeparture@hotmail.com.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Jim! It's been a while. We should get together for some Firepower games...

I've actually settled down a while ago and quit moving to a new place every few months. I haven't been really good at keeping in touch, though. modest
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JimWerbaneth wrote:
...
I'll grant you that Line of Departure is on the plain, photocopied side, and mailed in a brown envelop, but I do try to make the content as first class as I can. Also, one reason that there aren't too many images of the cover is that the cover is probably the least visually impressive part of the magazine. ...


Oh, don't misunderstand me, when I said amateur I wasn't meaning it on the bad side of the expression, just meant it was not a glossy magazine like the ones the OP mentioned.

I agree wholeheartedly that the content is absolutely first class!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Garfink wrote:

I am going ahead and going to give it a try. I love a good read, its not the glossy that attracts me, its all about content.


If you have money to spare, I think the best read in the community is the OOP "Zone of Control" by John Kisner. I guarantee you great read every issues and in fact, it is a kind of serious "journal" in the community. Each issue is jam-packed with insightful, in-depth and lengthy analysis of every game being reviewed. Reading ZOC is the best time in my wargaming life. It might not be too hard to find in the eBay, I guess.

I really wish someone in the community can do the same. The French baked "Battles" magazine is close, but not too close.


I have just gone and found all 8 ZOC magazines and bought them, quite cheap. Can't wait... if they aren't any good, I will off load them on you!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

I have just gone and found all 8 ZOC magazines and bought them, quite cheap. Can't wait... if they aren't any good, I will off load them on you!


Money back guarantee from me - I don't mind to have another complete set of it. laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Werbaneth
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Judy,
I've been lousy at keeping in touch too. Keeping busy has been much easier.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Garfink wrote:

I have just gone and found all 8 ZOC magazines and bought them, quite cheap. Can't wait... if they aren't any good, I will off load them on you!


Money back guarantee from me - I don't mind to have another complete set of it. laugh


Great magazines! Love the way they've a separate sequence of play in their reviews, which means that the review itself isn't inundated with game rule examples.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.