Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune is the winning condition and Glory is the currency used to buy things.

Am I the only one who thinks they got this backwards. It gets confusing as hell sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another thread dedicated to this 'problem'. I was not confused when I played and neither of the other two players were bothered by it, although we all noticed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/693306/reversing-fortune...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/675920/why-are-fortune-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this in a recent review, but I thought the reviewer had just made a mistake, so it's interesting to know that's how it's actually designed.

I went to the thread and read the designer's explanation. The logic may not be tortured, but it does seem to have been put in a bit of a mild "stress position."

Whatever. The game still looks fun as hell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time 2 Roll wrote:

Thanks for the thorough and insightful response. That was very helpful.
whistle

Where you lacked in personal comments, I had hoped that the attached threads would shed some light. I gotta say, I still don't see the reasoning.

Glory, is currency? So, if I go to the city and try to buy a rope, that gold I pilfered from the temple is no good. But if I'm famous enough, I can use some of that fame to "purchase" the rope? And now that I've done that, I'm now less famous than I was before the rope purchase? Apparently, the fickle public wants their heroes unequipped. This makes NO sense. And then, just to add in further confusion, buying a plane ticket is used with fortune. At the air port, fame means nothing.

If you're going to not make sense, at least be consistent about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew midgley
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game yesterday evening and kit was a real riot; great fun!
I had been quite worried, when I ordered the game, about the Fortune and Glory issue, though. I agree it didn't seem to make sense ...

... but in the context of the game and the structure of the mechanics it does!

It's like a two tiered reward structure.

Glory is what you get (fairly easily) for overcoming dangers and enemies as you scour the world. Yes, this Glory is used to acquire items and attract allies (as if it were cash), but it wouldn't have made sense to gain money by overcoming a Car Chase or infiltrating a Secret Nazi Base.

Fortune is the victory condition. This is the real money, the wealth you accumulate by selling the artefacts that you hunt down (And boy does the gold plastic of the Fortune coins make them look attractive!) Fortune is what all the players are really after and is therefore more valuable than the Glory.

In the context of the game this two tiered 'money' system works very well. We played for well over two hours, but it didn't feel like it at all; we were having such a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
matthewgeom wrote:
Played the game yesterday evening and kit was a real riot; great fun!
I had been quite worried, when I ordered the game, about the Fortune and Glory issue, though. I agree it didn't seem to make sense ...

... but in the context of the game and the structure of the mechanics it does!

It's like a two tiered reward structure.

Glory is what you get (fairly easily) for overcoming dangers and enemies as you scour the world. Yes, this Glory is used to acquire items and attract allies (as if it were cash), but it wouldn't have made sense to gain money by overcoming a Car Chase or infiltrating a Secret Nazi Base.

Fortune is the victory condition. This is the real money, the wealth you accumulate by selling the artefacts that you hunt down (And boy does the gold plastic of the Fortune coins make them look attractive!) Fortune is what all the players are really after and is therefore more valuable than the Glory.

In the context of the game this two tiered 'money' system works very well. We played for well over two hours, but it didn't feel like it at all; we were having such a blast!

Let me start by saying that I love the theme, and I'll probably buy and enjoy this, so I don't mean this to be as harsh as it sounds.

But everything that you say makes me feel like they had an idea, and instead of working with it until they found a way to have it make sense both in the game and logically, they just took the easy route.

Sure, it will make sense in the game - the rules are designed around the shortcut they took. And I don't have a proposed solution, not having read the rules. But it seems to me that they should have taken some time to work out a way where I'm not buying something from a store with glory. You say it makes no sense for me to get money for overcoming a car chase - the flipside of that is that it doesn't make sense for me to acquire items with a currency I earn from doing the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Time 2 Roll wrote:

whistle

Be fair - he answered your question: "No, you're not the only one who thinks they got this backwards; here are some other people that thought so too."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:
Time 2 Roll wrote:

whistle

Be fair - he answered your question: "No, you're not the only one who thinks they got this backwards; here are some other people that thought so too."
Yes but keep also in mind, the second thread links to not only a similar question, but one answered by Jason Hill, the designer of the game, himself.
specifically: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7108137#7108137

IMO one of the best answers did come from the first link.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7380340#7380340

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:

Apparently, the fickle public wants their heroes unequipped.

Haven't you played almost any video RPG?

"Brave Duke Garland, please save my daughter. Here is 100 gold."

Yay! The king's wealth! With this I'll buy.....1 night at the inn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, while fame will get you favors and friends, you're gonna' need wealth to fight off the nazis. Lots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes the same amount of sense as buying a horse with investigation tokens in A Touch of Evil.

In one of the gen con videos Jack Scott Hill explained their logic behind it and it makes sense in an abstract kind of way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Weber
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think our solution for this works great:

"Don't overthink it, and have fun instead."

Seriously, if this is sticking in folks' craws they have waaay too much free time on their hands. We have yet to run into an issue with it other than the passing 'that's odd'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I had the same problem with Touch of Evil: "Investigation points" appear to be information, favor with the locals, and money, all rolled into one. But at least there you could make the argument that they were making a simplification for game purposes, combining a bunch of things together so you didn't have to have one pile of money, another pile of information points, etc. Here, they seem to have rather arbitrarily switched two things.

Yes, in terms of game mechanics, it works: Overcoming obstacles (enemies, mysteries, etc) results in increasing your abilities to deal with future obstacles, while finding valuable artifacts give you victory points. Overcoming obstacles is not worth victory points in itself, and recovering artifacts doesn't increase your abilities. So I agree, it works as a game, but it doesn't really make sense.

I also thought it odd that in the game you have to successfully fight villains before you can buy something as simple as a pistol or a length of rope. Does the gun shop really demand that you prove that you have killed someone with your bare hands before they will sell you a gun? The hardware store asks if you have escaped from a burning plane just before it crashed before they will sell you a rope? But again, in game terms, it works: overcome easy obstacles and you gain the ability to overcome difficult obstacles.

I think some of these problems could have been solved by just renaming things. Like, instead of simply calling it a "revolver", make it some special revolver, hand-made by a master craftsman or normally only available to members of Her Majesty's Secret Service or something. Then it would, (a) make sense that you can't just walk into a general store and buy one, and (b) money isn't the issue, it's whether they respect you enough to trust you with this piece of hardware. Then assume that all characters have the sort of run-of-the-mill weapons that you can buy anywhere for ... for whatever a cheap handgun cost in 1930, ten bucks or whatever, and that this is factored into the combat ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.