St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAIWAN DEFENSE 2008
US NAVY SHORT CAMPAIGN
DAY 3 of a Three-day campaign
(SECONDARY TARGET)

For a complete description of this campaign , squadron selection and starting missions, please review these links :

DAY 1 : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695395/hornet-leader-short-c...

DAY 2 : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/696042/hornet-leader-short-c...

DAY 3 PRIMARY : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7416753

A U.S. Air Force KC-10 Extender aircraft assigned to the 908th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, supplies fuel for four F/A-18 Hornets

DAY 3 SECONDARY TARGET

*Secondary Target

TARGET : (15) CEMENT FACTORY (Fixed, Overkill: 10+ gain +1VP)
IMPROVEMENT : n/a
STAT : HIT=7 , VP=2 , INFRA=2
AIRCRAFT : 4
SITE (A/C) : 2/3
BANDIT (A/C) : 1/1
CONDITION : RANGE BAND 3 , WEIGHT PENALTY -3 , STRESS 2

*Tactical Display showing Enemies (Bandit enemies spawned at the Target-Bound Phase)

ARMING / WEAPONS LOADOUT :

This is it, the last mission over enemy territory, this time its a far away target, so i need to have Aerial Refueling for my 3 aircraft (3xSO). The target itself is not hard and with just 3 aircraft i am confident i can take this down. I got 2 Super Hornet and 1 Hornet (Shaken) for this mission.

Looking at the defense i cannot suppres my joy upon finding out most of enemy SAM/AAA is only LOW altitude capable and that wont be a threat to my HIGH flying strike group. The only concern is how many bandit will show up once im closing on target.

I use all 7 SO left over for this campaign and all my left over daily free SO (3 SO) for buying weapons and aerial refueling. Weight Point penalty for target 15's Range Band #3 is -3 WP. so i took the Aerial Refueling Option (1 SO per plane in strike group) totaling 3 SO.

For weapons, i use 7xSO to equip my force with :

My Strike group for this target consists of :

- TIGGER (F/A-18C Average) : 3sAIM120 , 3xAGM65, 1xAGM88
- SCOUT (F/A-18C Average) : 2xGBU-16, 2xAIM7, 2xAGM88, 1xAGM65
- RAIDER (F/A-18C Average) : 2xAGM88 , 3xAGM65

Truly RAIDER is just a backup bomber, for getting the overkill bonus on the target. He is shaken with -2 AtG penalty so small chance of success there.. but any AtG weapons helps a bit..

Since all pilot is AVERAGE skill, i designate RAIDER as flight leader since he got 2xSA and as flight leader he can share SA with other pilots. I dont want to use RAIDER's SA on himself as he got SHAKEN penalty.

This is the last day, all 7 SO will be spent on this day and nothing is spared.

Total SO spent for Weapons and Refueling : 10 (3 is free) from 7 SO , that left me 0 SO..

*Pilot Selection and Ordnance Loadout

TARGET-BOUND FLIGHT :

At target-bound flight, I draw a 'AAA vehicles: 2 random attack or spend AtG counters' , i spend 2xAGM88 from RAIDER's hornet to avoid any attack at this stage of combat.

My strike flight approach the target from the southern stand-off area. As i drew closer to the target, radar picked up air to air threats.. I draw 5 Bandit counters and only 2 real bandits showed up. The bandit type and locations are :

- EAST Approach : 1xMIG21
- WEST Approach : n/a
- NORTH Approach : 1xMIG23
- SOUTH Approach : n/a
- CENTER Area : n/a

As i approach the Stand-off Area i drew event card 'BANDITS: draw 2 bandits counters and place in center area' , i draw 2 bandit counters and again i got 2 'NO BANDITS' !! so far so good..

*Tactical Display before TURN#1

OVER-TARGET TURN #1

RAIDER give 1xSA to TIGGER and 1xSA to SCOUT to let them attack before the enemy can attack. Their attack is in sequence as follows:

- TIGGER (+1 AtA) launched 1xAIM120 at MIG21 and HIT (roll 7+1+2)
- TIGGER (+1 AtA) launched 1xAIM120 at MIG23 and HIT (roll 10+1+1)
- SCOUT (+2 AtG) launched 1x AGM88 at 1xSA-11 and HIT (roll 10+2)

No more bandits in the sky, but the remaining 1xSA-11 attack TIGGER and got suppresed by SCOUT's 1xAGM88 (roll of 3+2)

Now its my (SLOW) pilots turn to attack and TIGGER shoot 1xAGM88 at the last SA-11 site and hit it with a roll of 10+1

Since there is no more enemy in range that threaten the strike group, the pilots fly to the south pre-approach area and prepare to salvo mavericks

*Tactical Display before TURN#2

OVER-TARGET TURN #2

Everyone in the strike group launched all their AGM65 mavericks on target in sequence :

- TIGGER (+1 AtG) launch 3xAGM65 and got 2 HITs (roll 10+1), 2 HITs (roll 9+1), Miss (roll 1+1) for total of 4 HITS
- SCOUT (+2 AtG) launch 1xAGM65 and got a miss (roll 4+2)
- RAIDER (-2 AtG) launch 3xAGM65 and got miss (roll 6-2), miss (roll 3-2), miss (roll 2-2)

I still need 6 more hits to get the bonus +1 VP, i still got 2xGBU16 and to launch this weapon i need to fly closer (range:1)

*Tactical Display before TURN#3

OVER-TARGET TURN #3

SCOUT with his +2 AtG skill launched his 2xGBU-16 and got :
- 1xGBU-16 for 2 Hits (Roll 2+2)
- 1xGBU-16 for 4 Hits (Roll 9+2)

Thats a total of 10 HITS on target !! just barely got the overkill bonus !!

*Tactical Display showing final Hits on target

HOME-BOUND EVENT:

At Home-bound Event i drew a 'BAD WEATHER: +1 stress to all pilots flying this mission'. I will use the -1 stress bonus from the primary mission event card to cancel this card..

* from LEFT to RIGHT : Target-Bound Event, Over Target Event, Home-Bound Event

DEBRIEFING :

- Everyone got 2 XP and 2 Stress for this mission
- I got 3 VP for this mission and 2 Infra

TOTAL CAMPAIGN VP : 12 (RATING : GREAT)

MISSION LOG :

*Mission Log using Dan Verssen's HL-CAO log sheet

LESSON LEARNED / FOOTNOTES :

Thats Wrap up this all-hornet campaign and it is always a pleasure to use big-deck carrier strike group with its E2C asset instead of going NOE with harriers.. then again i want to fly an all-harrier mission to see if it can be done successfully.. if i recall correctly, if i use 8xAV8B Harriers (for short campaign), i get additional +2 SO for each harrier , or +6 SO per harrier for long campaign.. thats an awesome SO modifier.. i can buy all the smart weapons i want with that even if i have to fly LOW NOE =D

So now its time to stop putting all this Mistake-Prone AAR sessions/battlereport on BGG forum, i think my enthusiasm for this game already got the best of me and i may be annoying people by hogging the SESSION forum with my posts..

Thats all friends, thanks for watching and all the THUMBs !!

*My computer desktop wallpaper at my last mission, a fitting wallpaper for playing HORNET LEADER

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
So now its time to stop putting all this Mistake-Prone AAR sessions/battlereport on BGG forum, i think my enthusiasm for this game already got the best of me and i may be annoying people by hogging the SESSION forum with my posts.

Absolutely not. They've been great - and useful - to read. This one, for example, reminded me that pilots who spend SA can attack in BOTH the Fast and Slow phases. I'd forgotten that rule, so was making things unnecessarily tough for myself last week when I played a few more days in a campaign I'd started a few months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that, but I can't afford the game yet as I sorta promised my nieces I'd get Fortune and Glory.

I'm starting simple with Corsair Leader for now.

So, until such time as I can afford CAO, I live vicariously through you and others. Bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
G'day dprijadi,

The pleasure is all ours.

Very enjoyable AAR's.

The thing that has impressed me most is the picture of your neat and tidy desk/game setup. Puts mine to shame.

Cheers,
Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all =D

Glad you all enjoy this AAR ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:

So, until such time as I can afford CAO, I live vicariously through you and others. Bring it on!

dont encourage me lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plugger wrote:
G'day dprijadi,

The pleasure is all ours.

Very enjoyable AAR's.

The thing that has impressed me most is the picture of your neat and tidy desk/game setup. Puts mine to shame.

Cheers,
Cameron

its a working table converted to a gaming table.. no work done lol

btw i heard australian air force got superhornets to replace the old warhorse F111 =D Grats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
pilots who spend SA can attack in BOTH the Fast and Slow phases. I'd forgotten that rule, so was making things unnecessarily tough for myself last week when I played a few more days in a campaign I'd started a few months ago.

thats why i am wondering, im depending too much on SA to kill dangerous enemies at the 1st turn.. but what if im playing phantom leader.. they dont have SA.. will i get creamed at turn 1 playing Phantom Leader ? lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.