Lost Battles» Forums » General

Subject: The game has arrived! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
I just received my first copies of the board game. It looks even better than I had hoped. The box is 12" x 10.5" by 3" and weighs 3.5kg including the custom made outer box which we are using for shipping. The tiles are packed in two stacks of 25, held together with rubber bands, and balanced by the book in the other half of the box. The Empire game board opens out concertina fashion to a strip of four mounted A4 panels. The seven countersheets look really great, and
the rules booklet is just superb with its dozens of full colour illustrations including mini-maps of all 36 battles using the actual game components. The length is a bit intimidating at first, but once you realise that so much of it consists of examples and scenarios, the trepidation soon wears off. It knocks the rules in Appendix 1 of the paperback into a cocked hat.

What really pleases me after initial experimentation with the components is that our modular approach has paid off after all. The 20 square tiles fit together snugly and show little tendency to drift (especially when placed on a cloth rather than a polished tabletop). I suggest in the rules that readers might like to construct a frame to keep the tiles together, but in practice this is quite unnecessary. Not only that, but the countersheets offer an option which is present in few if any other boardgames. I punched out several of the beautifully rounded counters and tried them out on the tiles. I then decided to
put them back into their individual holes in the countersheet. They fitted in so snugly thanks to the thick card that they were perfectly secure. Since only a few dozen counters are needed for any individual scenario, many of you may actually prefer to keep the countersheets themselves as storage devices instead of using the eight ziploc bags provided, thereby allowing you to find the units and generals you need at a glance and to keep the game almost in unpunched condition despite playing it regularly. Talk about having your cake and eating it!

We are now completing and printing the labels for the first wave of a few hundred copies to be sent off on Monday as promised. As I said in a previous message, if you placed your order after April, you will probably have to wait until the rest of the games arrive, but your order will be shipped on Monday 19th thanks to the packers working over the weekends to make up the lost time. The games should reach most destinations just a few days after despatch.

We still have lots of work ahead in the immediate future to get the orders out, but it feels so good to have reached this stage. If you haven't yet ordered a copy, I should warn you that only around 15% of our print run remains unspoken for and orders are still coming in thick and fast, so I really advise you not to wait any longer. If you come to the Colours show tomorrow to see or take part in our massive refight of Kadesh, you will be able to see the boardgame in all its glory, and if you go straight away to the Caliver stand, you may even be able to buy one of the first copies before they are all snapped up.

Thanks again for all your help in getting us to this happy conclusion. Now we can at last enjoy the fruits of our labours!

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news Philip! I will wit patiently for my copy to arrive from Noble Knight. It will be just in time to start the long cold season here in Michigan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Fantastic news Phil - it sounds totally amazing... really cannot wait for my copy to arrive !!

Thanks again for the update !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pics or it didn't happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic Phil, I am so glad I actually placed my order. Looking forward to playing this soon. Great description of what we are getting in the box.

I must say, I have never seen a game sell so fast as you say only 15% of your print run left.

Can't wait till the 19th when my copy should hopefully ship (ordered direct from FC Games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Delightful to hear. If you, the designer, are so pleased with the production, we will certainly be equally happy with it.

Hoping for cooperative Atlantic hurricanes that will not interfere with trans-Atlantic shipment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news Phil!

We celebrate your accomplishment in making this feat come true, and appreciate that there are adventurers like you in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your efforts, Phil. I'm looking forward to the arrival of my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Myers
United States
Spring Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hail Sabin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news Phil! Can't wait to play this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip,
For those of us in North American who have ordered the game through Noble Knights, do you have an estimate of when NK will receive it? This might give us an idea of when we might see it here through NK.

And thank you.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Avila
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go with god, and fight like the devil
mbmbmbmbmb
rgmyers wrote:
Hail Sabin!
..We, who are about to play, salute you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Noble Knight customers should receive their copy in late October sometime.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:

Phil

Thank you, Philip, for the quick follow-up.

As is, I won't get to pick at it until December 25th, as it is a Christmas present. But it is nice to when it can be placed under the tree.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:

Phil

All paid for, just waiting for it to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:
We are now completing and printing the labels for the first wave of a few hundred copies to be sent off on Monday as promised. As I said in a previous message, if you placed your order after April, you will probably have to wait until the rest of the games arrive, but your order will be shipped on Monday 19th thanks to the packers working over the weekends to make up the lost time. The games should reach most destinations just a few days after despatch.

I ordered in May so it looks like I've a week and a bit to wait. Too bad there isn't a kindle version of the book available else I'd be able to get some instant gratification - with a paperback included in the game I can't really justify another hard copy. Or can I??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Yesterday was a really hectic day as we shipped the first wave of board games. Completing all the labels and customs documentation was a massive job, and Alex and I only just finished in time for the Parcelforce collection. We managed to ship the games for almost all the individual orders placed up to mid-April before running out of the initial copies. Those of you in this category should expect to receive your games later this week. We will be shipping the outstanding individual orders next Monday, once the rest of the components arrive.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jones
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mine just arrived here in Cardiff. It's jaw dropping. The weight is the first thing that hits you and then you open the box and wow. Just wow. Everything looks amazing, I'd even suggest the pics on here almost don't do justice. Well worth the wait, and well worth the money. Thank you Phil, Mark and 5th Column Games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:
Yesterday was a really hectic day as we shipped the first wave of board games. Completing all the labels and customs documentation was a massive job, and Alex and I only just finished in time for the Parcelforce collection. We managed to ship the games for almost all the individual orders placed up to mid-April before running out of the initial copies. Those of you in this category should expect to receive your games later this week. We will be shipping the outstanding individual orders next Monday, once the rest of the components arrive.

Phil

Thank you for doing such hard work. The game arrived today and I really like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Re: The game has arrived!
OK, Good and Bad.

The game arrived today in Ottawa, Ontario and the game looks fantastic!

Very, very good quality components.

The BAD is that my copy is severely damaged and arrived in a box that was wet and clearly damaged. All of the components except the counters have all been damaged or have a 'wet smell' to them.

I'm hoping Fifth Column will be able to rectify this but I don't see anything on their website to contact them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy arrived in the Washington DC area today. It had a lucky crossing, suffering only a very slight ding on a bit of box edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... Mine just arrived, and the box plus package, were VERY damp and the contents water-damaged. It seems I am not the only one with that problem...

The game box came apart and is a complete loss, the coutners are damaged too, as are the maps. I don't know if I will be able to salvage the lot. Will try to dry everything this week-end. Most of everything was crushed a bit since the box is REALLY HEAVY and with little protection so must have fallen in transit, thus the damage.

I will not ask for a replacement, I don't have the time for all the fuss. Anyway my requests to this company were never fulfilled before so I am a bit leery.

Very dissapointing. i was really looking forward to this product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xlegion wrote:
OK, Good and Bad.

The game arrived today in Ottawa, Ontario and the game looks fantastic!

Very, very good quality components.

The BAD is that my copy is severely damaged and arrived in a box that was wet and clearly damaged. All of the components except the counters have all been damaged or have a 'wet smell' to them.

I'm hoping Fifth Column will be able to rectify this but I don't see anything on their website to contact them.

Hey1 I just posted that I had the same problem! Might it be that the "container" with the games sent to Canada got wet? soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markeajones wrote:
Mine just arrived here in Cardiff. It's jaw dropping. The weight is the first thing that hits you and then you open the box and wow. Just wow. Everything looks amazing, I'd even suggest the pics on here almost don't do justice. Well worth the wait, and well worth the money. Thank you Phil, Mark and 5th Column Games!

Seconded! thumbsup
I picked up my copy of Lost Battles this afternoon, after having returned early from working away, and the box having been waiting for me to collect from the Post Office since Wednesday!

Having eagerly opened the box and examined the contents, I have to say that the complete package is absolutely stunning! Everything, including the box, the book, rulebook, Empire map, terrain tiles, and countersheets, are all fantastic quality and professionally produced.

I feel very privileged to own a copy of the game.

Now, as a complete newcomer to Lost Battles (but not Empire, as I obtained that from SoA earlier in the year), I face a lot of reading of the rules and the Lost Battles book, and look forward, eventually, to my first game. Thank you, Professor Sabin and team!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jimenez
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Game arrived in San Francisco today. Internal contents look good, but box is dented and has a fully split corner. Part of this s due to the packaging - it's just the game box contained in a box that just fits the game box snugly. No padding or wrapping of any sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.