Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last game as British I decided that I done the take Port Royal and onwards thing in my previous game and it was time to try something else. (I'm a player who like to try new things even when the old things work.)

Fortunately my opening hand agreed with my plan, so turn one I take Albany, and then I get off at a fairly fast rate towards Oswego. Meanwhile my French opponent also decided he wanted Albany and set off for it himself. I fortified Pemaquid, and built up a decent sized military strength, but actually only used it defensively at Albany, which held, and Osewgo, which eventually fell to a raid, cutting off my locations on Lake Ontario. Wouldn't have been a problem as by now I'd nearly linked them back in via Fort Duquesne.

In the meanwhile I'd done quite well on building up my victory points by promotion and some settlement (Richmond, Baltimore, Deerfield). It's one of those odd things that sometimes the main motivation for a settlement or an upgrade is not the victory points (though those come in handy) but the opportunity to use the cards. While I'd governored away quite a bit of tat, I still had a slightly fatter deck than I prefer. Unfortunately we had to stop the game not quite finished, but as my opponent agreed, there was no way it going anywhere but a British victory, it was just a question of by how much. I even had the cards in hand to resettle Oswego.

What's the point of all that? Well, first, to note that there are other approaches than Port Royal. However again I think the French needed a better plan, or at least to adapt once he saw what I was doing. (He fortified Port Royal successfully - but I had no interest in going that way. I fortified Albany where he was interested in going that way.) What that French plan might be I'm not sure, so far my only win as French was against a player on his first game. I have some ideas, but as anyone I'm likely to play may be reading this, no hints.

And the immersive nature of the game is shown by one thing. I wrote all that without consulting the map at all. Most games I'd be saying, for example, "that place at the head of the lake near the French start position" rather than "Fort Frontenac". (There is one spelling above I hope I have right.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My most recent game - last night - saw the French win by upgrading all their villages to towns and running out of discs. They bought one Settler.

As the British, I had Canso, Halifax, Albany and Fort Dusquene but was nowhere near in points.

The more I play this game, the more I realize there are more paths to victory than first apparent.

The British "settle" strategy or Port Royale strategy can work but can also fail - great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.