Subject: Trade = AWESOME rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Coffman
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Just found the propose trade button, it is AWESOME! Now I can thin out the games I don't use much for games I will. And my games still go to loving homes will they will get used, excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Have you also found the custom trade search?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, wait until he clicks that button a dozen times and gets one reply if he's lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Math Trades are even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trade button is cool but Math Trades are way more fun and will get you a lot more trades in the long run. Don't just go proposing trades. First geekmail the the person you want to trade with to see if there is interest on their part. The Trade Proposal system is generally used to make it official after a trade is agreed upon via geekmail. There are lots of threads around here about trade etiquette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep reading about Math trades and I've been trading at BGG for about 4-5 years and don't know what a math trade is. What are Math trades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davex wrote:
The trade button is cool but Math Trades are way more fun and will get you a lot more trades in the long run.

True. But if you can find a local direct trade, that can be even better.

Quote:
Don't just go proposing trades. First geekmail the the person you want to trade with to see if there is interest on their part. The Trade Proposal system is generally used to make it official after a trade is agreed upon via geekmail. There are lots of threads around here about trade etiquette.

Huh. I've been on BGG for a year, and that's the first mention I've seen saying you ought to send geekmail before proposing a trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizalou wrote:
I keep reading about Math trades and I've been trading at BGG for about 4-5 years and don't know what a math trade is. What are Math trades?

Basically it's a way to chain trades together. There's one ending tonight that so far lists over 700 items being traded within a large group of people. A simple example is Person 1 has A, person 2 has B and person 3 has C. None want a direct trade but all want an item so Person 1 give A to Person 2 who gives B to Person 3 who then give C to Person A.

Two great resources:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/287152/math-trades-for-d...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/568078/math-trade-video-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Heh, wait until he clicks that button a dozen times and gets one reply if he's lucky.

It seems like I've been feeling that burn a lot lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually had very good luck trading (and I haven't ventured into the mystical world of math trades, yet)...I'd highly recommend working out the trade through geekmail first...then using the trade proposal to make you final negotiation official. "Cold call" trade requests do seem to result in dead air. Also...to improve your chances...look for the people who are actually doing lots of trades...they're more likely to accept as well. (although you have to establish a positive trading reputation...so getting off the ground will take a little work...you may have to ship first...or something like that) Just depends who you're dealing with and how skeptical they are.... Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did my first math trade, face to face at Origins this year. Highly recommended, but definitely do the research first. I was confused about what was actually going on for a while...

The other great thing about trades is that you can spend money on new games a little less guiltily. If the game doesn't get played, or gets a little used, or just doesn't end up being your thing, you don't exactly lose as much money. You can just put it up for trade and see if you can get something out of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Math trades help a *bunch* with those trade ratings too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.