Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apparently missed the boat on the kickstarter project

I read somewhere that you're planning on making it commercially available, and I want you to take my money. I've always been interested in GTR, but the packaging and art/color turned me off in a big way (I know! I'm shallow!) and this new edition is gorgeous. The only roadblock to me playing now is availability.

I know the kickstarter project JUST ended, but is there any info on a proper release date? I NEED to preorder a copy. Need.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our intention is to launch the black box edition at Spiel in Essen, so around the 20th October. I imagine it will be on sale in shops at some point during November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Wake wrote:
Our intention is to launch the black box edition at Spiel in Essen, so around the 20th October. I imagine it will be on sale in shops at some point during November.

Does that mean that KS copies will be arriving at those same stores or shipped to our homes at some point during November?

I'll ROFL then cry if this beats Eminent Domain to my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brehob
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of related questions.
A) do we have any idea what game stores have agreed to participate? Mine doesn't seem to have heard anything yet.
B) Shouldn't the kickstarter folks be getting theirs before it's generally available? Not such a big deal, but mildly annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Davis
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobit wrote:
A) do we have any idea what game stores have agreed to participate? Mine doesn't seem to have heard anything yet.
B) Shouldn't the kickstarter folks be getting theirs before it's generally available? Not such a big deal, but mildly annoying.

In answer to your question "B", I believe that only people who supported at levels that included advanced shipping will be getting their copies before general release, but all Kickstarter supporters will be getting whatever amount of "loot" that they personally qualified for and those items will not be included with the general release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the thing with kickstarter should not be "hey where's my stuff, and why do some other people get it before me."

it should be.

"without me and my kickstarter pledge and the pledges of others, this game would not have seen the light of day."
because of you now many many people will try this game that may not have otherwise.

it's something to feel good about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobit wrote:

AFAIK....

A) I simply asked my FLGS if they'd be OK with with receiving my GtR kickstarter for me and also gave them a heads up if they wanted to get in on copies of GtR without having minimum shipping costs.

B) As mentioned, those who opted to have their GtR shipped via airplane vs. boat will get them quite early. I'm under the impression that the rest of the ks folks will still be getting them before the non-ks public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brehob
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:

it's something to feel good about.

Fair enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wake wrote:

Will CGF be selling the black box edition on their website?

Will online game stores like boards and bits, games surplus, cool stuff inc, etc. (I know some of them are both brick and mortar and online) be able to sell the black box edition online if they choose?

I am in the category of those who would have supported the kick starter if they had known but I am also happy to pick up a copy if CGF prints more than the exact amount needed to fulfill the kick starter orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wakefield Morys-Carter
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:

Will online game stores like boards and bits, games surplus, cool stuff inc, etc. (I know some of them are both brick and mortar and online) be able to sell the black box edition online if they choose?

I am in the category of those who would have supported the kick starter if they had known but I am also happy to pick up a copy if CGF prints more than the exact amount needed to fulfill the kick starter orders.

CGF won't be selling the black box edition on our website (at least not in the immediate future) but are printing more than just the copies ordered through kickstarter so that stores can sell them (whether online or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wake wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:

CGF won't be selling the black box edition on our website (at least not in the immediate future) but are printing more than just the copies ordered through kickstarter so that stores can sell them (whether online or not).

Super excellent! Thanks Wake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Rome Demands.... [Black Box] micro-badges!! Oh the suspense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan Lovelock
France
Tours
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great new design, Great new color, brief you'll understand that I love this new release.

Like other I missed the beginning of the kickstarter project

I just hope one day to purchase in a store (where? which? when?) or from another person in a sale.

This will be painful to wait.

In any case, congratulations Mr Heiko Günther, you have talent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add myself to the list of those who absolutely will preorder the new edition as soon as it becomes available (on coolstuff for me; they've treated me well). I missed the Kickstarter and would be very disappointed to miss out on getting a copy from a limited print run, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Morgan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
I'll add myself to the list of those who absolutely will preorder the new edition as soon as it becomes available...

Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Q:When I say "lawyer" what pops into your head? A:Someone who designs games about penguins." - Dormammu
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Wake wrote:

Does that mean that KS copies will be arriving at those same stores or shipped to our homes at some point during November?

I'll ROFL then cry if this beats Eminent Domain to my house.
So the current plan, I believe, is for Heiko, Ed, and myself to meet up in Shanghai the first week of October, do quality control on the finished games at the game factory, then airship out some copies to hand out to Kickstarter supporters at Essen and some more for KS supporters at BGG.con. At least I got me a ticket from Seattle to Shanghai, so I'm hoping those guys'll show, or there be some 'splaining to do

I think on top of a few hundred airshipped copies of the games, the rest will arrive by this means of transport, more or less (so it could take a few more weeks, or maybe a few more than that):

Working with Ed is like playing with Peyton Manning - he's always calling audibles based on stuff he sees that no else sees. I try to pay attention to the plays and the audibles, but often I just start running on the snap and hope I get open, or at least don't get in his way.

For those of you who don't follow American football, my apologies. Basically, it feels like CGF is going from 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds. In Shanghai, on top of Black Box, we're also planning to release Quills, Pala, and Montana, print more copies of Barons, and get it all out to you nice folks in a somewhat timely manner. There are about 632 things that could go wrong over the next few weeks, but hopefully it'll happen just like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you for the quick update. I wonder if you'll send them from Shanghai? I hope so cause I'm in Taiwan and it shouldn't take long to get here.(even on those 15 century ships)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
[q="darthnice"][q="Wake"]
I think on top of a few hundred airshipped copies of the games, the rest will arrive by this means of transport, more or less (so it could take a few more weeks, or maybe a few more than that):

Will those who paid for Concrete fast shipping be included in that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher, looking at the games you mention, Heiko is listed as the graphic designer of at least two of them. Will all new CGF games feature Heiko's art? (Will Barons get his art?) I am so excited to hear this, if so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Q:When I say "lawyer" what pops into your head? A:Someone who designs games about penguins." - Dormammu
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Christopher, looking at the games you mention, Heiko is listed as the graphic designer of at least two of them. Will all new CGF games feature Heiko's art? (Will Barons get his art?) I am so excited to hear this, if so...
My understanding is that Heiko is now in charge of all art and graphic design on all games. Some games, like Montana, will use his art. Some games, like Pala, will use another artist, and have Heiko finalize graphic design. I think it's really the best of both worlds, because it allows CGF to work with a number of artists, but keep strict quality control in safe hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lacota wrote:
topherr wrote:
darthnice wrote:
Wake wrote:

Will those who paid for Concrete fast shipping be included in that?

Well, it does actually say "Advanced shipping of Black Box Edition" so I think it sure ought to!

I'm actually just in charge of Essen logistics (i.e., actually getting the games to Essen that we say we're releasing at Essen) for the moment, but I should know more about the Black Box logistics within the next week or so.

As soon as I know more specifics, I'll happily share them. Feel free and ask me questions in the GTR forums, or just geekmail me and I'll do my best to properly respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Symington
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a missed-the-Kickstarter-boat guy. How will we know when we can pre-order the black box edition online? Will we just have to check Thoughthammer, CoolStuff, etc., on a daily basis? My FLGS is not aware of any way to get the black box version in the brick-and-mortar store, and I don't want to miss out again!

ps - Is there something I can give or say to my FLGS that will help them get copies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpsymington wrote:
I am also a missed-the-Kickstarter-boat guy. How will we know when we can pre-order the black box edition online? Will we just have to check Thoughthammer, CoolStuff, etc., on a daily basis? My FLGS is not aware of any way to get the black box version in the brick-and-mortar store, and I don't want to miss out again!

ps - Is there something I can give or say to my FLGS that will help them get copies?
My understanding is that stores that are accepting BB games for Kickstarter supporters will be offered a few games for sale as well. But again, the games are not even printed yet. First we've got to see the printed games, then we have to make sure they pass quality control, then we have to make sure to get them to our Kickstarter supporters in a reasonable time frame (including international shipping, customs, making sure all the right goodies go into the right boxes, and other hurdles), then we have to get some copies to conventions, and copies to stores all over the world.

It's really important to us that we 1) produce a high quality product that people will love, 2) take care of our Kickstarter supporters above all else, and 3) don't over-promise. I can assure you that we're looking into wider distribution, but only after we take care of the essentials first. I'll know a bunch more in a couple of weeks after I get to Shanghai, and I'll let you all know as soon as I can....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure a few people will also probably be selling their Kickstarter'ed versions on BGG or eBay before they're shipped to stores, so, well, for better or worse, there's that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
My understanding is that stores that are accepting BB games for Kickstarter supporters will be offered a few games for sale as well.

Wait, what? That doesn't imply that stores that AREN'T handling kickstarter copies WON'T be receiving games for sale, does it? If that's the case, I'm pretty much S.O.L. My FLGS has carried CGF games for a long time (so I was hoping I could pre-order through them), but the odds of someone in my town a) having contributed to the kickstarter and b) having it sent to that store are beyond minimal.

I understand your priorities (it's pretty hard to find fault with them) but with how quickly you met your kickstarter target and how far over your target you went, you'd think that a "wider distribution" may have been considered earlier

I'm sorry if I sound critical (I'm not trying to be, I know you guys are working hard to make people happy), it's just that from the time I saw this version I got really excited. It's at the top of my wishlist but it's looking more and more like it won't happen (at least until such a time that you decide to carry it as a regular product, I guess). I guess it's time to give up on the FLGS route and start hitting refresh on coolstuffinc.com...

I hate ultra-limited print runs soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.