Subject: Twilight Imperium & Expansions input needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm about to take the plunge into TI3 and now I cast my eyes upon its two expansions. Each one costing about the same as another whole boardgame, I find myself wanting to know more about them.

Are they essential(fixes for bad design mechanics and so on Examples:BSG(pegasus expansion with fixed cards, Kingsburg:combat strength as a token instead of randomdie)

Are they optional but awesome? (innovation's echos of time, the 'jobs' from Kingsburg expansion fall under this category)

or are they simply extra stuff that's entirely take it or leave it?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shattered Empire expansion is one of those hotchpotch expansions of optional elements; however, you definitely need to fix the strategy cards from the base game, and although you don't necessarily need the replacement in this expansion, be careful which suggestions you follow for alternate fixes.

The other expansion, Shards of the Throne, I don't own; but it looks like something I could take or leave, so I am personally undecided.

The base game itself has been the subject of much discussion; apart from the discomfort most players have with the basic Imperial strategy card, there have been other suggestions about which political cards to allow in the game, amongst other variants, to encourage more balanced play.

Unfortunately, you'll have to trawl through the forums for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both expansions basically enhance or expand the base game. There is very little, other than the new Imperial Strategy card in the Shattered Empire expansion, that I see as constituting a fix per se.

The Shattered Empire expansion contains additional objectives, action cards and political cards that make the game more conflict oriented. It also adds new options, such as shock troops, artifacts, and mines that may or may not make the game better depending on your view point. I feel the most important features this expansion brings are the new set of strategy cards, which many view as better, and the extra tiles and playing pieces that allow you to add a 7th and 8th player. Be aware that playing with this number will lengthen the game, and should be undertaken with caution if most players are new. I view this expansion as a must if you expect to play this game more than once or twice.

The Shards of the Throne brings yet again more stuff into the game: three new races, new technology, a new political system and some new units: capital ships, mechanized units and mercenaries. In my opinion it is only for aficionados who know and love the game and are looking for more.

Good luck, this is a great game. The easy part is buying it. The hard part is getting it to the table with any regularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are optional, and not needed for now IMO. My advice would be play the base game as is (with Imperial I) for the first game. It is not the best, but it will make the game go a little easier and faster. Then start using Imperial II (which you can find all over the geek so no need to buy for just that) and possibly Tech II (if you want more tech).

I also highly recommend that you and your buddies read the rules and work through the tutorial (http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/3-player/h...) before playing, and at least print a good tech tree. Those will make the game go much faster.

Also before you buy, you might want to at least look at StarCraft: The Board Game if you haven't. It is a good bit different from TI3, but I have found that sometimes it is more of what people wanted TI3 to be (ie. less politics, more fighting). Might not be your cup of tea, but something to take a look at before spending a lot of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹɹǝʞ uɐɥʇɐu
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played TI3 multiple times without any expansions and with Shattered Empire.

A lot of people will say that SE is necessary because it "fixes" the strategy card "Imperial".

I've played TI3 with it and without it and I have to say that it's very underrated as an action. It acts like a timer for the game, which helps the play length.

Now, with that said, SE introduces some awesome options that make a great game even better.

We just got Shards of the Throne and haven't tried it yet but it looks awesome as well.

TL;DR - Play it "vanilla" to get a feeling for it and then look to the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.