Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game of this tonight and had the following question:

If glory is the "spending" tokens for items/allies etc why does it cost 2/3 Fortune to fly between cities (page 19). This seems to go against the rest of the game to me and I can't really see much use in giving up victory points to move to a city...but maybe I've just not played it enough.

Does anyone know if this is an error in the rulebook or anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just guessing here that Airlines are not charitable organizations and so it takes hard currency to fly on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Just guessing here that Airlines are not charitable organizations and so it takes hard currency to fly on one.

Fortune (the gold coins) is not currency, its victory points. Glory (the blue coins) is currency. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's my problem - I don't see why it should cost victory points rather than currency to use the planes...I must be missing something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe flying is powerful enough that there had to be a balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Maybe flying is powerful enough that there had to be a balance?

Bingo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew midgley
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game I would guess that Flying between cities costs Fortune because towards the mid/end game there are situations and cards which would benefit the player;

- There are cards which require the player to deliver a package to a specific city - with a reward of Fortune.
- Yesterday I gained a card which allowed me to steal an Artefact from another player when I was on the same space (especially sweet as the other player had battled against Vanessa Love and 5 Dangers, and the Artefact was worth 8 Fortune!)

Using Fortune to gain more Fortune in a quicker way would be very useful, but as with the push-your-luck mechanic of the Dangers adds another dimension of risk to the game. By mid/end game a player might have quite a bit of Glory, but their Fortune may nearly have reached the 15 Fortune needed to reach the game.

In the context of the two tiered money system of the game I feel it makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking that one reason Fortune is so restricted is that this takes place during the 1930's. Moving money around the world wasn't so easy back then, so getting help would require a different kind of currency (i.e. Glory). Plus, if we use Indiana Jones as a template, I don't think he actually got a cent for any of the artifacts he found and brought back to base. His cash flow was all based on reputation and a professor's salary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Note as well that Jake Zane's character ability is that he can spend glory instead of fortune to fly (he's a pilot). So it's certainly not an error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.