Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to assume that the number of cards held by a player is public information in any game, but can someone confirm whether or not it is intended to be public in Sekigahara? I scanned the rules and didn't find a mention of it. The reason I ask is that I'm playing an email game via Vassal with another player, and it doesn't seem like Vassal provides any way for me to see the number of cards my opponent holds, which is somewhat important in a few cases. Before I ask my opponent to clarify the count, I wanted to ensure this is supposed to be open information.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
EXCELLENT question! Because if you're fighting a Battle and I hold a Loyalty Card - and I then know that you're down to your last card when you put down a block; then I'm going to play Loyalty! For that last block will be mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of cards in hand is public, yes. The back of cards, like the back of blocks, I thought impractical to conceal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea:

Maybe if the attacker faces a Loyalty challenge on the play of his last card, a card can be drawn from the deck. If it matches the mon played the Loyalty Challenge fails. The card is then discarded and is not counted when replenishing hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
mcalkins wrote:
Number of cards in hand is public, yes. The back of cards, like the back of blocks, I thought impractical to conceal.

Thanks, Matt. I expected as much, but before emailing an opponent to ask for the card count, I wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
An idea:

Maybe if the attacker faces a Loyalty challenge on the play of his last card, a card can be drawn from the deck. If it matches the mon played the Loyalty Challenge fails. The card is then discarded and is not counted when replenishing hands.

Not needed. You just have to keep this in mind before playing your last card.

This is not likely to occur, as your hand would have to be perfectly matched to your army, or your army so large it would be unwieldy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Allen, if the enemy hasn't yet beaten me with Impact or is a couple of Impact away from taking another block of mine and he has one block left and one last card, I'm going to wait to play Loyalty for that deployment, it's a no brainer.

Haven't you been in a Battle where your last block n' card were needed to win the day?

I noticed this aspect of the game on day 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
mcalkins wrote:

how about vassal? the size of the hand is invisible to the opponent there. Should I disclose the hand size if asked?

EDIT: I found the button in vassal that shows the hand size...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.