Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really expect anyone who knows the answer to this question to answer - but hey what the heck - nothing ventured nothing gained.

So how about it? Is this game selling well enough that we should expect expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be intended as a standalone game. Depends on if Hasbro had the same tight leash on WOTC on this as they did for Gamma World. But in GWs case they had the expansions announced and out very fast indeed.

In Galaxies case though theres no mention so far of expansion packs. So this could go either way really. But if they were planning expansions then news should be out soon. If theres no word after the games on the shelves a month then dont get your hopes up. Moreso if the movie bombs.

Its a bit too early to tell yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Wait to see how the movie does and you will likely have a good idea of whether to expect expansions or not.

Then again, they may release an expansion to hype the movie, who knows? I have seen "merchandising" done for movies that tanked and the product is still sitting on the shelves of discount stores (Golden Compass for one). So, you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have there been any TV advertisements for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game for the hobby market. Since it's not going in the big box stores, I strongly doubt that they're planning movie tie-ins and TV commercials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He was of course referring to the upcoming battleship movie based on the original game fwiw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
He was of course referring to the upcoming battleship movie based on the original game fwiw

Yes, but I'm not sure how that ties into expansion plans for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battleship movie features aliens. So there is small possibility of it somehow tying in to Galaxies. Though I'd expect it at best to be some sort of bridger or more likely a foreshadowing of the events in Galaxies if they did connect the two.

I'm not so sure this is a "hobby" game as it looks to be slated for standard marketing rather than only game shops and the like. I didn't expect an advertisement gig. But anythings possible. Hasbro has done it for weirder games before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
I'm not so sure this is a "hobby" game as it looks to be slated for standard marketing rather than only game shops and the like. I didn't expect an advertisement gig. But anythings possible. Hasbro has done it for weirder games before.

It's been stated multiple times by those in the know that it's a hobby release and won't be showing up at your local Walmart and Target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are ships, like squads, that seem to have the ability to get upgrade cards, but there are no cards for them. With this alone, I'm almost positive they have plans for an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

Considering all the hype and excitement leading up to the its release, the game doesn't seem to have set the world on fire the way I was expecting. It seems critical that they at least announce expansions soon if this game's going to go anywhere, especially with FFG's Star Wars X Wing game coming out next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget Star Trek: Fleet Captains is going to also be a tough competitor for this game.

Great times for gamers (maybe even a new golden age) but I wouldn't want to be a publisher!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regina Harris
United States
Maylene
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if either of those games (Fleet Captains and X-Wing) would really be a competitor for this game. X-Wing seems alot more like Wings of War and Fleet Captains doesn't seem like a dedicated ship combat game at all. Fleet Captains has that element but ship battles don't seem to be the main point of the game. I would like to see some expansions for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
There are ships, like squads, that seem to have the ability to get upgrade cards, but there are no cards for them. With this alone, I'm almost positive they have plans for an expansion.

I agree. Note also that in the comic there are "Storm Force" destroyers for the ISN and in pictures with monitor readings on the Everest you can see a couple of times coordinate diagrams of a wretch ship that is not included. My guess is that at least one expansion is ready and waiting for the christmas sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those may also just be ships that were in the development stage but never made it into the game. Thats pretty common really.

3 months is a bit too long to wait for an expansion. As said. Hasbro and WOTC usually have their expansions announced by the time the first game is out. Thats how it was with Gamma World and Castle Ravenloft, though technically the Whole Ravenloft/Ashardalon series are standalone that happen to be interchangeable. Though there was alot larger a pause between the release of Ashardalon and the soon to be out Drizzt add on.

Though lack of announcements may just be WOTC dropping the ball, again. It took them a while to get the rules up so anythings possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor H
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m starting to doubt we will see an expansion, but I sooo want one. The game practically shouts for an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gong gongongo
Norway
flag msg tools
Hmm, there must come expansions! Please don't let this one die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they don't release an expansion it will silly. Even if sales are not quite what they want, if they looked at the community at all, they would see that a lot of people are waiting for an expansion before they buy.

It is pretty obvious from they way it is packaged with everything in the box showing the factions symbols and a big number 1, that this was intended to be expanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit puzzled why people are supposing that sales for the game may or may not be at the level that Hasbro desires. It's pretty early in the process, so is there some credible source out there from Hasbro or a distributor making these statements?

If there is an issue with sales, I'd imagine it would be due to a confusing marketing approach taken by Hasbro. Design a game for the hobby market and distribute it in FLGS, but clothe it in mass-market colors, with a name harkening back to a mass-market children's game. Not everyone in the hobby market belongs to BGG, and if a gamer walked into an FLGS and saw this game on the shelf, I could see why they might pass it by without giving it a second thought. The way they packaged this game, it seems more at home on the shelf at T'R'U or Walmart, but that's not where it's at. Strange decision on Hasbro's part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
It is pretty obvious from they way it is packaged with everything in the box showing the factions symbols and a big number 1, that this was intended to be expanded.

No need for more to see that this is obviously the intention of Hasbro to release expansions.

Therefore the question will solely reside in the success of the base set...

So, will you wait to see if there are expansions before buying it, or will you buy it right now and increase the chances for the expansions to be published ?

In my case, I bought it, thinking that even if official expansions where missing, it would be possible to easily expand the game with some other figures and house rules. I'm confident we will soon see some interesting ideas on BGG, about some movies rethematisation for instance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering they handed it over to WOTC. Hasbro's hand in marketing may not be as much as otherwise would be expected. Which may explain the odd approaches to the game.
Really though. With WOTC handling it all bets are off for any ryme or reason to what transpires.

But yes. Its still too early to tell how its doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

No need for more to see that this is obviously the intention of Hasbro to release expansions.

Therefore the question will solely reside in the success of the base set...

So, will you wait to see if there are expansions before buying it, or will you buy it right now and increase the chances for the expansions to be published ?

In my case, I bought it, thinking that even if official expansions where missing, it would be possible to easily expand the game with some other figures and house rules. I'm confident we will soon see some interesting ideas on BGG, about some movies rethematisation for instance...
I have had the game since its release over the summer. I only pointed it out because some people (possibly those who don't have the game) have made it seem that they were unsure if expansions were even intended for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

I hear a lot of talk about marketing a game toward the FLGS/Hobby market vs. the mass market (i.e. Walmart, T'R'U, etc.). Is there a reason why a game can't be marketed toward both?

I can understand why some games might be more suited toward one market than the other, and why a smaller game company might not have the resources to devote to mass marketing, but with a game like Battleship Galaxies that has crossover appeal and is put out by a corporation the size of Hasbro, it seems odd to not target both markets and increase the chance of hitting at least one of them.

Any industry folks out there with insight into this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
something akin to target audience. Wargames, which Galaxies essentially is, tend not to sell as well in the general market as they would with a FLGS.

That and Hasbro may have WOTC on the tight budget leash again for this for whatever reasons. I agree though with others that this looks more like a general release game. It is possible it was originally intended to go with more simplistic or easy to manufacture (non painted) ships.

I doubt we'll ever really know the full reason the game went the course it has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have to remember that this is called the Saturn Offensive. Sounds like a first of many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.