Subject: What's the point of the treasure figurines? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Miller
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Aside from being really cool to look at, of course. I don't really see their purpose in the game. I thought they might allow you to hand off treasure or something if you're about to drown, but that is a game ending condition anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
They're used to show which Treasures have been achieved during the course of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And they look great in picture reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better if you have two sets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really fancy markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dystopian Dreamer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spencewah wrote:
Aside from being really cool to look at, of course.

What? You need more than this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
What I don't understand is why you put a figurine on the board at the start of the game, if there are TWO eligible locations for the treasure (if I understand the rules correctly).

Am I getting it right, that the actual location of where you choose to put down the figuring among its two eligible locations has no practical game effect? (it's just for looks?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say you place the figurine around the island, not on the island, or any particular island tiles. Just put them off to the side somewhere until they are claimed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bjork

Virginia
msg tools
Right. I guess when I read it the first time, I inferred the colloquial meaning. When I hear someone claim to have misplaced something "around the house" or do some work "around the house" I take to still mean IN the house. The literal interpretation makes sense now!

I think to make it more visually appealing to my kids, I still may put them each on one of the two eligible tiles, and explain they could nab it on the other one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Latimer
England
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spencewah wrote:
Aside from being really cool to look at, of course. I don't really see their purpose in the game. I thought they might allow you to hand off treasure or something if you're about to drown, but that is a game ending condition anyway.

To inspire younger kids to want to play.
Although they can become obsessed by one particular treasure they want to claim rather than what they have most cards in.
But I guess that's all part of learning to play as a team, and being a parent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morrison
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
We like to put a figurine on the appropriate card after the other corresponding treasure card has been sunk, as a visual reminder of the importance of not letting that second card be sunken as well. Clutters the board a bit, and can slow down the flipping of a tile when it gets flooded, but what the heck since it does add a little 'race for the prize' edge to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Arrange them correctly during a lunar eclipse and you'll find out....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The variation that is listed in http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/697374/heavy-treasure is really very good and uses the treasure thematically and adds a really good system of actually carrying the treasure with your piece, this being of a heavy nature, limits your movement by 1 for each piece. Now this forces you to store the treasure in a safe haven,(a tile) whilst you carry another one, cause too many will make moving impossible. imagine carrying 3 pieces. Anyone can then pick up the treasure, and this does add a really good mechanic and strategy to an already great game. It also makes things a little bit harder as well.
Oh no!! That tile where my treasure is has just been flooded, if that goes under, we are done for!!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great !! A variant to make the game even harder than it is. I find losing every game hard enough. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will take cool chrome over cardboard any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.