BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Guru Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devin Goddard

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
I'm having a similar experience with guruboardgames.com as the OP here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/693101/guruboardgames-com-no...

It seems the problem was eventually resolved, which is encouraging. But I would like to add my experience to the bank of experience on the forums. I read a fair amount of negative criticism of the site, but it seemed most of that was centered around items that were either pre-orders or items no longer in production. Since the items I hoped to order were not things that fall into those categories, I thought I would give them a chance given that their prices are exceptionally low (That's not to say that they are the lowest prices anywhere on every game, but most of their prices seem to be about 30% lower than the MSRP, which I would call exceptionally low).

I placed my order on the 5th of Sept. 2011. All of the items I ordered were in stock (the lowest inventory count of any of the items is currently at 9 and was higher when I ordered it) and all of the items say, "usually ships next business day." For the record, I used their free shipping option. After three full business days, my order was still listed as "Awaiting Fulfillment." They have a built-in account messaging system that I used to try to contact them yesterday, Sept 8. Given that in this forum (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/652783/great-prices-at-guru-...) they make claims that they will get business by providing superior customer service, I would have expected a response by now. I have now sent a request through their regular contact page. If I don't hear back, they can expect a phone call on Monday. If nothing changes, I'm afraid I'll have to go through the inconvenience of having to contest the charge on my credit card.

So far, I'm less than impressed with their "superior customer service." I should also mention that their current selection is very limited, but they claim to be working on adding more products to their site. However, their prices are impressive so I'm not quite prepared to give up on them.

For those considering purchasing from them be warned they aren't the most responsive of retailers if you want more information about the status of your order.

I'm curious about the details of other people's experience with Guru Board Games, so if you're willing please share.

I'll try to keep this post updated as the situation progresses.

*Update*
It seems that one of the items (Thunderstone: Thornwood Siege) I ordered is on the list of items in the pre-order section of their website. However, the page for the item does not mention it at the time of this update. It seems the problem may be poor website design. I would think that either the "Availability" or the "Current Stock" field would show pre-order if the item is a pre-order, but apparently it does not.

*Update*
Got a reply to my request through the "Contact" page (it was in the spam folder, apparently this merchant is fairly prone to getting registered as spam). Supposedly, my order shipped. My order status still says "Awaiting Fulfillment," so those of you considering purchasing from them should be aware that the status of your order may not change to indicate that it has shipped. According to the response, I should have tracking info by Monday.

*Update*
Monday has come and gone, still no tracking info.

*Update*
4 of the 5 items I ordered arrived in the mail today. I see no reason the 5th item shouldn't have come in the same box. Called the company to ask, got the voicemail. They obviously don't keep normal business hours. All signs point to me advising you to avoid this retailer.

*Update*
Got home from a vacation today (Sept 20). Last item still isn't here. Called the company again. I noticed they changed their phone number. New VM message implies they keep normal business hours now, so I'll try again tomorrow.

*Update*
Called and got the VM again. Sent a message via the contact page again since that has been the only method of contact that has been successful in getting any response.

*Update*
It's been over a week of trying to contact the retailer now. I've left my phone number and order number every time I called and I know they have my email address. I still haven't heard from them. They have my money, so what do they care. Even with the extra cost of paying for a game I didn't get, I still saved about $30 on the MSRP, but that's a deal I could have gotten on Amazon and I know I'd have all of my order by now if I had ordered from there.

So, here's my final verdict. To give them credit where it's due, their prices are excellent (but that doesn't really matter when you pay for games they don't deliver on), and the items that did arrive were packed well enough to prevent any damage.
There was no shipping manifest with the items I did get, so I have no idea if the missing item was suppose to be in the box or not, but it hasn't shown up yet and I don't think it will at this point. The customer service of this company is woefully bad. The fact that an item was not in my order could be forgiven (mistakes happen), but the fact that the company seems content doing nothing about it and giving me the cold shoulder is inexcusable in the world of online retailers. I won't be buying from them again, and unless you're into gambling, I recommend you don't buy from them either. Other retailers like Boards & Bits have comparable prices and are more reputable. I haven't purchased from Boards & Bits before (I just discovered them recently), but from what I can tell they have a history of delivering their product.

A note on my comments:
It's my hypothesis that comments on the service of retailers skews toward the negative simply because it isn't remarkable when things go right. When things go right, you simply get what you expected because the merchant told you that's what you would get. Unless a retailer upgrades your free shipping to one day shipping or gives you some kind of cash back, they can't really do better than your expectations. On the other hand, when things go wrong, you want to warn people that they might not get what they expect. So, people tend to comment when things go wrong, but not when things go right (at the very least it's true for me). So, if your experience was a positive one, it would probably be worth sharing here. You won't change my mind, but you might be able to help others get a more well rounded opinion of the retailer. Also, if you're trying to decide what you think of this retailer, I would suggest that you not rely solely on my story to make your judgement.

*One Last Update*
I finally got a notification that my order has been changed to "partially shipped" from "shipped." So, it looks like the problem will be resolved and I'll get what I ordered. I'm still not impressed with the customer service. It shouldn't take me as many attempts as it did to contact them, and I specifically requested they call me to let me know what the deal was. Instead the only contact I got was what I assume is a system message telling me about the change in the order status. Given the problems I've had, I still don't expect to place any more orders with them in the near future. If you do place an order with them and you need to contact them, I recommend you use the contact page form. That seems to be the method that got the best response.

Last Update:
I felt that I should relate that it's been over a month and I still don't have the last item of my order, nor have I heard any more from the retailer. Even if it does get here some day (I sincerely doubt it will), it won't have been worth the hassle. I've already ordered and received a copy from Amazon anyway. Again, I recommend avoiding this retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Baltimore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
customer service is nonexistent. I called and emailed and no response.
The calls gave messages to leave a message and said that if it was business hours they were busy with another customer. Finally, got through to a "hello" and they denied that they were Guru games. Checked the number and found it was Guru's. Redialed and got the standard phone message. So I had the right number. something is really strange here.

Alan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Wong
msg tools
mb
Sorry to hear of your troubles with them. I just saw their website and it looked a bit too good to be true so doing some research read your posts here. Thanks for posting, I will be avoiding this retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cottam
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DO NOT USE GURU BOARD GAMES!

Wish I had seen your post before ordering through Guru. I ordered Civilization for my husband on 12/7/11 thinking that, of course, it will arrive before Christmas. Given that they had supposedly over 12 in stock when I purchased this shouldn't have been a problem. As of this morning my order status is still "awaiting fulfillment."

I've emailed, called, emailed, and called again. No response. I'm thinking I may contact my visa company and have the charges reversed since I have not received the items. This is nuts. Sad that the only thing the hubby has asked for this Christmas he won't get angry

Guess I have learned a lesson - DO NOT USE GURU BOARD GAMES even if their prices are incredible.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Baird
United States
Macomb
Illinois
flag msg tools
Similar experience.

Their website said King of Tokyo was in stock, so I ordered it on 12/5, hoping to get it for my family for Christmas. When my order status remained "Awaiting Fulfillment" when it should have shipped, I called and emailed. Each call went to voice mail. To date, I have received no response to my email. Their website is now down.

Charge disputed.

This has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a company. I urge no one to give them any business. In addition, I encourage BGG not to allow them to advertise on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Hartman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Was going to post my concerns here, but Ive ordered from Guru and just received notification of same day shipping with a tracking number.

The shop owner is an active member of the gaming scene in London and runs the shop because he loves gaming.

If you look around there are also quite a few happy customers as of late, and since they support PayPal and tracked shipping you will be fine as long as you employ those two options together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgthartman wrote:
Was going to post my concerns here, but Ive ordered from Guru and just received notification of same day shipping with a tracking number.

The shop owner is an active member of the gaming scene in London and runs the shop because he loves gaming.

If you look around there are also quite a few happy customers as of late, and since they support PayPal and tracked shipping you will be fine as long as you employ those two options together.

I think you've mixed up Boardgameguru (awesome UK games retailer with whom I place nearly all my gaming orders) and Guru Board Games (from the looks of things, a US-based games retailer with next to no customer service).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
obenn wrote:
I think you've mixed up Boardgameguru (awesome UK games retailer with whom I place nearly all my gaming orders) and Guru Board Games (from the looks of things, a US-based games retailer with next to no customer service).

Just what I was going to say!

And guruboardgames.com seems defunct. Unlike the excellent boardgameguru.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.