Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Again, this question is based on the v2.0 English translation by Simon Lundström (Zimeon) found on the Arclight site.

For a change, this isn't a "can the effects of Winter be stacked" question

Old Man Winter (Card 29)
Quote:
If [this] is in your Combat Zone, you must pay 1 SP for each deployed army card you want reactivated. During your tactics phase, you may trash 2 supply cards from your hand to thrash [this].

"you must pay 1 SP for each deployed army card you want reactivated". This makes no mention in which phase this applies in and as such would apply (for example) to reactivating a Panzer Tank unit during a battle in Phase 2 (Tactics Phase).

Looking at the Japanese text on the actual card, I think I can see mention of Phase 1 (Starting Phase) in the first sentence. In the second sentence I think I can see mention of Phase 2 (Tactics Phase). Is this correct, if so shouldn't the 1 SP cost only apply to reactivating cards during Phase 1?

I think the English translation should reflect this and should be something along the lines of "during the starting phase you must pay 1 SP for each deployed army card you want reactivated".

This situation came up in a game where a player had Old Man Winter applied and was attacking a City. The player didn't have spare Supply cards available during Phase 2 to trash Winter so it was still around during the battle. The player attacked with Tanks and wanted to use Motorcycle Messenger to reactivate one of the exhausted Tanks. Reading the English text as is on the Winter card implied he couldn't because he needed to pay a further 1 SP and he needed this 1 SP to exhaust the Tank for a second time.

Many thanks. Especially to Zimeon since without his translations and contributions to this forum I would have never purchased this excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
This makes no mention in which phase this applies in and as such would apply (for example) to reactivating a Panzer Tank unit during a battle in Phase 2 (Tactics Phase).

You are correct. This would need a clarification. The English text should be:

Quote:
If [this] is in your Combat Zone, none of your deployed army cards reactivate during your startup phase unless you pay 1 supply point. During your tactics phase, you may trash 2 supply cards from your hand to thrash [this].

xris wrote:
This situation came up in a game where a player had Old Man Winter applied and was attacking a City. The player didn't have spare Supply cards available during Phase 2 to trash Winter so it was still around during the battle. The player attacked with Tanks and wanted to use Motorcycle Messenger to reactivate one of the exhausted Tanks. Reading the English text as is on the Winter card implied he couldn't because he needed to pay a further 1 SP and he needed this 1 SP to exhaust the Tank for a second time.

As it wasn't the startup phase, he would not have to pay extra supply points.

I am deeply sorry for the disambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Many thanks for your help, it's due to your efforts I'm playing Barbarossa (as well and El Alamein, Tanto Cuore and KuniTori).

I'll be posting more questions here in the forum over the next few days so my apologies for bugging you further

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.