Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

"Dear God, how I wish for a cold drink. Anything would do, even water. This heat isn't normal, that's for sure. And being in this town, Arkham, didn't help: the stink from the docks I could smell even from downtown - it seems that, with the abismal heat and the recent drought, the river is as low as ever been before and the fishes are dying by the thousands, rotting in the mud. But isn't just the fishes that are dying: there are victims among people also - terrible burned, all of them. The Agency thinks that could be something made by the Mob, and that is why I'm here.
The pictures of the deads can lead to that sort of thinking, however I see them in the morgue, and what I saw weren't made by querosene and matches. The doctor said that even the bones burned, like if the bodies were nothing more than a big piece of coal.
There are several weird occurrences around Arkham, but the newspaper said that they are the result of hallucinations caused by the heat. Tough the reports are consistent in one point: all of them speak about some hedious creature that is made of fire and horror... I do need a cold drink.
"

Fragment of the journal that burned in the fire that killed Roland Banks.

ARKHAM HORROR

Game: Arkham Horror

Investigators: Zoey Samaras, the chef (Gabriel), Minh Thi Phan, the secretary (Germano) and Roland Banks, the fed (I)

Ancient One: Cthugha

Result: Victory (19 points) / Defeat

Special moments: The fastest victory that I ever seem in an Arkham Horror game! The bad luck of Roland, that in the second match, get himself lost in time and space three times in a row.

Description: This will be a special description, as it will serve for two games, as we played twice in a row against Cthugha, with the same investigators. Why is that? Well, because of the fastest victory ever for me in AH; so much is so that is easy to describe the whole game:

First Round: Zoey starts the game with 4 clues, Roland with 2 and Minh with 2 (but also with the King in Yellow tome). Roland also starts with an Ally, and I get the Professor Rice (his power is: "Place 1 Clue token on each unstable location without an open gate when Professor Rice joins you"). So, every unstable location now has 2 clues. All the investigators go after them: Minh goes into the Woods and also reads the King in Yellow, Zoey in the Unvited Isle, and Roland in the Black Cave (that has 3 clues, as the first Mythos card put it there). So to help the math:
- Roland: 5 clues
- Zoey: 5 clues
- Minh: 8 clues

In the Encounter Phase, Minh gets one that opens a gate, so he goes delayed to the Other World. The next Mythos Cards makes a gate appear in the Unvited Isle, so Zoey also goes delayed to the Other World. Roland sticks in Arkham a little more.

Second Round: Roland willing enters a gate. So everyone makes his/her encounters in the first step of the Other Worlds. In the Mythos Phase the gate opens in the Woods, so happens a monster surge.

Third Round: The three investigators move to the second area of the Other Worlds. Again, in the Mythos Phase, a monster surge happens.

Fourth Round: All investigators gets out of the OW and, one by one, closed the gates behind them. Victory with no open gates in the board and with three gate trophies in hand!

All four rounds lasted about 20 minutes.

So I said to the other two players (Gabriel and Germano, that were playing AH for the very first time!) that the game usually isn't that easy, and urge them for a second go, with the same investigators against the same AO. The result this time? A sounding defeat!

In the beginning of the second game, luck seemed to be on our side again, as, for example, Minh went like a crazy person to fight a Mi-Go and a Star Spawn, with no other weapon beside a spell that wasn't sure she would accomplish casting it (her Lore is only 4, and the spell casting modifier was -2). She destroyed the Mi-Go and, with the item that she gets from the cold dead body of the Mi-Go (a Braziers of Souls), she defeated the Star Spawn.

However, this time the aim of Cthugha was far better, and the portals starting to pop everywhere. And then there was a Rumor - The Great Ritual, that to be resolved demands 3 spells, and by the time we have one, and two of the three investigators where in the Other World (and Roland manages to get lost in time and space to help). We failed to resolve it, meaning two Mythos cards were resolved every turn (the first card only for the gate, the second is normal).

From this time on the Terror Level raised almost 1 point every turn. In no time the Terror Level was at a fearful 9, and then other Rumor arrived! This one failed if the Terror Level ever reach 10. Something that happened in the next turn. The penalty for this failed Rumor? All the investigators were cursed.

In the next turn Cthugha was woken up.

How was the final battle? Well, you may know that, in a three player game, is necessary to get 3 success in order to damage the AO. Cthugha has 13 Doom Tokens, so 39 success.

We had two.

How is that for replayability??

And that is all!

*** I apologize for the errors (misspelled words, conjugation, grammar, and others) as I don't usually write in English. Also, is possible that this post have many edits to fix the ones I see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

Great example of Arkham Horror. Every game is different. This is why I play the game. FFG has done a marvelious job. You then add the expansions and away you go. For my money. This has been the best game I have bought in a long time. If you are on the fence about this game, don`t be. The price of the game has gone down. All the expansions are now out. Go for it. I promise the game will drive you insane.

Freebird out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freebird1956 wrote:
devil

Great example of Arkham Horror. Every game is different. This is why I play the game. FFG has done a marvelious job. You then add the expansions and away you go. For my money. This has been the best game I have bought in a long time. If you are on the fence about this game, don`t be. The price of the game has gone down. All the expansions are now out. Go for it. I promise the game will drive you insane.

Freebird out.

thumbsup

I second all that.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice reports. I've never played the same AO twice in a row, and it never occurred to me to do so. Your games show how drastically the game can change, even with the same investigators and AO.

Just two questions. In the first game, you wrote that you "took" Professor Rice. Roland's ally is random, but that could just be a language difference. Took usually means selected by looking at the various choices.

I'll look it up on Wiki, then delete this part if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure The Great Ritual causes the first drawn Mythos card to ignore everything but the gate. I only say that because I just had it come up the other day, and one of us played it wrong. :-)

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Nice reports. I've never played the same AO twice in a row, and it never occurred to me to do so. Your games show how drastically the game can change, even with the same investigators and AO.

Just two questions. In the first game, you wrote that you "took" Professor Rice. Roland's ally is random, but that could just be a language difference. Took usually means selected by looking at the various choices.

Yes, I did selected randomly. I change the word "took" for "get".

apatheticexecutioner wrote:

I'll look it up on Wiki, then delete this part if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure The Great Ritual causes the first drawn Mythos card to ignore everything but the gate. I only say that because I just had it come up the other day, and one of us played it wrong. :-)

Brian

No need to delete. You are right, and we inverted things. I don't think it would matter, as the gates weren't opening, just hitting the ones already open, but this will remind me to read with more attention! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice introduction for your new players! Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.