Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My new vow is to...... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never pre-order another board game. I understand (well, maybe not completely) that there are delays for numerous reasons but I have a good number of currently in-stock games that are being held hostage by pre-orders.

I vow to never again be wowed by exclusive promos. I'll wait until the game hits the retail distribution and order it at that time.

The only "extra" I want is for a game to be delivered on it's original release date. It seems to happen rarely.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
So, how long do you reckon this vow will last?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
So, how long do you reckon this vow will last?


I believe in Andy. I haven't pre-ordered a game sine 2003. It's so worth it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Delay or no delay, it has been pretty nice to have been playing the Summoner Wars: Master Set for the last two months. Better to have it delayed and get it early than to still be waiting on it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Delay or no delay, it has been pretty nice to have been playing the Summoner Wars: Master Set for the last two months. Better to have it delayed and get it early than to still be waiting on it.


Still another example of one sitting in a preorder.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Confirming vow............................

Confirmed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it but ways the difference? You preorder and wair... Or you don't preorder and..... Wait. It's just perception of waiting cause of anticipation
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Delay or no delay, it has been pretty nice to have been playing the Summoner Wars: Master Set for the last two months. Better to have it delayed and get it early than to still be waiting on it.


Still another example of one sitting in a preorder.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Confirming vow............................

Confirmed.
This just says you are not good at pre-ordering and that you do it with the wrong people. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
I get it but ways the difference? You preorder and wair... Or you don't preorder and..... Wait. It's just perception of waiting cause of anticipation


Huge difference. The in-stock games don't arrive until the preorders come. I am waiting for games I could have now.

Preordering makes no sense for me any more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Delay or no delay, it has been pretty nice to have been playing the Summoner Wars: Master Set for the last two months. Better to have it delayed and get it early than to still be waiting on it.


Still another example of one sitting in a preorder.

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Confirming vow............................

Confirmed.
This just says you are not good at pre-ordering and that you do it with the wrong people. shake


Right, I'm a bad preorderer. That makes perfect sense and thanks for your insight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I should take that vow. The Great Fire of London 1666 was my worst mistake. Wonder if I'll ever see that...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
riddlen wrote:
I get it but ways the difference? You preorder and wair... Or you don't preorder and..... Wait. It's just perception of waiting cause of anticipation


Huge difference. The in-stock games don't arrive until the preorders come. I am waiting for games I could have now.

Preordering makes no sense for me any more.


what about a kickstarter.com "preorder"? It IS a preorder but also a support mechanism. None of that either?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kelsheimer
United States
Syracuse
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What drives this desire to be the "first kid on the block with....."?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
riddlen wrote:
I get it but ways the difference? You preorder and wair... Or you don't preorder and..... Wait. It's just perception of waiting cause of anticipation


Huge difference. The in-stock games don't arrive until the preorders come. I am waiting for games I could have now.

Preordering makes no sense for me any more.


what about a kickstarter.com "preorder"? It IS a preorder but also a support mechanism. None of that either?


I've got some Kickstarters waiting to be released and this really doesn't bother me too much because they are stand alone orders. I'm kind of new to BGG and haven't received a Kickstarter game I've ordered yet so time will tell. Most people seem to be happy with Kickstarter but I have noticed some threads that discuss months long delays with some games. Same problems with production way overseas, shipping, etc. There are no easy solutions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fernworthy wrote:
What drives this desire to be the "first kid on the block with....."?


Doesn't apply to me. I only game with my wife and she doesn't care (nor do I) if we are the among the first to get it. Besides, we'll never know.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I generally agree on not going in for pre-orders. There are too many great "in print" games for me to take a dive into something that's basically unknown with unknown production and gameplay quality levels with a largely unknown release date.

Saying all that... I do appreciate those people that do make the "sacrifice" to be the guinea pigs and pre-order because many/most of those games would never see the light of day without supporters making that blind stab in the dark with their wallets to support these designs.

So yes I acknowledge that it's somewhat selfish to not support pre-orders/Kickstarters/P500 designs. I rationalize this because for me it's a combination of my limited budget and high shipping costs for buying individual games one by one which is what the situation is like with most pre-orders. Also my limited gaming budget is better utilized if I put it into proven, quality games that are available NOW than taking shots in the dark at games that "might" be good 6-12 months from now.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.