Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first time ever I've found a game where I want to leave the miniatures in their original grey colour. I think it may have something to do with the game's setting (1920s) and my love of old black & white films (especially horror).

It almost seems a shame not to paint them, but every time I see the figures on the map board they just seem "right" to me, just the way they are (even though the rest of the game is in colour). In fact I can't look at the Chthonians without imagining their tentacles moving in stop-motion animation.

I think I've finally gone mad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't want to be painted. Paint would contain them, restrict them. They need to breathe. They need contact with the air around them. The air in the room with you. The air you breathe.

They don't want to be painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, seeing them painted in shades of gray like an old B&W film would look pretty cool....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Well if the B&W type of mentality is wanted, then you could modify them to at least bring out some depth to the models and it would be quite easy to do.

Spray the models with a light coat of Dull-cote (basically a matte varnish) which will act as a primer and allow the retention of the grey color of the models.

Then give them a black ink wash.

Instant B&W movie effect.

You could go further with wet blends in blacks, whites and grays... but that way madness lies.

Mmmmmmmm...wet blends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the OP is one up on me...I wanna paint them but
just keep putting it off. shake

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Then give them a black ink wash.

Instant B&W movie effect.

You could go further with wet blends in blacks, whites and grays... but that way madness lies.

Sounds cool, but I have no idea what you mean. Is there a B/W painting guide for the new & unskilled somewhere on the geek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found I really couldn't stop once I had started. I've just stalled on the cultists. All the rest are finished. Reading about Forbidden Alchemy today strengthened my resolve to get them all done.

I have to admit doing the monsters was the most fun, although I enjoyed seeing how the investigators looked once they had paint and an ink wash in place. The sculpts are pretty good.

Great idea about the B&W paint scheme. Someone painted their A Touch of Evil minis in a Sepia tone and they look magnificent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
Reading about Forbidden Alchemy today strengthened my resolve to get them all done.

The sentence above is awesome for anyone who hasn't seen the upcoming Mansions expansion yet, because it makes you sound like you are using evil alchemical magic in your miniature painting

Quote:
Great idea about the B&W paint scheme. Someone painted their A Touch of Evil minis in a Sepia tone and they look magnificent.

I did see those, and I must admit I'm tempted to do this, however to do it right I'll have to watch a couple of old films and make some notes (Them! would probably be idea due to its varying costumes). The most (potentially) difficult to paint will be the monsters themselves, so that they don't all end up looking the same. And I'd have to be careful not to make the blacks *too* black, so as to avoid turning everyone into penguins.

EDIT: Here's a link to an example of someone who did the technique we are talking about:

http://carmensminiaturepainting.blogspot.com/2008/03/black-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn! That looks good!
Wish my minis where painted like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to see the mentioned Sepia painted minis. Found them, and thought I'd share the link here to save some time searching.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/545334/a-touch-of-evil-the-su...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.