Subject: Another of my Powers: Lawyer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as hadsil is now posting Lucre aliens and other powers that use not-yet-published-by-FFG-elements, I figure I might as well also. I don't have very many like this, but here's one:

LAWYER
Sues others for losses

You have the power to Sue. In the Resolution phase of any encounter in which you lost ships or cards, you may use this power to sue any one other player whom you designate as responsible. That player must pay you one Lucre for each ship and card you lost for any reason. Lost ships include any that you no longer have control of, such as to the Warp, out of the game, or into someone else's control. Lost cards include any cards that leave your hand permanently without your having played them, such as due to compensation, Hand Zap, or Trader. It also includes cards that you play whose effects are cancelled by Card Zap or the like.

If a player doesn't have enough Lucre to pay you, he pays what he has and pays the rest as soon as he gets it. No player may claim victory in the game if he still owes you Lucre.

History: Despite coming from a system rich in natural resources, the Lawyers did not develop technology to improve their lifestyle. Instead, they demanded payments from others for any misfortune that befell them. Totally indifferent to the concepts of justice and personal accomplishment, the Lawyers merely want assurance of their continued well-being (or at least compensation from someone for the lack of same).

As any player / Optional / Resolution

Wild: When another player loses an encounter in which you were not a main player, you may offer to sue the winner on behalf of the loser. You set an award and a fee which may be anything one could normally get in a deal. If the loser agrees, he gets the award from the winner, and you get the fee from the loser. [Not main player / Resolution]

Super: If the player you sue doesn't have enough Lucre to pay you, you may establish a colony where he has a colony as payment of the balance owed. [Any player / Resolution]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great minds think alike.

I created my own power called Lawyer that does this. I only have it count for ships not cards, but same difference.

It was next in line to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lawyers are representatives. That is, they stand in for the person who has losses, and assist that person in recovering them. Thematically, this alien should help a different player collect (and then take a percentage, typically 33%). He shouldn't be able to directly recover his own losses.

Mechanically, it's an interesting idea. I wonder if blocking somebody from winning is too powerful though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

Lawyers are representatives. That is, they stand in for the person who has losses, and assist that person in recovering them. Thematically, this alien should help a different player collect (and then take a percentage, typically 33%). He shouldn't be able to directly recover his own losses.

That was my first thought as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My original idea was to have it apply only to ships lost, but 1L per ship seemed too weak, and 2L per ship seemed too strong. At the Mayfair scale, 1.5L might have been OK, but it's annoying to have to deal with amounts like that, so I added the lost cards part, which I think gives it the right power level.

Rubric wrote:

Well, it's not just one guy - it's a whole alien race of lawyers. After all, the truly injured party in this case is in the Warp when the lawsuit takes place.

Quote:
I wonder if blocking somebody from winning is too powerful though.

That was added to prevent players from simply spending all their lucre so they can never be sued. This is a problem with other lucre powers like Pirate - and I didn't want another alien with the same problem.

Also, getting the lucre to pay the Lawyer is rarely much of a problem (at least at the Mayfair scale). The lawsuit is rarely going to be more than about 6-7 lucre, which most players will be able to get on their turn if they don't already have it. Four ships lost to the warp is only 4L. The only way for large amounts of Lucre to be sued for is due to Trader, Barbarian, Hand Zap, et al., and a large hand of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if blocking somebody from winning is too powerful though.

That was added to prevent players from simply spending all their lucre so they can never be sued. This is a problem with other lucre powers like Pirate - and I didn't want another alien with the same problem.

Oh okay, fair point.

Quote:
Also, getting the lucre to pay the Lawyer is rarely much of a problem (at least at the Mayfair scale). The lawsuit is rarely going to be more than about 6-7 lucre, which most players will be able to get on their turn if they don't already have it. Four ships lost to the warp is only 4L. The only way for large amounts of Lucre to be sued for is due to Trader, Barbarian, Hand Zap, et al., and a large hand of cards.

Might be okay for Mayfair, but it would be impossible to win under Eon rules. If you owe 4 lucre, it will take you 4 turns, which means 4 times around the table, amounting to possibly an hour of play or longer. And what are the odds you'll go 4 times around without getting sued again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Might be okay for Mayfair, but it would be impossible to win under Eon rules. If you owe 4 lucre, it will take you 4 turns, which means 4 times around the table, amounting to possibly an hour of play or longer. And what are the odds you'll go 4 times around without getting sued again?

Absolutely! This power, as I wrote it, was never intended for the Eon-style Lucre rules. If the Lawyer were to be modified for Eon lucre, it would probably have to be 1 Lucre only - regardless of the number of ships or cards lost.

With Mayfair rules, you usually get about 6-8 lucre on your turn. And with Moons (the standard 2 per system), you could get up to 10. And you could always get more through the use of various Lucre powers, deals, etc.

But just to be clear: Do not use this power with Eon-style Lucre rules without some *serious* modification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got into Lucre in the old days, but the more you guys talk about it, the more I want to play with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note also that you can sue any player at all, not necessarily your opponent or the one who directly caused your losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.