Subject: Good Economist article on unemployment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some excerpts:

"The landscape is not uniformly bleak. Germany, for example, now has a lower jobless rate than before the financial crisis. ... And the human cost of the economic crisis is paid largely by those who are out of work, for joblessness increases depression, divorce, substance abuse and pretty much everything that can go wrong in a life.

"... A disproportionate share of those out of work are young, and youth unemployment leaves more scars, in terms of lower future wages and greater likelihood of future unemployment (see article). Joblessness is also becoming more chronic. In America, famous for its flexible labour market, the average jobless spell now lasts 40 weeks, up from 17 in 2007."

http://www.economist.com/node/21528630

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's got to depend on the industry. Some jobs have huge productivity ranges while others don't. And, many won't have his attitude: they'll try to go the cheap route; I can't count the times I've seen that mistake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
DeltaAlphaBravo wrote:
...I dropped in on a station having a call in show talking about the economy, jobs, and tips for getting hired...
There is nothing more amusing than people giving out "tips" for getting hired. I love reading those articles, because they inevitably contain uplifting bits like, "If you are 30 seconds late to the interview, you are worthless scum and will never be hired ever again by anyone." Or, "If you do not coordinate your tie perfectly with your suit, or if you don't make eye-contact, or make too much eye-contact, or smell too bad, or smell too good, or kiss the recruiter's ass too much, or kiss the recruiter's ass insufficiently, then you are POND SCUM, and as a result will NEVER BE HIRED ANYWHERE EVER AGAIN, so go home and drink yourself to sleep, you slimy, leeching, awful reprobate."

And it always ends with, "Stay positive!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

sad but true
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
DeltaAlphaBravo wrote:
...I dropped in on a station having a call in show talking about the economy, jobs, and tips for getting hired...
There is nothing more amusing than people giving out "tips" for getting hired. I love reading those articles, because they inevitably contain uplifting bits like, "If you are 30 seconds late to the interview, you are worthless scum and will never be hired ever again by anyone." Or, "If you do not coordinate your tie perfectly with your suit, or if you don't make eye-contact, or make too much eye-contact, or smell too bad, or smell too good, or kiss the recruiter's ass too much, or kiss the recruiter's ass insufficiently, then you are POND SCUM, and as a result will NEVER BE HIRED ANYWHERE EVER AGAIN, so go home and drink yourself to sleep, you slimy, leeching, awful reprobate."

And it always ends with, "Stay positive!"

They also never agree on what is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaAlphaBravo wrote:
While flipping radio stations a year or so ago, I dropped in on a station having a call in show talking about the economy, jobs, and tips for getting hired.

One caller called in and was brutal but honest. He was a hiring manager for a major employer in the area and said (paraphrasing): "If I get a resume and the person is not currently employed, I will not consider it. If a person is a strong resource they're currently employed."

Essentially he is saying, we trimmed the fat in 2007/2008 and now we are lean and mean. We don't want to add fat, we want to attract other companies muscle (Talent).

In some ways this person is right. Businesses have trimmed heavily and remained just as productive (on a per employee basis) if not more so and profits are up. But his position is brutal nonetheless.

Best one I ever heard (from some one in HR) was that if it arrives in a brown envelope they throw it in the bin un-opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DeltaAlphaBravo wrote:
While flipping radio stations a year or so ago, I dropped in on a station having a call in show talking about the economy, jobs, and tips for getting hired.

One caller called in and was brutal but honest. He was a hiring manager for a major employer in the area and said (paraphrasing): "If I get a resume and the person is not currently employed, I will not consider it. If a person is a strong resource they're currently employed."

Essentially he is saying, we trimmed the fat in 2007/2008 and now we are lean and mean. We don't want to add fat, we want to attract other companies muscle (Talent).

In some ways this person is right. Businesses have trimmed heavily and remained just as productive (on a per employee basis) if not more so and profits are up. But his position is brutal nonetheless.

Best one I ever heard (from some one in HR) was that if it arrives in a brown envelope they throw it in the bin un-opened.

Well, half the problem, here is that these are often NOT made-up recommendations, but based on what actual HR departments do as policy.

It's infuriating - both because it's so random, but also conflicting. One HR department will *ONLY* look at Resumes printed on plain, stiff, white, paper. Another HR department will throw away all white resumes and only use resumes printed on the neo-parchment-style papers.

This is definitely one of the reasons that the best way to apply for a position you want - by far - is to network your way in via friends and other employees of the company. Just do an end-around on all the HR arbitrariness and capriciousness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.