Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, All! Recently picked up a copy of this one and am REALLY excited to get it to the table later this month!

For those of you who have played, I'm looking for input re. playing Free For All or Alliances. We will have 4 players for our session. What's your experience so far? Which version do you like the best? Just fishing for opinions here, so let them fly!

THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played free-4-all. It was horrible. The down time between turns was the worst. Most of the time each player could sit around for 20+ mins before it was their turn again. The younger players hated the game. Don't play it unless everyone is very familiar with the rules and can take their turns quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mike. Hoping for a better experience! Some downtime is expected in a conquest game of this type. Thankfully, none of the folks I game with are terribly AP-prone, so that will help. Also planning to play the rules for a short game in case folks don't like the game. Just unsure which version to attempt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've liked free-for-all more. Play fast, don't care if you lose since it's your first game. See if everyone will adopt that strategy. If they won't or can't, play 2v2 and be a little sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B Canada wrote:
I played free-4-all. It was horrible. The down time between turns was the worst. Most of the time each player could sit around for 20+ mins before it was their turn again. The younger players hated the game. Don't play it unless everyone is very familiar with the rules and can take their turns quickly.

Downtime for one player will not decrease by playing 2 vs 2...
besides downtime isn´t half as bad as some people tell you in this game, it´s actually one of the most bearable games regarding downtime of it´s kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
besides downtime isn´t half as bad as some people tell you in this game, it´s actually one of the most bearable games regarding downtime of it´s kind.

I agree!
The actions the players to your immediate left and righ are taking will have great influence on what you will do in your turn. And about half the battles they fight will be against you. So I really do not understand the complaints about downtime.

As far as choosing between a free-for-all or alliance game, I would choose free-for-all until all players are familiar with the game. There is nothing worse than being dependent on a player that doesn't have a clue how to best score the shared victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
We played a 4 player alliance last night. First game for all of us and there was very little interaction between the allied players since they were so far apart. I zipped an elemental up to help block an opponent's castle from building ships and we offered strategy suggestions to each other but other than that, our armies were too far apart to cooperate materially. So most of my time was spent dealing with my 2 opponents. I think alliance style might balance out a weaker player with a stronger player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the thoughts so far! Leaning toward Free For All at this point. Also figure we'll play the short game to the lower number of victory points in case someone's not a big fan of the game. shake I'm fairly sure I'm going to LOVE it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gothwolf Foundation
Norway
flag msg tools
Well I have just played the game free-4-all short version.

And i can tell you this;

1. We played the game for 2 hours, only the first player got 2 turns before win condition is met, all the others got only 1 during the whole game.

2. Since you only get VP for CONQUERING enemy lands,there were really no point in retaking your lost lands, therefor the player who starts have all the benefits.

3. A game that will let you win in 2 turns is really not a good game, because you would not get the chance of it's full potential of strategy by far. You will not have the time to build up your army to do any greater/fun battles.

This game feels just like Risk/ Axis&Allies etc. It was a big disappointment and a total waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothwolf wrote:

And i can tell you this;

1. We played the game for 2 hours, only the first player got 2 turns before win condition is met, all the others got only 1 during the whole game.

2. Since you only get VP for CONQUERING enemy lands,there were really no point in retaking your lost lands, therefor the player who starts have all the benefits.

3. A game that will let you win in 2 turns is really not a good game, because you would not get the chance of it's full potential of strategy by far. You will not have the time to build up your army to do any greater/fun battles.

This game feels just like Risk/ Axis&Allies etc. It was a big disappointment and a total waste of time.

I believe chess can be won in 2 moves (fools mate) - care to comment?

-John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothwolf wrote:

And i can tell you this;

Wow your downtime was much worse than my experience. At least we all got about 4-5 turns. I think that was because we spent the first couple turns building armies though. I can't believe people say this game has a tolerable downtime, they must work for the company to squash any negative comments. laugh jk

Next time try the 2vs2, I think it would be a better game. If you can get anyone to play again that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I believe that once a player hits the target VP, you finish out the round so that all players get an equal number of turns. Then the high score wins.

Also, 13 points in 2 turns is amazing. Are you sure you played correctly? You know that Sea spaces don't count for VPs right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I believe that once a player hits the target VP, you finish out the round so that all players get an equal number of turns. Then the high score wins.

This is correct, no player will ever have fewer played turns at the end of the game, if played by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothwolf wrote:
Since you only get VP for CONQUERING enemy lands,there were really no point in retaking your lost lands, therefor the player who starts have all the benefits.

Gold income is very critical in the game, so a player can't afford to allow an enemy faction to control his faction's starting land spaces. But since the enemy will earn another VP if he's able to reconquer such a space, the player has to ensure he's able to defend it immediately after reconquering it. You will lose if you allow enemy factions to control your faction's starting land spaces for an extended period of time.

Also, Karkoth has the weakest event deck (Nerath has the strongest) to balance their first-turn advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
Hey all, I'd like to ask a question and this seems like a good place for it. I've played my first game yesterday (yay christmas). A 4-way ffa short game (13 VP). It was awesome (I played Karkoth and lost, even though I had the most territories conquered). What I loved was how the conquer-reconquer mechanic made it absolutely pointless to defend and beef up instead of attacking. I thought in terms of Risk and different wargames I play (I tried to cut my enemies supply lines - heh), so I got soundly thrashed.
However, now I think I'd like to play the long game, for conquering capitals, and I wonder if the game loses some of it's unique feel due to this. In a game with no time limit, where it doesn't matter how fast you can conquer spaces, are bold attacks still a better way to get at it than a stalwart defense and gradual offensives?
Any input appreciated :]
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.