United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79183837/pacly-expressive-shogi?...

I've always felt that Shogi, for all it's brilliance as a game, lacks a certain degree of character that Chess players, with our Horsies and our Castles, have grown accustomed to. Plus, I'm just too damn stubborn and lazy to memorize the Kanji. So these pieces are right up my alley on both of those counts.

I particularly like how the promoted sides depict the backs of the pieces, with little ears and male pattern baldness; a cute touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for showing us this. It looks interesting to me, even though I have no problem memorizing the kanji of normal Shogi. This on the other hand... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikyoku_shogi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn you, D Beau! I just couldn't resist . . .crylaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howe
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Abstract shogi pieces are a good thing, and anything that makes the game playable for more people can't be all bad, but these are a little too cute for me. I don't like the faces; I think they just add clutter and silliness and clash with what I think of as the tone of the game. I think this sort of thing has been done much better several times in noncommercial form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually be really good with pieces that simply had the way the piece moves as a design on it. I second the thumbs down on the cutesy artwork too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see where you guys are coming from. For a while I was considering buying the full-sized Shogi set with the Let's Catch the Lion! artwork, but it just seemed way too cute for such an intense and stately game. This set is cute to be sure, but not obnoxiously so, and I don't feel like it undermines any of the game's dignity. If anything, I think Shogi could use a touch of lightheartedness.

And Richard, glad I could be of service (if lightening one's wallet can be considered a service).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like cute! I own Dobutsu Shogi in the Greenwood, too, which is even better. But if you don't like your Shogi cute, I'm not going to argue. To each his own, I say. Thanks, D!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Koff
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,
They're very funny - gave me a smile.
cool

markgravitygood wrote:
I'd actually be really good with pieces that simply had the way the piece moves as a design on it. I second the thumbs down on the cutesy artwork too.

It just so happens that I just finished creating high-ress print N play Shogi which will be posted shortly.

The pieces ONLY reflect the movement since it's a teaching set

Promoted pieces displayed on right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.