Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not a very experienced player at TTA, but I'm trying to get better. One of the things that seems to stump me (and others in my group) is how to allocate civil actions at the end of the game. The last two turns or so, there are very few cards available that will help you - not enough time/resources left to build a new wonder, leaders are probably going to be useless, yellow cards are delayed, and technologies are probably useless too. To make things worse, all players have 7+ CAs by this point and seemingly little to do with them.

Experienced players: what are some optimal things to do with your last civil actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing is to make sure you have enough resources to complete your wonders. If you don't have one of the building blues (like Masonry) those wonders can take a lot of CAs to complete.

After that, its basically anything you can do to squeeze out a bit more culture - upgrading buildings, building new stuff, the usual. I'd say about 1 game in 5 I have CAs that I don't need near the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And once you've considered all your needs, don't forget to think about anything that might be useful to your opposing civilizations. Be sure to take anything they might be able to use.

But yes, I often end with unused CAs in the last turn. Not usually in the second-to-last turn, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Zamalvide
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably the least experienced player on the whole board, but I'll give my two cents anyway. I think that if in the last turn you find yourself with civil actions you have no way whatsoever to use to improve your position (even taking impacts into accout), then you may want to consider playing denial. Stealing techs to Einstein or First Space Flight, labs/libraries/theaters to Internet/Hollywood, or any card that would help other players with the impacts. Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
In one game I played, I picked up the 'Work of Art' (Age III) action card during the 2nd to the last round and then played it for 3 culture points on the last round. It was mainly a joke and we didn't expect anything out of it.

You guessed it. I kid you NOT. I ended up winning that game by ONE SILLY POINT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you have no direct culture-generating moves on the last turn of the game, you should do everything possibly to upgrade your civilization in order to maximize your chances of scoring points from the Impacts that have been seeded into the event deck. If you're last, you can often guess what many of the Impacts will be by looking at other players' boards. Age III technologies are often very useful to play even if you can't use their abilities because they score 4 pts. each with Impact of Technology. Increasing your population (as long as they're happy) can get you a couple more points with Impact of Population, etc. Also, it's worth jockeying for position in military strength and science production because of the 15/10/5/0 Impacts (in a 4-player game).

This is yet another reason why it's possible to overcome a large culture deficit at the end of the game. Through the Ages rewards having a very good infrastructure in many ways, but the biggest is that infrastructure scores tons of points at game end. So if you have extra CAs, just build whatever you can build. It is likely to gain you some points, especially in a 4-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have found that the best use of civil actions, at least in a 2 player game, is to disband civil buildings that are no longer of use, and rebuild into something better. For example, mines and farms and science generators, so long as you don't run out of food, can be disbanded for culture generators. This is especially good with some sort of resource reduction tech in the masonry line for cheaper rebuildings. Just be cognizant if the impact of agri/industry/science might be out there. I tend to disband what of those I have in my hand or have discarded recently, so as to know that it's not played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.