Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi people. For those of you who know what I mean New York is coming along slowly but in the mean time I though I could post some NH brainteasers I've been coming up with for fun.

Also I’d like to maybe create a Hex-ache but I don’t have any real way to do it. Does anyone know if there’s a program or something that I can use to make one with?

Quiz questions take into account all Base factions, Bable 13 and Duel factions but otherwise are on a standard map.

Might as well post answers as spoilers not to ruin it for other people

Q1 An easy one to start off. What’s the order from most to least of unbuffed (no mod or HQ bonus, you may assume the faction’s own HQ isn’t even on the board) damage the 8 factions can deal to an opposing HQ in one battle. May as well post the damage for each faction too.

Q2: Name all the units in the game that could be given a free rotation each turn without having any affect on the game (ie the unit gains the power of 1 free rotation each turn)

***EDIT***
To clarify the question:
Name all the units in the game that could be granted the ability of an additional free rotation each turn without having any affect on the game. Note that some factions have units with the same name (Outpost and Borgo Brawler for example). Make sure to specify the faction the unit is from if this is the case even if the units are identical (New York and Neo Jungle net fighters for example). You don’t need to specify identical units from the same factions if the faction has more than 1 of said unit.

Q3: And finish off with a real thinker. What is the highest number of moves possible for a single unit in a given turn under the following conditions. You may set your draw and the board up however you like but no more than 4 factions with teams of 2 (if you want teams) unless specified otherwise. A transporter moving than being replaced does NOT transfer its move count to the new unit.

You must name all units capable of this number of movement and explain the setup. You may consider moving a unit to a hex and moving back to the hex you came from as 2 moves if board space might be an issue.

a. Duplicate factions allowed (assume it does combo that way, you’ll know what I mean when you figure out the answer)

b. No Duplicate factions allowed.

c, No Duplicate factions or Teams allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Zachara
Poland
Katowice
Silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice ...
Correct answers will be hard to find, especially for Q1 and Q3. Will think about these in free time

About making hex-aches - You could try ask Ignacy Trzewiczek for graphics or search the net, there is no program made for 'just make a hex-ache' (I didn't heard there is any, maybe I'm wrong), so most probably You will need one of the common graphics editor (Gimp, Photoshop, whatever).

Alternative: put some tiles on the board and make a high-quality photo

See You on NSHex Online (my nick is szovin, I have great respect for Your skill).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey thanks. It's nice to know there are a few people who read these (actually was writing this during our game).

Oh and I forgot to say you don't need to post answers to all 3 questions at once. If you think you have the answer to one of them feel free to post it but I'm going to try and check and confirm in batches of preferably 3+ people answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i definitely read them. I'm just not nearly advanced enough to be able to pull the answers out of my hat and the time needed in front of the board to figure out hasn't been there as of late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Right right I'll admit I've probably been thinking about these for a few months now so I was getting ahead of myself whistle.

One more thing I realized I should add.

For Q1 and Q3 you don't need to be so specific with your answer as to the entire setup of the board (like a photo).

For Q1 the number of damage for each faction is enough though if you want to say how you are doing it just saying "attack directly with units X, Y, and Z and shoot with Units A, B and C is description enough."

For Q3 give description on what you would use in the setup and how it is setup. Board spacing shouldn't be a major issue when we count moving back and forth between 2 spaces as 2 moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
A month and no attempts. I was hoping there would be more interest in it. Oh well. I'll get to working on New York soon but I'm not sure when I'll have the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the base game so I'll only answer for what I know: I added the expansion armies as well, but I'm not completely sure I fully understand them. I also didn't consider team play so there are likely more moves available to the Hegemony Runner.

Q1: What's the maximum damage to a HQ in one battle from a single faction with no mods?
A1: Outpost can line up all 12 of their units to attack due to their range. Hegemony and Vegas suffer due to the lack of ranged attacks.
Outpost = 19
New York = 18
Borgo = 15, Moloch = 15, Smart = 15
Neojungle = 12 (or 11 if Poison doesn't count)
Hegemony = 11
Vegas = 8

Q2: What tiles can are rotationally symmetric?
A2: I count 9 units (and 9 tiles) in the base game:
Borgo: HQ
Outpost: HQ, Officer, Scoper, Saboteur, Recon Center
Moloch: HQ
Hegemony: HQ, Transport

Plus 8 more units (and 9 tiles):
Vegas: HQ, Saboteur
Smart: HQ
New York: HQ, Spy Cleaner
Neojungle: HQ, Vines, Swarm (x2)

Q3: What is the maximum number of moves a single unit can take in one turn?
A3: Hegemony Runner can move 4 times. Starts next to a Transport. Moves one from the module. Moves again from it's own ability and you play two Moves from your hand.

If you mean distance covered: Outpost Runners and Mobile Armors can move 6 spaces. Recon Center is on the board. Runner/MA moves 2 spaces from it's move and then 4 more due to playing 2 Move tiles from hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Zachara
Poland
Katowice
Silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A3: Eight fields in 2v2 game.

Hegemony + Outpost as a team. Outpost Recon Center and Hegemony Transport on a board, and Outpost Runner (or Mobile Armor) starts next to Transport.
then move:

2 fields from Hegemony Transport module (1 from Transport module, but x2 becouse Recon Center is on the board).
2 fields from normal Outpost Runner ability.
2 for first "move" tile in hand.
2 for another "move" tile in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Alright some replies. I was beginning to think nobody cared.

First of all I should clarify that Q3 has 3 parts defining parameters. One thing I forgot to say is you can have no more than 4 players fighting at once in FFA and teams must be 2 v 2. When answering Q3 try to specify which parameter you're going by (Re listed below).

Quote:
a. Duplicate factions allowed (assume it does combo that way, you’ll know what I mean when you figure out the answer)

b. No Duplicate factions allowed.

c, No Duplicate factions or Teams allowed.

At least 1 of your counts is wrong but most are correct. While it might be because of not understanding an expansion I cannot comment any more on it. Good catch with the poison which by the parameters I set technically counts.

Q2. Hmmmmmmmm I've re-read how I worded the question and think I should have been clearer. The question should read

Name all the units in the game that could be granted the ability of an additional free rotation each turn without having any affect on the game.

I'll edit it up above to reflect that.

As for your answers you got most of them but not all of them I had intended (hence the clarification). However you have a few in there that should not be either way.

Q3. I do in fact mean distance covered.

Rick your answer of Outpost (and your distance described) would be correct under the parameters of "May only have 1 faction on the board".

Zachara your distance and the units you said would be correct under the parameters "May only have 2 faction on the board and No Teams" although you would need a slight modification to your setup.

If you put Hedge and OP on a team then your distance is still fine but you've left out at least 1 unit able to move that distance as well and remember I said name them all though even if you add that unit in the answer is still not correct for the b. No Duplicate factions allowed. parameter.

Think about the last 2 paragraphs and you might come up with a clue as to where you can get extra movement from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: I think I'll leave those alone.

Q2: I assumed a 60° rotation, but I if you also count 120° that would add more units/modules
Borgo: HQ
Outpost: HQ, Officer, Scoper, Saboteur, Recon Center, Scouts
Moloch: HQ, The Brain, Officer, Scout, Medic
Hegemony: HQ, Transport
Vegas: HQ, Saboteur
Smart: HQ
New York: HQ, Spy Cleaner, Sergeant, Scout
Neojungle: HQ, Vines, Swarm

I'm not sure which of these wouldn't belong though... the original list of units had the same attack/ability's on each face allowing them to rotate freely with no change in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
By rotation I meant a free rotation in any direction the player wants such as 60, 120 or 180 and remember they would get it in addition to all their other normal attacks and abilities. Rotation tiles were introduced in Las Vegas as action tiles. They were defined as "Using this tile enables a free turning of one of your own tiles."

While the Scout and Mother Mods, for example, can rotate 120 and stay the same they cannot rotate 60 or 180 and stay the same thus are not answers to the question.

Quote:
I'm not sure which of these wouldn't belong though... the original list of units had the same attack/ability's on each face allowing them to rotate freely with no change in

I'm afraid this is not true. Ignoring the ones you added since last time (which aren't correct) you still have at least 1 unit included which is most definitely NOT the same on all 6 faces. Mouse over for hint

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are 2 units you originally listed which aren't the same on all sides, both are expansion units.

As for the missing units you can mouse over here for a big hint.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
After I clarified the question it reads:
Name all the units in the game that could be granted the ability of an additional free rotation each turn without having any affect on the game.

However in your previous post you rephrased the question to read

Q2: What tiles can are rotationally symmetric?

The missing units would NOT be viable answers to your re-worded question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.