Subject: Design Q - More cards, less components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Built and played this game for the first time tonight after seeing it won 3rd in the contest.

First, I really like the simplicity. It has a real challenge to it, decent balance of luck and strategy to hold my interest.

There was one thing I was thinking about however as I was playing: the extra components and player mat.

The challenge the mat presents is that it is large, and cannot be placed in a deck box, making the game mostly compact. Additionally, the counters also give the game more bulk than necessary.

So, here's my thought:

Can the elements of the player mat and counters instead be turned into additional cards?

Examples:
The Shire and Mount Dune locations could be one card each, or a double sided card.

The equipment could each be a card, and held aside until earned.

Even the health counters could be done as 10 (or 12) heart icons on one card, or I would suggest 6 each on 2 cards, and the accounting for health performed similarly to the way scoring is kept in a game of Euchre (by covering the hearts on the first card with the second card as they are used).

The Witch King tokens could be done in a similar way with either three Witch King Cards or three icons on one card covered with a Double sided Ring card (one side is unused and the other used).

All in all these would add a minimum of 12 cards to the game (Maximum of 16 or so). This would bring the deck from 55 cards (counting the Mission card) to 70 or 72. Not perfect for Artscow, but it would make for more compact game play and storage.

My

What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea indeed.

In the beginning of the design process (dunno if you read the thread from the beginning) there were 60 cards and very few items.
Though I decided to reduce the cards to 54 (thanx to some very useful suggestions I got from others) so I could make a deck woth Artscow.

I have thought of some "variants" to avoid keeping track of items, and witch kings: just take your item card out of the deck, and place it in the discard pile after use; same thing with the Nazguls.
As for wounds, I used the tokens from LOTR:LCG, and to keep track of turns, I picked a progress token, again from the LOTQR:LCG.

If you come up other ides, I would gladly hear them.

Cheers and glad you like the game
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sena
United States
Cranston
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found this little gem and downloaded the files. It will make a good lunchtime game.
Regarding the playmat, it was thinking of printing on an iron-on transfer and asking the wife to se together a little bag. I will iron on the palymat onto the outside ofthe bag. All the cards and components can then be placed in the bag and wrapped up when I'm done playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gldnbear93 wrote:
I just found this little gem and downloaded the files. It will make a good lunchtime game.
Regarding the playmat, it was thinking of printing on an iron-on transfer and asking the wife to se together a little bag. I will iron on the palymat onto the outside ofthe bag. All the cards and components can then be placed in the bag and wrapped up when I'm done playing.

That would be so cool!!! You HAVE GOT TO post pics when it'll be all done.

Glad you like the game.
Cheers
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea.I have only played on vassal but the extra cards would make playability easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For we homebuilers more cards is less an issue, so an expansion offering is always good.

The play mat could be broken into a series of cards too, one to track health, and the witch kings, a 3rd the time passage and that would go in a card box easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.