Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BB tactics quiz! I already did an article on beginner tactics and strategies (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/267577/beginner-strategy...) a while back and had been thinking about how to do a more advanced article. There's so much to discuss I decided I'm just going to do it in small parts and make a sort of quiz from it. I present a situation and set a certain goal to achieve. The solution will be presented in [ o ] spoiler quotes. Feel free to post your solutions, but post them in [ o ] spoiler tags as well.
The rules:
Unless noted otherwise all players are out of the box rookie (refer to the rulebook for stats/skills).
When I write a block I mean any action that makes you roll block dice (both Block action and Blitz action).
The weather is always assumed to be perfect BB weather.
You don't have any team rerolls (skill rerolls do work) nor any funky inducements like wizards available.
A failed action ends your turn as usual.
You only have disposal of the players described in the diagram.

Enough talk, let's get on with it and start with an easy one! The Orky Orcs are playing the Woody Wood Elves. The orcs are trying to hem the elves in and have placed their 4 blitzers (green B's) in contact with an opposing catcher (yellow C) and three linemen (yellow L's). The Orc head coach is already drooling at the prospect of ripping some elves apart next turn but first the wood elves get to play their turn. You, the brilliant wood elf coach, need to show those drooling green brutes that elves aren't so easy to dismember. To do that you need to make sure none of the orc blitzers can make a Block Action next turn, and you are not allowed to suffer a turnover from a failed action (so blocking yourself down to avoid getting hit is not an option).

click here to see the setup:
http://www.play-creator.com/viewplay.asp?viewplay=9898

It's a new turn for the elves so you have all the standard actions available to you with the standard restrictions (eg only 1 Blitz).

You sacrifice a small furry animal to Nuffle to see the things to come and Nuffle kindly grants you a peek at the future:
- the first dodge roll you make will be a 2, every dodge roll after that will be a 1!
- any one-die, or two-die opponent chooses, block you attempt will yield only Attacker Down results.
- any two-die you choose block you attempt will yield a Defender Down result.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Solution:
1. BLITZ action with any lineman: Dodge out (first dodge succeeds) and hit the Blitzer marking the Catcher. The catcher gives you an assist to get a 2-die block. The Orc Blitzer goes down and you continue to move next to one of the Blitzers marking a lineman.
2. MOVE action with the catcher: move next to the other Blitzer marking the other lineman.
3. BLOCK action with the 2 remaining linemen. They Both have an assist, meaning 2-die block so they knock their markers down. -> 3 Blitzers knocked down and the fourth has no player in his Tackle Zone!

Comments:

In general it's better to make 2-die Blocks rather then Dodges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here we are with part 2. This time the dastardly dark elves (purple) face the cold-blooded lizardmen (blue). It's turn 8 in the second half and with 0-0 on the board they need to score. Unfortunately they only have 3 players left: a Blitzer (B), a Witch Elf (WE) and a Lineman (L) which also has the ball.
The only thing between them and the endzone is a wall of Saurus (S) and Skinks (SK).

this is the setup:
http://www.play-creator.com/viewplay.asp?viewplay=9905

You are the Dark Elf coach and you need your team to score this turn! You sacrifice a small scaly animal and Nuffle grants you a look into the future. You get to see the Block Dice and agility rolls to come, in order (may be more then you need).

Agility rolls:
2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 4

Block Dice:
ATACKER DOWN, PUSH, ATTACKER DOWN, PUSH, ATTACKER DOWN, DEFENDER DOWN, BOTH DOWN

so, for example: if the blitzer makes a 2-die block on a skink he rolls ATTACKER DOWN, PUSH and the upcoming results will be:
ATTACKER DOWN, PUSH, ATTACKER DOWN, DEFENDER DOWN, BOTH DOWN
Spoiler (click to reveal)

HAND OFF with the lineman: move next to the Saurus next to the side line and handoff to the with elf. The first agility roll is a 2, so this succeeds!

remaining AG rolls:
1, 2, 2, 1, 4

new situation:
http://www.play-creator.com/viewplay.asp?viewplay=9906

BLITZ with the Witch Elf: straight ahead blitz on the Skink. It's 2-die becuase the Saurus is marked by the Lineman so can't assist. The Block yields ATACKER DOWN, PUSH so we choose the push and push the skink straight ahead.

the upcoming Block dice are:
ATTACKER DOWN, PUSH, ATTACKER DOWN, DEFENDER DOWN, BOTH DOWN

The Witch Elf has Frenzy so gets a second Block: again ATTACKER DOWN, PUSH, again we choose the push and push the Skink diagonally towards the sideline.
This gives us this situation:
http://www.play-creator.com/viewplay.asp?viewplay=9907

The Witch elf still has movement left so Dodges out diagonally towards the one tackle zone free square. Agility roll for the Dodge: 1! Failure!

remaining AG rolls:
2, 2, 1, 4

But the Witch Elf has Dodge so she gets to reroll: next agility roll is a 2 -> Success -> a free run into the endzone for the winning Touchdown!!

Comments:
When moving through a lot of Tackle Zones keep your eyes open for Block/Blitzing opportunities: follow ups don't require Dodge rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is really cool. I'll have a proper think about it when I get te chance. Just wanted to point out that the link on your first post indicates it is a private play that only the creator an view. Might need changing!

Thanks for taking the time to put these problems together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdwalkley wrote:
This is really cool. I'll have a proper think about it when I get te chance. Just wanted to point out that the link on your first post indicates it is a private play that only the creator an view. Might need changing!

Thanks for taking the time to put these problems together!

Thx for the heads up! I changed it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With frenzy your suppose to keep hitting until the opponent is down so for the last entry you would have to push push then down defender and finish blitz run in end-zone.

-LMK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikiro wrote:
With frenzy your suppose to keep hitting until the opponent is down so for the last entry you would have to push push then down defender and finish blitz run in end-zone.

-LMK

Nope, that was the case in the old rules (3rd ed). They changed this rule and limited it to max 1 extra block because otherwise the skill is waaaaay too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOOOOOOOh I have the LRB6 hybrid book that didn't change that.

-LMK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.