Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best Dice to Cull? Strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alec
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty apparent that when culling dice, you want to get rid of your weakest dice that aren't contributing much, and increase the probability of drawing your stronger ones.

In my group we've yet to decide on an overall "best" strategy to go about doing this. I'll often get rid of my assistants first, and if there are none of those, some basic quiddity. Have others found a strong plan of action?

Do you cull every single chance you can? Thus far, my group does. I feel that you can keep culling away quiddity because one or two of your creatures will inevitably end up of a "2" or "3" face, and rolling a bunch of dice with a few "2" faces seems to cancel out the problem of being too short to summon creatures late game.

I'm interested to hear what others have come across in this aspect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always cull quiddity first. Assistants are OK in the early phase, because they give you quiddity and re-rolls and if you happen not to roll anything better they can always be a creature that, if you're lucky enough, no one will destroy and you'll score 1 point and cull another dice with. Also with the remodeling dice (the pink one) you can change assistants into 4-cost dice - quiddity dice can only be changed to 3-cost dice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it varies quite a lot based on number of players. Assistants are a lot stronger in a 2 player game than in a 4 player game. So by default I'd say assistant with 4 players, basic quiddity in 2 players. I suspect there is no hard-and-fast rule though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Tolle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to cull all of my starting dice until one game I was winning approximately 17 to 2 and had culled down to a few dice of only large creatures, which I couldn't summon. I was then beaten. Since then I cull about 2 or 3 Assistants and 0 to 4 Basic Quiddity depending on the cards available. Keeping an Assistant or 2 can allow you to possibly get a re-roll later when you desperately need it or a creature you won't mind sacrificing. Keeping a few Basic Quiddity dice will help ensure that you'll consistently be able to summon creatures when they roll and buy larger dice. Also, I recommend buying Portals. Most games I try for at least 2. This keeps many dice coming which allows for more creatures and better buys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xcard wrote:
I used to cull all of my starting dice until one game I was winning approximately 17 to 2 and had culled down to a few dice of only large creatures, which I couldn't summon. I was then beaten. Since then I cull about 2 or 3 Assistants and 0 to 4 Basic Quiddity depending on the cards available. Keeping an Assistant or 2 can allow you to possibly get a re-roll later when you desperately need it or a creature you won't mind sacrificing. Keeping a few Basic Quiddity dice will help ensure that you'll consistently be able to summon creatures when they roll and buy larger dice. Also, I recommend buying Portals. Most games I try for at least 2. This keeps many dice coming which allows for more creatures and better buys.


How could you cull all your starting dice (12 dice) without having already won?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alot of people insist that culling assistants first is the way to go but i dont see that as the right plan of action. i find that assistants get you your first 2-4 culls in a game. I also feel that the reroll ability of the assistants is very strong once you stockpile a couple portals and a few good creatures since theres nothing worse than rolling the 1 quid side of a portal die or when you really wanna wreck someone with a dragon you roll the quid side of it. i always cull away the basic quid die first personally.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cull assistants. Cull assistants fast.

Then quiddity. In a 4 player game, don't even worry about "over-culling". The game will be over long before that could happen. And I'm not sure it really can happen to begin with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
msg tools
I have had good success with my first 5 culls being basic quid. Then i usually cull 2 assistants. Yes, cull every chance u get imo. I feel like having assistants in the begining is super important. I find the person who scores/culls first has the advantage...

What is the "advantage" of culling starting (scoring/culling) creatures /w rerolls over dice worth mostly 1 quid? Especially early...

Edit: ^This is in refrence to a 2 player game. I've only played a handful of 4 player games, so i can't comment on that...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[Bad advice] Always cull your Dragons and Portals first, you don't need them cluttering up your dice bag. Keep your basic quiditty, NO MATTER WHAT, cause you need them. For stuff. Don't ask questions. Buy more assistants, the more the better. Trust me. [/Bad advice]
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I cull based on what I'm aiming for in the game.

Mostly I might start culling quiddity, and after a couple move on to assistants. Once I've got the creatures I need, I might cull things that generate more quiddity (but not those which grab more dice).

I don't do it all the time, because there comes a point where you can go too far and leave yourself short, just like sometimes its worse to buy than let quiddity go to waste.

However, one of my favourites is the ooze which feeds off quiddity, and if I'm using that as the core of my game I will leave the basic quiddity alone, and instead cull other stuff (such as assitants) and even replace them with more basic quiddity (other people's culls).

So for me it depends entirely on what's in the wilds and what I've got in my bag.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
WiltChamberlain wrote:
xcard wrote:
I used to cull all of my starting dice until one game I was winning approximately 17 to 2 and had culled down to a few dice of only large creatures, which I couldn't summon. I was then beaten. Since then I cull about 2 or 3 Assistants and 0 to 4 Basic Quiddity depending on the cards available. Keeping an Assistant or 2 can allow you to possibly get a re-roll later when you desperately need it or a creature you won't mind sacrificing. Keeping a few Basic Quiddity dice will help ensure that you'll consistently be able to summon creatures when they roll and buy larger dice. Also, I recommend buying Portals. Most games I try for at least 2. This keeps many dice coming which allows for more creatures and better buys.


How could you cull all your starting dice (12 dice) without having already won?


There are cards that allow the culling of multiple dice - if you score with them it should be simple enough to strip yourself of basic quiddity. It is a fairly specialised scenario, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ullrich

Cherry Hill
New Jersey
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an interesting concept that culling strategy should change based on number of players. In a 3 or 4 player game, assistants really seem to bite the dust, I guess due to the extra attacks going around.

Otherwise, I cull based on what I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes I feel like hanging onto my assistants and culling Quidity. I have a fear of getting stuck with quidity after culling all of my assistants.

Also, I've been thinking, if I can spare the buys, picking up growth spells and culling quidity might be an attractive option in just about any game. However, it is hard to not use that buy for a portal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing with a swarm strategy that doesn't cull anything and buys heavily into portals so I burn through my bag faster. The assistants have worked well as wound soakers to protect the other dice and if the knights are in, assistants actually are a scoring threat.

This strategy doesn't work however if the dragon that kills all level 1 creatures is in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
msg tools
Time 2 Roll wrote:
I've been playing with a swarm strategy that doesn't cull anything and buys heavily into portals so I burn through my bag faster. The assistants have worked well as wound soakers to protect the other dice and if the knights are in, assistants actually are a scoring threat.

This strategy doesn't work however if the dragon that kills all level 1 creatures is in the game.


This is a great point. The best cull strategy is obviously the one that allows you to accomplish your goal as quick as possible....

If your goal is to buff assistants with a warrior/ spells, then culling them wouldn't make sense.
If your goal is to get a dragon as quick as possible (sacrificing early scores/culls) then culling assistants along with buying portals/ growth spells would make more sense.

Which strat is more viable is a different discussion. The bottom line is, before you go asses the cards in the wilds and decide what your going to try to accomplish, adapt to what your opponenet(s) are doing if necessary/possible. Then cull accordingly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WiltChamberlain wrote:
xcard wrote:
I used to cull all of my starting dice until one game I was winning approximately 17 to 2 and had culled down to a few dice of only large creatures, which I couldn't summon. I was then beaten. Since then I cull about 2 or 3 Assistants and 0 to 4 Basic Quiddity depending on the cards available. Keeping an Assistant or 2 can allow you to possibly get a re-roll later when you desperately need it or a creature you won't mind sacrificing. Keeping a few Basic Quiddity dice will help ensure that you'll consistently be able to summon creatures when they roll and buy larger dice. Also, I recommend buying Portals. Most games I try for at least 2. This keeps many dice coming which allows for more creatures and better buys.


How could you cull all your starting dice (12 dice) without having already won?

Ghostly Spirits. They have saved my life more than once.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario odde
Italy
Scalenghe (TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Cull assistants. Cull assistants fast.

Then quiddity. In a 4 player game, don't even worry about "over-culling". The game will be over long before that could happen. And I'm not sure it really can happen to begin with.


since I switched to this strategy (always cull, keep your dice pool small - 12 to 13 dice, summon everything you've got) I manage to win most of my games.
The game ends before other players catch up even if we go for 20 points.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on what you have been buying. If you have been buying plenty of monsters then culling basic quiddity with a focus on culling assistance would be fine. If you have been buying spells that increase quidity then you may as well cull quiddity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.