Subject: Heavy Treasure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Miller
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Lugging around all that treasure is heavy!

- For each treasure figurine that you posses you take one fewer action per turn (in a two-player game, the cost is reduced by half. One fewer action per every two figurines a player posses)
- Treasure can be traded in the same way as treasure cards, or left on the tile (each for the cost of one action)
- Treasure that has been left on the tile can be picked up by other players (costs one action)
- If a tile sinks while treasure is on it, the treasure floats towards land in the direction of its nearest temple (alternate rule: treasure doesn't float, you left it in a bad spot and that's your own fault. Game over!)

Thoughts? I wanted to add some relevance to the (amazing looking) treasure figurines.

-Spencer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it.
I'm going to start using this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Miller
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Great, let me know how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the concept of found treasure slowing a person down by an equal number of actions (-1 action per treasure) .. And being able to swap it with another player as one does cards makes perfect thematic sense too ..

I think the treasure should sink if the tile does, so leaving it unattended is quite a risk, and it may be safer to lug it back and hide it on the plane ..

Thanks Heaps for sharing your ideas, I'll definitely give it a go and report back some time next week thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hodge
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Deliver the treasure safely at Fool's Landing. If it sinks there, you're done for anyway. I don't think it would be needed to use actions to pick up the treasure at the end of the game. I would assume it's already on the helicopter.

Sounds fun! I could imagine this as one of a few different challenges, where maybe you draw a challenge card at the start of the game to find out what extra rule will apply to this session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Miller
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I gave this some more thought over the weekend... I think picking up and dropping the treasure can be a free action. Pick up still essentially costs an action, because as soon as you do it you'll have one fewer action that turn. And allowing a treasure drop to be a free action leads to neat decisions (e.g. whether to dump treasure on a flooded tile to gain enough actions to dash over to a more critical area, knowing that you'll have to return to where you left it at some point).

Still polishing it out, obviously, but I think it has some promise! Glad you guys like the variant.

-S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely brilliant, and this makes the plastic pieces more than just pretty ornaments, and really gives each move a critical decision as to how far you need to move or where to store the treasure....who can pick it up for you to get to fools landing.
So many decisions.........great one!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Lucky
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I was about to make that suggestion. I thought that it would stop my boys arguing over who is getting the treasure (they haven't fully understood that it is a cooperative game). Now there is a disadvantage over carrying the treasure no one will want to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
oops, I thought I'd already given an update on this but see that I haven't .. We liked the variation so much that we continue to play using it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potentially a slightly less severe variant would to reduce the maximum number of move actions you can take in a turn (for each carried treasure) rather than reducing the total number of allowed actions in a turn. [Diver and Navigator should also count their special abilities towards the "Move" action limit when treasure is being moved). ]

(Obviously for the Pilot this wouldn't be a disadvantage - but maybe that's ok otherwise rule it costs an additional action to fly with treasure)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.