Subject: Yellowstone/Tetons vacation photos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: photos [+] [View All]
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple years ago I went to Acadia and shared some photos - people seemed to enjoy them. Here are some photos from my recent excursion to a pair of more impressive national parks:

Castle Geyser:

Mormon Row barns:

After sunset from Signal Mountain, pointing at the Tetons:

Mt. Moran from Jenny Lake:

Grand Prismatic Pool:

Morning Glory pool:

Terraces:

Sunset at Antelope Island:

Bison at Yellowstone:

Deer at Antelope Island, hiding behind a sunflower:

Lower Falls, Yellowstone:

More are available here if you're interested:
http://jforbes.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Yellowstone-and-Grand-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been there several times as a kid on summer vacations. The last time I saw Yellowstone was in 1991. Your photos bring back a lot of good memories. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some really impressive shots! Do you use a wide angle lens or photo stitching? I'm really curious to know what equipment you use. do you do any post processing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jforbes wrote:

I'm really impressed with this one. The sky isn't overexposed, but you still have details in the shaded parts of the house. I'm dying to know how you got this shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The sphincter of the Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jforbes wrote:

Didn't even notice it until I looked again! Excellent hiding place!

And I'm amazed at your photos. Beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith -

Yes, wide angle.

How did I shoot the barns and houses? I woke up way before the sun rose, arrived before the sun rose, and waited for perfection. I knew before I went on location that on sunrise, the sun perfectly lights up the buildings in the area. The sun crests over mountains on the other side, so as the sky brightens there are opportunities to shoot in dawn's twilight for a little while (The wide picture of the barn was well before sunrise). The vertical shots of the barn were from the following day, closer to 9AM than 6AM, and you can see by the shadows that the sun is higher in the sky. I waited at the other barn for the top of the tetons to light up, and when I moved on to the next subjects is when they lit up. I was also there the following morning a bit later, when the light was still good. I probably walked back and forth between bison shit for 5 minutes getting the camera set up perfectly. The image is not cropped. When I shot it, I increased the exposure until there was a tiny area in the clouds that was overexposed, and used a bit of highlight recovery to bring it back. Essentially, I maximized the dynamic range of my camera, which does very well with highlights and average with shadows (Canon 7D)

Specifics: pushed the exposure on that one somewhat - about 3/4 stop up, increased the black point (making the darker stuff black), highlight recovery to bring the tiniest bit of missing detail from the clouds back. It's not stitched, it's not multiple exposures - it looks pretty much like how it would look on slide film, but there would be less detail in the clouds. I like a sort of Kodachrome look - nice, vivid colors but not super vivid a la Velvia, but I don't try to process it to look like anything specific, I just massage the image a little bit. It looks good with no adjustments.

It was also smokey that morning from a fire - you can see it a bit in that picture, and can see it in the other pictures from the area a little bit more. This was shot before sunrise, pointing to where the sun would be rising from - a lot more smoke is visible there:

If you're curious about specific gear:

Canon 7D
Canon 10-22mm F3.5-4.5
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8
Canon 100-400mm F4-5.6L

Tripod, cable release, used a neutral density filter for a couple of the pictures with moving water, but it didn't see much use. Also used an ND grad filter for a couple of them.

Many of the photos are shot with a circular polarizing filter. The one you referred to was shot with one. I use a B+W, it's extremely good (It had better be!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
jforbes wrote:

Didn't even notice it until I looked again! Excellent hiding place!

And I'm amazed at your photos. Beautiful.

That was the only one where I actually got the deer in focus. I have a pretty cool reject image which has a flower significantly in front of the deer in focus - you can barely see a blur where the deer is. Maybe I'll upload it later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Wow, great shots!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredyth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful shots!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff, Thanks for the information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I aim to please.

;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.